Why most won't change their minds even after yellowhammer
It's tribalism and ego mixed, and hard to say we picked the wrong side. It's like changing to becoming a Wolves fan after Lee Hughes mowed into those people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre...36371.html
If after everything that has happened you're still closing your eyes, covering your ears, ignoring the consequences whispering "leave means leave" to yourself on repeat then there's absolutely nothing that will change your mind. Not even being short of medical supplies for peoples loved ones.
Take a look at the Footymad WBA site. There's a group of posters on there with very entrenched pro Brexit views. 
No deal won't be a problem apparently.
The reasons for those that want / don’t care if we leave without a deal :

Ill informed
Vested interests
Stubborn
Not bothered about the potential harm it will cause others (selfish).
Xenophobic
Like looking for scapegoats
Ideologically very right of centre
Actively like being lied to repeatedly
Black and white view of sovereignty
Misplaced belief in proven liars
Nostalgia
Belief that things will be better without any tangible proof
As I've said before, choice confirmation bias is powerful. Its actually quite interesting in the way that people will simply *ignore* anything which opposes their entrenched viewpoint, even if the evidence is insurmountable. It's not that they actually want people to be without food or medicine, they simply refuse to process the information. Humans are weird.

Despite this, I'm vaguely hopeful we can just outnumber the right at the next election given the vast influx of new voters under 35 we've had since 2016.

Also, Jesus F'ing Christ that Footymad bored makes Stormfront look like a my little pony forum. Reminds me of the first time I brought my girlfriend to Ma Pardoe's and was embarassed to be from the black country with some of the racist, misogynistic, right wing shite the blokes at the bar were spouting.
(09-12-2019, 01:46 PM)tiptontown Wrote: Take a look at the Footymad WBA site. There's a group of posters on there with very entrenched pro Brexit views. 

Quote: Vote Farage and get Corbyn is exactly right Norton. Hold your nose and vote Margot or whoever replaces her. 
They surely can’t be worse than that “rug munching” idiot. 

I think that tells you all you need to know. The rug munching idiot is Margot James, MP for Stourbridge.
(09-12-2019, 02:12 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: As I've said before, choice confirmation bias is powerful. Its actually quite interesting in the way that people will simply *ignore* anything which opposes their entrenched viewpoint, even if the evidence is insurmountable. It's not that they actually want people to be without food or medicine, they simply refuse to process the information. Humans are weird.

Despite this, I'm vaguely hopeful we can just outnumber the right at the next election given the vast influx of new voters under 35 we've had since 2016.

Also, Jesus F'ing Christ that Footymad bored makes Stormfront look like a my little pony forum. Reminds me of the first time I brought my girlfriend to Ma Pardoe's and was embarassed to be from the black country with some of the racist, misogynistic, right wing shite the blokes at the bar were spouting.
As I've said, I know of six people, not massively political, who voted Leave who reckon they've made a mistake. Repeat that nationwide and think we'd see a very different result now.
Some will never admit it, like small-minded working class lads like those in ma Pardoes, you speak of, but as the article in the Independent said, if you bought a house and then found it was faulty you'd soon change your mind based on the new information. It's a strong simile.
(09-12-2019, 02:25 PM)baggy1 Wrote: I think that tells you all you need to know. The rug munching idiot is Margot James, MP for Stourbridge.

Indeed, B1.

Although I'd never vote for Margot, that's not a personal reflection on her; in fact I have a certain admiration for her on a number of levels. She is a centrist for a start, but also because I can imagine some of the responses an openly gay woman has had to endure in a constituency like Stourbridge - from both extremes of the political divide! Bear in mind that this was the longtime fiefdom of John Stokes - a man once described by Andrew Rawnsley as "parliament's last surviving link with the middle ages"

Setting my tribalism aside, she's actually a very decent MP.
(09-12-2019, 01:46 PM)tiptontown Wrote: Take a look at the Footymad WBA site. There's a group of posters on there with very entrenched pro Brexit views. 

That message board is populated almost entirely by ultra right wing, thick racist scumbags and I would still say that even if their views were more in line with mine. It’s a depressing place to be for any reasonable Albion fan. I would much rather not have people like them associated in any way with my football club.
(09-12-2019, 07:54 PM)BilstonBaggie Wrote:

That message board is populated almost entirely by ultra right wing, thick racist scumbags and I would still say that even if their views were more in line with mine. It’s a depressing place to be for any reasonable Albion fan. I would much rather not have people like them associated in any way with my football club.

I have a look in there occasionally and thought I'd highlight it as it seemed relevant to the OP.

I like to see reasoned debate from both sides, but couldn't believe the OTT nonsense being spouted on there. 
I'm pretty sure not all agree with those views on there, but anyone who shows any sign of disagreeing gets jumped on pretty sharpish.