Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capital of the Black Country
Was watching an old re-run of 'Millionaire' last night (I lead an exciting life). One of the questions was 'What region is known as the 'Capital of the Black Country'?'. I have the excuse that I've been exiled down South for many years, and that the word 'region' put me off a bit, but my wife, who's a Southerner, was absolutely gob-smacked when I said I wasn't sure of the answer.
Is this a really well-known fact, that everyone will know without looking it up, or am I allowed some sort of a reprieve?
Dudley.
Dudley. Obviously.
Yep, It's Dudley. The centre's supposed to be the castle, isn't it? "An hour's weary trudge" and all that.
Correct, all of you - and since I lived down the road in Tipton, I should hang my head in shame. Mind you, when I was younger, it deserved it's unofficial title - Birdcage Walk, The Safari, Queen Mary Ballroom, The Jazz Club, thriving market, loads of good pubs, etc.
If I ever go through it nowadays, looking at that bloody awful area surrounded by bus stations and noting the effect that Merry Hell has had on the place, it makes me want to weep.
Dudley. 

No argument in this respect.

(10-07-2016, 10:43 AM)74bus Wrote: Correct, all of you - and since I lived down the road in Tipton, I should hang my head in shame. Mind you, when I was younger, it deserved it's unofficial title - Birdcage Walk, The Safari, Queen Mary Ballroom, The Jazz Club, thriving market, loads of good pubs, etc.
If I ever go through it nowadays, looking at that bloody awful area surrounded by bus stations and noting the effect that Merry Hell has had on the place, it makes me want to weep.

When I first started full time employment in 1988 it was in Dudley.

The town had Beatties, Marks & Spencer, Next (when it was top quality), Littlewoods, British Home Stores, C&A, Woolworths, etc., etc., etc.

I bought a pair of leather driving gloves from M&S, made in West Germany, still got them.

Merry Hill then came along, courtesy of the Albion-supporting Richardson brothers and that was it. One by one the good shops closed.

What I would say is that Dudley is past it's worst point and the improvements to the Market Place and building of several significant college sites, among others, has greatly improved it.

It's OK now, and getting better.
Surely its Wolvertrampton? It's the biggest city/town of the area! Rowley Church is the center of the old BC before areas like Smethwick jumped on the bandwagon!
(10-07-2016, 11:08 AM)gertcha Wrote: Surely its Wolvertrampton? It's the biggest city/town of the area! Rowley Church is the center of the old BC before areas like Smethwick jumped on the bandwagon!

Wolverhampton in the Black Country?  Dodgy
(10-07-2016, 11:14 AM)wewerehereonce Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 11:08 AM)gertcha Wrote: Surely its Wolvertrampton? It's the biggest city/town of the area! Rowley Church is the center of the old BC before areas like Smethwick jumped on the bandwagon!

Wolverhampton in the Black Country?  Dodgy
Wolvertrampton Is Not In The Black Country!
All Greater Birminingham innit? Tongue