HS2
Is up for review.

£7bn spent and it might not even happen.
Good, bin it. And may the 7bn be a lesson in such folly
Easier and cheaper to have a few more flights IMO. Just booked a flight from East Midlands to Limoges in Oct £14 quid yes £14 quid with Ryanair. Forget the train and euro star.
Not very good for the Climate though.

(08-21-2019, 09:37 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Good, bin it. And may the 7bn be a lesson in such folly

The Brum-London arm will go ahead. They are realigning the National Grid and have constructed new pylons near Chelmsley Wood and Birmingham Business Park ON A452.
We should all be taking fewer flights and train rides. With the opportunities available today for remote working and virtual meetings there is no reason for business travel not to be plummeting.
(08-21-2019, 09:51 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: We should all be taking fewer flights and train rides. With the opportunities available today for remote working and virtual meetings there is no reason for business travel not to be plummeting.

What little old UK does contributes is almost nothing to CC it's the Chinese, Yanks & Indians who are killing the place. You will be telling me we all need to do our bit next. Sorry but the truth is our contribution is microscopic.

Most people have absolutely no idea about pollution. We only just begun to recognise plastic in the oceans. Wait until the greens highlight brake dust and rubber from cars tyres are polluting our fresh water supplies.its a massive controversial subject. Probably not for this bored IMO.
A total waste of 156 Billion pounds on a vanity project, money that could be better spent on Mental Health services, Hospitals, Nurses, Ambulance and Police services, and some macadam on a few of the roads around here.
Hard not to see it as a big backhander for their chums tbh. I live about 1.5 miles from the proposed route and it goes through some very affluent areas indeed - making me question whether it was ever really going to happen. £7bn spent wow.
(08-21-2019, 09:33 AM)Duffers Wrote: Is up for review.

£7bn spent and it might not even happen.

It's indirectly cost a lot more than £7bn, and if it gets cancelled it's going to cost a lot more on top of that.

Legal disputes from contractors that had agreements with HS2 Ltd and their subcontractors, infrastructure work that has started but needs to be reversed, investment into areas that are dependant on HS2 (Birmingham Eastside) etc etc etc.

I'm still firmly confident that the first phase will go ahead, it is too far ahead to stop now and several critical infrastructure projects in Birmingham and London are depending on it. Cancelling it just shafts the North and makes HS3 more difficult, and given Boris' push for HS3 that would end up costing an eye watering amount.
£7billion we could buy 1 player for that, and pay him off over 8 years Smile