The Athletic - West Brom Academy
Further interesting development is Madeley back writing about us - good to have another “local journo” in the game
Some of it seems odd and some of it makes sense. I can totally understand the whole point of them acting like they've made it and getting Billy big boots attitudes (there's enough examples, including that knob who got arrested and claimed he was a superstar) so from that angle I get it.

I suppose it depends on how segregated the segregation really is. Surely it's good for first teamers to share with the Academy from time to time, but maybe the young were annoying some of the old heads at times too? I don't know, and I doubt that anyone outside the club really does.

As for Rogers, I don't think anyone outside the club knows the deal details either... I've seen £4m rising to £8m, £6.2m and £8m all quoted, so it's probably around the £6m mark. I've never seen him play, but I know some rate him highly, if we sign a known striker, would he really have had a chance this year as some claim? I have my doubts, sure he may turn into a World beater, or he may fall by the wayside a la Berahino, we do not know, so yes it's a gamble. What I do know is that if the £4 - £6m is added to the war chest then it certainly makes it easier to get in the proven striker that Slav wants...which has to be win win.

Also, any chance of re-formatting posts that are copied and pasted, that really was painful to read at such a huge font!
(08-05-2019, 10:25 AM)MassDebater Wrote: Also, any chance of re-formatting posts that are copied and pasted, that really was painful to read at such a huge font!

Mate, it's a piece of piss to adjust the font size, if the original poster can be bothered.
(08-05-2019, 10:12 AM)Loanee Wrote: Further interesting development is Madeley back writing about us - good to have another “local journo” in the game

Morning Steve.
(08-05-2019, 10:29 AM)Psalm23 Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 10:25 AM)MassDebater Wrote: Also, any chance of re-formatting posts that are copied and pasted, that really was painful to read at such a huge font!

Mate, it's a piece of piss to adjust the font size, if the original poster can be bothered.

Got to have something to moan about lad! Smile wouldn't be right coming on here and being positive about everything! (besides Ctrl and mousewheel makes everyone's normal fonts too small to read too!)
I think the move to create aspirations for the youth players makes perfect sense. They have to be hungry to achieve.

I think the way Dowling has gone about it is what's caused the ill feeling. Sending an email is poor and weak management imo.

He should have called a meeting with all departments to explain his reasoning. From the outside looking in it looks like he's rushed this with poor planning and communication.

Evolution not revolution.
With a few small reservations I think this is the right call
There are a lot of elements of the club that stunk of becoming stagnant and/or complacent and this is definitely one of them. I'm relieved it has been seen and action has been taken.

The big question is not if it is the right decision but whether we get the new way of doing things right and the right people in.
(08-05-2019, 11:18 AM)Peachy Wrote: I think the move to create aspirations for the youth players makes perfect sense. They have to be hungry to achieve.

I think the way Dowling has gone about it is what's caused the ill feeling. Sending an email is poor and weak management imo.

He should have called a meeting with all departments to explain his reasoning. From the outside looking in it looks like he's rushed this with poor planning and communication.

Evolution not revolution.

This exactly. It's poor management, and something that you need to discuss with people and communicate properly.

I don't get the staff being separated, but the players I understand. Surely you need a joined-up approach with all the staff to get the players ready for the first team?
"I'm not a nerd Bart. Nerds are smart"
(08-05-2019, 10:29 AM)Psalm23 Wrote:

So no appreciation to the “original poster”, who has signed up to The Athletic at a cost of £29.99, in order to make other aware of this article. It’s behind a pay wall.

You sum up some of society today with your selfish attitude IMO

To others who aren’t aware of The Athletic. It’s superb. Follow Steve Madeley on Twitter for further details.
I don't see what the issue is tbh.
The Academy staff shouldn't be treated as royalty - if they have everything now what's to look forward to in the future.
Certainly the Senior players need to be accessible to people within the club and should have regular contact with the Academy, but not on a level playing field. When the youngsters make it into the senior squad then they can have the prize.
The giving of everything on a plate to youngsters is the way to ruin some of them.
I'm with Dowling on the decision to segregate the first team from the Academy. But that's just me, I understand others who may believe that all players are even and should be treated the same. But that's not reality IMO.