FAO Dreamkiller ..Stokes downfall started long ago...
My two main STer mates were split.. one was/is "Fuller, Asmir, The Cage and Tony took us to Wembley and Europe" and the other was ok with things until this season. I think the siege mentality you boys had in the first prem season was incredible and much admired by me.. he galvanised everyone associated with the club. I can't blame some for wanting a bit of that now.
(09-17-2019, 10:17 AM)Mr vertical Wrote: My two main STer mates were split.. one was/is "Fuller, Asmir, The Cage and Tony took us to Wembley and Europe" and the other was ok with things until this season. I think the siege mentality you boys had in the first prem season was incredible and much admired by me.. he galvanised everyone associated with the club. I can't blame some for wanting a bit of that now.

Oh aye, we'd all like to be winning games and be top of the league playing in front of a loud and hostile crowd, though part of that at least was down to the joyous novelty of being back in the big time after almost a quarter of a century in the wilderness. 

I just don't get the mentality of thinking that the only man who can dig us out of the hole we're in is the one we disposed of because we were headed downbank under him, and who went on to lead you boys down with a similar record to the one Jones currently has with us. 

I appreciate you're only relaying what your mates are saying, but I'm sure you understand why I'd rather hope there's a less mind-numbingly dull way of getting us back on our feet.
(09-17-2019, 05:48 AM)Sunshine Wrote: DK seems like a ok fella but this is stoke we are talking about. Apart from the vile and the dingles it couldn't be happening to a more deserving club. They can't drop low enough for me.

Ditto
Way too much over thinking a simple game going on here. Get a sensible manager who can get the best out of the squad and you will be far better off. It’s that simple but fans and middle management football hangers on have to look for complicated reasons as to why they are fucking up. Playing a daft diamond formation with ill equipped players and a naive manager is the reason they are doing badly.
(09-17-2019, 12:26 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Way too much over thinking a simple game going on here. Get a sensible manager who can get the best out of the squad and you will be far better off. It’s that simple but fans and middle management football hangers on have to look for complicated reasons as to why they are fucking up. Playing a daft diamond formation with ill equipped players and a naive manager is the reason they are doing badly.

None of the three previous managers played a diamond formation, and they were all reasonably or very seasoned campaigners. The decline didn't exactly start with Jones.
(09-17-2019, 12:26 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Way too much over thinking a simple game going on here. Get a sensible manager who can get the best out of the squad and you will be far better off. It’s that simple but fans and middle management football hangers on have to look for complicated reasons as to why they are fucking up. Playing a daft diamond formation with ill equipped players and a naive manager is the reason they are doing badly.

Stoke have rarely set up with a diamond this season. The xG (something I'm sure you'll sneer at) points to it being their most effective system, though...
(09-17-2019, 12:40 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:

Stoke have rarely set up with a diamond this season, Malc. The xG (something I'm sure you'll sneer at) points to it being their most effective system, though...

Due to holidays I've only seen us play twice this season Malc, the opener against QPR and Saturday's game v Bristol. In both those games he set up with a diamond, and I'm fairly sure from the Oatcake that most games start with a diamond system, just not the one Jones used at Luton.

At Luton he played two centre backs, two wing backs, a diamond shaped midfield, then two up front. But due to our defensive frailties he's currently using three centre backs, two wing backs, the diamond midfield then just one up front. At various points he's reverted to a more traditional 4-4-2, which frankly, with the players we've got, I think I'd prefer.

Given that we've got one point on the board so far, the bar for being the most effective system is pretty much at ground level.
Dreamkiller, one or two on here appear happy to see Stokes position, a view I don't subscribe to. I'm old school and hate to see  the traditional old clubs go down the nick and I'm with you. My dad's old Club, Bolton Wanderers, for whom he played for for 17 seasons, on 4 quid a week, are in dire straits, Bury another traditional Northern outfit have gone. Look down the Champ and League 1 and see how many great old names are scratting in the lower divs. The football that I knew and played has as a lad in the 50s and 60s, has gone , mores the pity, I hope you pick up mate! ferenc.
I’ve really enjoyed our stoke rivalry in recent years, especially as we’re not giving them 6 points every year anymore!
In the form of his life.
(09-17-2019, 12:40 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:

Stoke have rarely set up with a diamond this season. The xG (something I'm sure you'll sneer at) points to it being their most effective system, though...

I’m going to take the word of DK on this and disagree and why is it sneering to suggest that clubs and fans over complicate football?