Local rivalry- no black and white answers
Just had a big chat with my daughter's friend's dad about the play-offs -he's a Villa fan who would rather avoid us as he hates local derbies, very similar to me.
Now this is over Solihull way, and he's mid 40s, so grew up with Blues totally the enemy. Me, brought up in Bearwood, it was purely Villa.
It got us talking the Midland rivalries and how when he worked in Cov in the 90s he found it amusing that Cov saw Villa as a big derby, when Villa could not give a toss.
I've always thought with rivalries, it depends on where you live and who you work with. For instance I'd guess there's many Villa fans over Handsworth way and over the border who care much more about Albion. Certainly at my school in the late 70s no Villa fans were overly bothered about Blues.
In all, we have two somewhat uneven derbies in the Mids with their loathing of a club. All Wolves bile is aimed as us, where half of us aren't that bothered. With Blues all their hatred is purely with Villa.
What we and Villa share is two really hostile derbies, so the answer to rivalry is far from black and white. 
Equally, when Villa fans say they don't care about us, it's fair to say some might not, but those sitting around on their flippers besides them might be.
What is also true is meeting a lot ups the ante. Think many Villa fans feel very different about us the past 10 years than the decade before. It could move up another notch next few weeks.
Yes. I worked with an obnoxious Blues fan once who was always full of 'banter.' When we did them as we generally do I got more pleasure than I had in ages from a win, looking at his fat crimson head on the Monday.
A Villa twat from Gloucester working in Bristol will have no connection with us, but one from Oldbury working in Smethwick will feel very different.
Villa are cunts. The rest are ok.
There is a black & white answer if you support Sunderland.
At my school in terms of local teams it was all Wolves, limited very quiet Albion and about 3 Villa and 1 Blues. This set my attitude. As an adult, very similar now, although a lot more Albion fans have come out the woodwork, giving a decent mix, although still massively outnumbered. Hate the feckers.

Dislike Villa, purely as they are a local team, and recent years have been a bit irksome, but don’t really have a lot of beef with them, as I barely know any Villa fans. So no point or motivation. If anything if Villa become our overall main rival, it would annoy Wolves fans, so slightly tempted by that.

Fully understand circumstances are probably totally reversed with a lot of Albion fans, having their noses rubbed in it by Villa fans for years.
Didn't meet a Wolves fan until I was 18. Big one has always been Villa for me. But i think we've had this debate once or twice before.
(04-24-2019, 09:27 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Didn't meet a Wolves fan until I was 18. Big one has always been Villa for me. But i think we've had this debate once or twice before.

It has been. However, I get fed up when there’s the set in stone answers and it’s subjective. There’ll never be a similar thread on a Wolves messageboard. 
Worth adding that the Wolves derby, although important, really spiced up to a new level in the Steve Bull era. It’s maintained that level since and having worked in Dudley at one point I totally get it.
A lot does depend on the circumstances of the rivalry at a given time as well as personal geography. For instance, in recent years we’ve played Villa more than Wolves and Villa have played us more than Blues have played them. To add to this it’s 14 years since Blues last beat Villa. The competitive edge on the field will have an effect. Meanwhile recent years has seen us challenge them and be top dogs. That all has an effect.
The Vile.
I hate both sets of cunts with a passion, hope thats black and white enough? I look forward to your next weekly post on this subject