Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capital of the Black Country
It will be all greater Birmingham soon and sooner the better will lift the black country to another level and bring more

money and jobs to a floundering part of the midlands
Wolverhampton is too far north - it's pasrt of South Staffordshire and not in the Black Country. It says it is because it's bereft of any real identity and needs something to cling to.
(10-07-2016, 10:48 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: Dudley. 

No argument in this respect.

(10-07-2016, 10:43 AM)74bus Wrote: Correct, all of you - and since I lived down the road in Tipton, I should hang my head in shame. Mind you, when I was younger, it deserved it's unofficial title - Birdcage Walk, The Safari, Queen Mary Ballroom, The Jazz Club, thriving market, loads of good pubs, etc.
If I ever go through it nowadays, looking at that bloody awful area surrounded by bus stations and noting the effect that Merry Hell has had on the place, it makes me want to weep.

When I first started full time employment in 1988 it was in Dudley.

The town had Beatties, Marks & Spencer, Next (when it was top quality), Littlewoods, British Home Stores, C&A, Woolworths, etc., etc., etc.

I bought a pair of leather driving gloves from M&S, made in West Germany, still got them.

Merry Hill then came along, courtesy of the Albion-supporting Richardson brothers and that was it. One by one the good shops closed.

What I would say is that Dudley is past it's worst point and the improvements to the Market Place and building of several significant college sites, among others, has greatly improved it.

It's OK now, and getting better.

[Image: poXjhnPcj]
(10-07-2016, 11:27 AM)paddock seats Wrote: It will be all greater Birmingham soon and sooner the better will lift the black country to another level and bring more

Does the next level involve entertainment?
(10-07-2016, 12:43 PM)MGalea Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 11:27 AM)paddock seats Wrote: It will be all greater Birmingham soon and sooner the better will lift the black country to another level and bring more

Does the next level involve entertainment?

You won't be able to move for entertainment when electricity finally reaches the BC
(10-07-2016, 11:25 AM)cunninghamismagic Wrote: All Greater Birminingham innit? Tongue
Soon will have to be! How else will we get the merger for the Midlands United FC.
(10-07-2016, 12:09 PM)Peachy Wrote: [Image: poXjhnPcj]

That was EXACTLY my thought when I read that post!! Smile

Not sure AP would have gone for a German pair though...
(10-07-2016, 01:12 PM)Baggie_Shrek Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 12:09 PM)Peachy Wrote: [Image: poXjhnPcj]

That was EXACTLY my thought when I read that post!! Smile

Not sure AP would have gone for a German pair though...

Flattery will get you everywhere.
When did Merry Hills first phase spring up? Was it 1990?
In the days of mail making all the bosses met in Dudley and it was regarded as the main town. Not least because of the aristocratic connections.