Sam Johnstone
Show me a keeper that makes no mistakes. De Gea has made a couple that led to goals already this season, same with Ederson, and Alisson had a few last season.
(09-17-2019, 01:10 PM)Sliced Wrote: Show me a keeper that makes no mistakes. De Gea has made a couple that led to goals already this season, same with Ederson, and Alisson had a few last season.

And when they make mistakes, are they not allowed to be criticised? 

Just as when they pull off brilliant saves, as Johnstone has done plenty of times, they rightly receive praise.
Clarnet v2.0
(09-17-2019, 01:06 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 08:45 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Our fans really do want to find a mistake every time he plays.

Our fans really are cunts at times.

Genuine question;

The goals conceded against Forest, Milwall and Blackburn - do you think Johnstone did nothing wrong and did everything correct?  Or could he have done better with them? 

I am aware you can rewind any goal conceded and apportion blame on anyone. I/e blame an attacker for giving the ball away, or a defender for not tracking a runner...

But the GK is the last line and his mistakes will always be highlighted. Johnstone should have saved the shot that led to the Forest goal, it was a weak effort. The lack of commanding the six yard area led to Milwall’s equaliser and he was clearly at fault for the Blackburn goal – as I said fortunately he was bailed out in the Forest and Blackburn games by his team mates.

Blackburn he was most to blame - Livermore giving away the stupid foul has a portion but we should defend it.
Forest he will be disappointed but not a howler and Bartley more at fault
Millwall he was totally blameless
(09-17-2019, 08:45 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Our fans really do want to find a mistake every time he plays.

Genuine question;

The goals conceded against Forest, Milwall and Blackburn - do you think Johnstone did nothing wrong and did everything correct?  Or could he have done better with them? 

I am aware you can rewind any goal conceded and apportion blame on anyone. I/e blame an attacker for giving the ball away, or a defender for not tracking a runner...

But the GK is the last line and his mistakes will always be highlighted. Johnstone should have saved the shot that led to the Forest goal, it was a weak effort. The lack of commanding the six yard area led to Milwall’s equaliser and he was clearly at fault for the Blackburn goal – as I said fortunately he was bailed out in the Forest and Blackburn games by his team mates.

Josh FFS do you expect every goal keeper to save every shot, never drop a ball, etc, etc
Bailed out by us scoring? this simply doesn't cover his short comings IMO. Like it or not when he was at the Seals he was voting the leagues best keeper. I openly admit having Terry playing in front of him may have helped. 
Darren, Shan and now Billic consider him better then Bond, Myhill, Palmer & Al Habsi - as these managers see the player every day and know more about football then me (and you) I accept he is our best keeper and this continual micro-viewing of any error has reached epidemic status.
I prefer to stay and focus on the positives he brings to the team, which far out weigh any negatives.
(09-17-2019, 01:23 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:

Genuine question;

Josh FFS do you expect every goal keeper to save every shot, never drop a ball, etc, etc
Bailed out by us scoring? this simply doesn't cover his short comings IMO. Like it or not when he was at the Seals he was voting the leagues best keeper. I openly admit having Terry playing in front of him may have helped. 
Darren, Shan and now Billic consider him better then Bond, Myhill, Palmer & Al Habsi - as these managers see the player every day and know more about football then me (and you) I accept he is our best keeper and this continual micro-viewing of any error has reached epidemic status.
I prefer to stay and focus on the positives he brings to the team, which far out weigh any negatives.

Exactly.

Genuine question;

This!

If Remi’s adding up still only has 1 mistake, he must be doing alright.

Johnstone has his faults and makes mistakes like every other keeper. Foster was better but anyone would think the way we treat SJ that Foster has never made a single error...

Genuine question;

He was very slow getting down for the Forest goal. Bartley was also partly culpable for backing off and allowing the shot but ultimately Johnstone takes the blame for that one, for me. The Blackburn goal was piss poor, so no arguments there.

You'll have to explain to me why a keeper is at fault for a cross not being dealt with that loops over the far post above the height of his crossbar, though. If he's in a position to claim/punch that then he's left his front post woefully exposed. That goal can be laid at the door of the geniuses that left three players unmarked at the back post.

Genuine question;

I've never once said I expect a GK to never make an error. 

I've actually applauded Johnstone when he has played well, but as per with this forum, positive statements like that get overlooked and ignored. 

I do find it odd that as soon as anyone criticises the mistakes he makes, those posters are hounded. You are allowed to point poor performances out, as long as it's justified and within reason, and not personal. 

I've said many times we could do better than Johnstone. He will cost us points. But we could do worse, and he will earn us points. He's done both this season. 

I'll leave it at that.
Clarnet v2.0