Managers
Ron Atkinson was my all time hero
(06-14-2019, 08:13 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: In the 51 years I have followed the Baggies, we have had 31 managers, only 5 of them none British.
We have also had 18 caretaker managers, which only 2 went on to be permanent, Brian Talbot and Darren Moore, Shan is the longest serving caretaker with 12 games.
Gary Megson did permanent and then caretaker.
Megson is the longest serving with 221 + 2, followed by Alan Ashman with 182.
1 has won the F A cup, Alan Ashman, 1 has reached a League cup Final, Alan Ashman, 4 have reached F A cup Semi Finals, Ashman, Atkinson, Allen and Mowbray, 1 has reached a League cup Semi Final, Allen.
5 have won us promotion, Giles, Ardiles, Megson ( twice ), Mowbray and De Matteo.
7 have suffered relegation, Howe, Saunders, Gould, Megson, Robson, Mowbray and Moore.
Great facts.   Can't believe Sir Gary managed us for more games than Ashman, just goes to prove time really did go slower when you're young. I think Hagan was history when I first took interest so I've a real soft spot for Alan Ashman and still find it hard to believe he was sacked by our board as " we don't want to be known just as cup-fighters, we want to win the league". It is as ridiculous in hindsight as it was then!
Hate to be contradictory but it's a bit harsh having Moore on the relegations list when he actually almost achieved a miracle. Smile
(06-14-2019, 05:30 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 08:13 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: In the 51 years I have followed the Baggies, we have had 31 managers, only 5 of them none British.
We have also had 18 caretaker managers, which only 2 went on to be permanent, Brian Talbot and Darren Moore, Shan is the longest serving caretaker with 12 games.
Gary Megson did permanent and then caretaker.
Megson is the longest serving with 221 + 2, followed by Alan Ashman with 182.
1 has won the F A cup, Alan Ashman, 1 has reached a League cup Final, Alan Ashman, 4 have reached F A cup Semi Finals, Ashman, Atkinson, Allen and Mowbray, 1 has reached a League cup Semi Final, Allen.
5 have won us promotion, Giles, Ardiles, Megson ( twice ), Mowbray and De Matteo.
7 have suffered relegation, Howe, Saunders, Gould, Megson, Robson, Mowbray and Moore.
Great facts.   Can't believe Sir Gary managed us for more games than Ashman, just goes to prove time really did go slower when you're young. I think Hagan was history when I first took interest so I've a real soft spot for Alan Ashman and still find it hard to believe he was sacked by our board as " we don't want to be known just as cup-fighters, we want to win the league". It is as ridiculous in hindsight as it was then!
Hate to be contradictory but it's a bit harsh having Moore on the relegations list when he actually almost achieved a miracle. Smile

Atkinson was my favourite, but the real sobbering though that sums us up only one of those has won a major trophy and that was over 50yrs ago! Bloody criminal if you ask me.