Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capital of the Black Country
(10-07-2016, 09:40 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 09:29 PM)swordfish Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 10:43 AM)74bus Wrote: Correct, all of you - and since I lived down the road in Tipton, I should hang my head in shame. Mind you, when I was younger, it deserved it's unofficial title - Birdcage Walk, The Safari, Queen Mary Ballroom, The Jazz Club, thriving market, loads of good pubs, etc.
If I ever go through it nowadays, looking at that bloody awful area surrounded by bus stations and noting the effect that Merry Hell has had on the place, it makes me want to weep.

Dow ferget JBs....

I never frequented the place but I know quite a few that did and it seemed to have almost cult status.

What was that dodgy nightclub by the zoo called? On stilts.

Bentley's
(10-07-2016, 09:53 PM)gertcha Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 10:43 AM)74bus Wrote: Correct, all of you - and since I lived down the road in Tipton, I should hang my head in shame. Mind you, when I was younger, it deserved it's unofficial title - Birdcage Walk, The Safari, Queen Mary Ballroom, The Jazz Club, thriving market, loads of good pubs, etc.
If I ever go through it nowadays, looking at that bloody awful area surrounded by bus stations and noting the effect that Merry Hell has had on the place, it makes me want to weep.

Dow ferget JBs....

I never frequented the place but I know quite a few that did and it seemed to have almost cult status.

Bentley's

That's the one! Never went but heard the stories. Wasn't there also one called Patrick's in aWednesbury? And another dodgy one by the cinema in West Brom
Did they ever get that shitty monorail working at Merry Hill?

[Image: 13804624174_6ed2c4d26a_b.jpg]

(10-07-2016, 12:44 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 12:43 PM)MGalea Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 11:27 AM)paddock seats Wrote: It will be all greater Birmingham soon and sooner the better will lift the black country to another level and bring more

money and jobs to a floundering part of the midlands

Does the next level involve entertainment?

You won't be able to move for entertainment when electricity finally reaches the BC

Hopefully Brum council will hand out free prescriptions for nasal spray for all yow lot so you can actually speak with a bit of coherent diction.
(10-07-2016, 10:14 PM)wewerehereonce Wrote: Did they ever get that shitty monorail working at Merry Hill?

[Image: 13804624174_6ed2c4d26a_b.jpg]

Yes they have - where it got transported to, Australia !
As possibly the odest Blackcountry mon on this booard, born and bred in Brierley Hill and still gooin strong, despite  growin up in the smoke and dust, I must say the capital is Dudleh. Theer yoe bin, straight from the hosses mouth Big Grin

Dow ferget JBs....

Bentley's
I can remember when there were actual birds in birdcage walk and The Albion was always a favourite watering hole of mine.
Bentleys wasn't actually that bad, and teddy grays is still going strong. There are actually some really nice builbings in Dudley if you take the time to look, ever since I was a nipper being dragged round the market I've always had a soft spot for the place. Have they sorted the fountain out yet?
(10-08-2016, 02:54 PM)igorbalis Wrote:

Dow ferget JBs....

Bentley's
I can remember when there were actual birds in birdcage walk and The Albion was always a favourite watering hole of mine.
Bentleys wasn't actually that bad, and teddy grays is still going strong. There are actually some really nice builbings in Dudley if you take the time to look, ever since I was a nipper being dragged round the market I've always had a soft spot for the place. Have they sorted the fountain out yet?

Yeah, had some good nights at Bentley's. Actually went there on my stag night.
(10-08-2016, 02:54 PM)igorbalis Wrote:

Dow ferget JBs....

Bentley's

Echoes my early years exactly. Used to love the 'parrots' as a kid. The Shrewsbury Arms was a decent pub during my youth. Often enjoyed a bevvy in Dudley and the old JBs was legendary. You always had to keep an eye out for trouble but on the whole there was a lot about the place I liked. Not set foot there for a very long time.
(10-07-2016, 08:38 PM)King Astle Wrote: Did it? I definitely remember working on it a yr or 2 after leaving school and I left in 1987. Did they build it in phases then as I may have worked on the 2nd phase if that's the case.

The first phase of the Mall was quite small, had a row of stores outside where the Halfords is, but if you walked down the actual mall with the Asda on your right hand side you'd get to the end, where the Disney store is on the corner, turn right and it was a dead end after about 20 meters. The next much larger phase I'm not sure when it started but I was working in the area in  1988 and construction was going on then.
For all the stick it gets Merry Hill bought a lot of employment to an area that was on its arse at the time.