Bolton
The premier League is slowly corroding the game.
(08-26-2019, 10:15 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 10:09 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: Football should be properly regulated against charlatan owners. The supporters suffer, not the pirates who get their hands on th clubs. After all, the supporters are the clubs, not the owners. They should be custodians only.

Probably time to bring in, by law if need be, 30% supporters ownership in every club. Season tickets should automatically buy one  a vote on the Board.

Would hardly say Eddie Lewis was a charlatan, he pumped hundreds of millions in and took them into Europe and the top 6 of the PL.

No one however planned for “what happens if Eddie’s no longer here” 

As I’ve said on the Bury threads, it’s a sad state of affairs when this happens to any club, but change won’t happen until fans put pressure on their own clubs and owners to operate in the right way and not turn a blind eye to financial recklessness because Of short term success.

But it's often the fans encouraging the expenditure in the first place - seeking short term success. Fuelled by the media. I seem to recall Portsmouth over reaching during a period they beat us in an important match. Pity there isn't a  much clearer system in place but its just seen as a business these days and many businesses fold every month.
This is brilliant... and depressing.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-...ball-clubs
Bolton have been in debt for over a decade. I used to work very briefly for the company who did their programme and it was well known they were running at a loss and once / if relegation occurred they would be in a mess. The fact they don’t seem to have done anything to change this in all that time is pretty terrible from the owners pov.
(08-26-2019, 05:39 PM)bradesbaggie Wrote: The premier League is slowly corroding the game.

Slowly ?
(08-27-2019, 11:41 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Bolton have been in debt for over a decade. I used to work very briefly for the company who did their programme and it was well known they were running at a loss and once / if relegation occurred they would be in a mess. The fact they don’t seem to have done anything to change this in all that time is pretty terrible from the owners pov.

The FA, EPL and EFL all need to do more and create more regulations to stop clubs over spending and jeopardising the clubs long term survival. I know clubs will always find black holes to spend more, such as selling their stadium to an owner. But surely regulations need changing. But we all know they won't change until one of the top 6 clubs in this country are affected. 

I understand there is a very difficult balance to be struck in punishing clubs who break financial rules or who are financially mis-managed but also safe guarding clubs which have been at the heart of a community for well over 100 years. 

I find it frustrating and a little worrying that a clubs financial information isn't too hard to find via Companies House, and the league organisation also see the accounts, yet everyone seemingly watches as Rome burns! Surely you'd think the relevant organisations would step in, long before the threat of administration or even liquidation.
Clarnet v2.0
(08-26-2019, 05:13 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 04:08 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: This is the epitome of modern football is shit. A cartel of plastic clubs, which have become international brands, rule the roost and the rest of us feasting on crumbs with the yearning to be at the top table.
Meanwhile kids from Oldbury wear Liverpool shirts as we battle to be relevant.
Bolton, if they go, will come back. It's desperately sad though as they're a proper old club with a decent support- recall well us pipping them in  76 to promotion and a 2-0 win for us late in the season at home.

True. Proper club and a decent away day at Burnden Park. Even more galling these clubs are crumbling while Derby played Villa for the ultimate prize and both cheated their finances to get there.

Got some great memories of Burnden, proper old football ground.  Saw us beat them 2-1 there, Robson scoring the winner if I recall.