The Athletic - West Brom Academy
Good article and rather more balanced that the usual venting on the subject.

I believe Darren Fletcher also found the set up of the Academy unusual during his time here, with regards to the mixing between the youth teams and the first teams. It's also not just Berahino who has had a poor attitude, there's certainly been reports of other players having similar, albeit not to the same extent, particularly when on loan.

Employing Appleton is a statement of intent.
I agree regarding the academy players being away from the first team. That's the right call in my opinion.
(08-05-2019, 09:16 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: I agree regarding the academy players being away from the first team. That's the right call in my opinion.

But what about the grey area? Players in between academy and first team?

As it states in article are Edwards and Leko first team players now?
The only words that are of any intrest to me, are the three at the bottom.

"Time will tell."
(08-05-2019, 09:18 AM)Super_Slav Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 09:16 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: I agree regarding the academy players being away from the first team. That's the right call in my opinion.

Presumably, once they are playing for the first team, or are in the squad, then they are First Team?
(08-05-2019, 09:18 AM)Super_Slav Wrote:

Edwards played on Saturday, it would be strange if he trained with the academy players.
(08-05-2019, 09:09 AM)Super_Slav Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 09:04 AM)tiptontown Wrote: Things move on. Let's see if things develop for the better before getting too much of a hissy fit about it.

The next 5 years won’t see the changes affect us.
All the ground work has been done by staff that are leaving.
These changes will affect club from 2025 onwards

(08-05-2019, 09:05 AM)Cuzer Wrote: It's a massive call by Dowling, especially when his stock at the club is far from secure

Doesn't sit great with me to be honest and the line on Rogers is an interesting one, I still can't understand quite why he's gone, right now, when Slav could have told him he would have featured in the 1st team this season, did we really cash in on £4m? Certainly bloody hope not!

Cuzer

Cuz,
Someone on Twitter also said that Rogers was willing to stay but club decided to accept offer of £4.2m potentially rising to £8m. Have you heard anything? I found it iffy to be honest. Rogers a die hard WBA fan too.

You mean the guy that has a friend of a friend who is ITK?

Back to square one Ziz.  You really don't help yourself.
(08-05-2019, 09:05 AM)Cuzer Wrote: It's a massive call by Dowling, especially when his stock at the club is far from secure

Doesn't sit great with me to be honest and the line on Rogers is an interesting one, I still can't understand quite why he's gone, right now, when Slav could have told him he would have featured in the 1st team this season, did we really cash in on £4m? Certainly bloody hope not!

Cuzer

The Rogers line is the most interesting piece in the whole article... 

If the club decided to cash-in for £4m when he could have been convinced to stay, that is criminal mis-management - if it was £8m, I can almost understand. Rogers looks a fantastic prospect, but £8m is hard amount of money to turn down given the low conversion rate of highly rated youngsters making it at the top level.
Genuine question for someone who knows.

Presumably, the actual academy in Halfords Lane is for the 7/8 to 16 age groups and when they sign a scholarship or professional contract they transfer to the training ground? 

Thanks.
I suppose the we not me has been chucked into the bin then