Trudeau his black face and why the right are rising
I sometimes think this country is the only one in which everyone wants to be outraged all the time, but seeing what has happened to Trudeau and his blacking up news story shows this is not the case.
I think the impossible standards of today's society, the willingness to use historical personal skeletons, no matter how mild, as a reason to label someone makes me wonder if liberalism is really fuelling the far right?
For instance, I truly see myself as liberal and tolerant, but I think everyone is mildly racist. In fact it's been proven, if any of you have read Malcolm Gladwell's studies you'll know this.
We live in an age due to incidents like the one with Trudeau where we are not allowed to say facts like most grooming gangs are Pakistani Muslim, most knife crime is black guys on estates, etc
The level of liberalism, carefully walking on eggshells etc, means the slightest word out of order and some Guardian reader type will fly into an intellectual rage.
I, as most of you know, am strongly Remain, hate the little Englander attitude, and welcome multiculturalism. I despise the ridiculous levels of racism stoked up by Brexit, but I can see how it has come about because until people can start having an honest debate about the real issues rather than getting outraged at some politician for his fancy dress outfit when he was young, the right will continue to grow angrier.
Yep, this willingness to be outraged is 100% fueling the rise of the far-right. Perfectly reasonable people and viewpoints being labeled 'racist' have diluted the meaning of the word so much that actual racists feel emboldened to air their views and try to claim the reasonable people for 'their team'.

I do also think that there's a lot of loud shouting in the Internet that doesn't reflect your average person on the street however. In that BBC article most of the citizens interviewed weren't bothered and rightly said that it wasn't considered racist to dress up as characters 15 years ago. Most of the 'outrage' is manufactured by politicians looking to score points and shit 'media' looking to score clicks (buzzfeed, vice et al)

I'm inclined to believe that there's a silent majority (like me) going about their lives that think the far-right are abhorrent and those on the left obsessed with identity politics are idiots.

FWIW when I was at university 13 years ago we went out dressed as the A-Team and my mate blacked up as Mr T. It never occurred to us that this was in any way racist and we were in Leicester.
(09-20-2019, 09:35 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: I sometimes think this country is the only one in which everyone wants to be outraged all the time, but seeing what has happened to Trudeau and his blacking up news story shows this is not the case.
I think the impossible standards of today's society, the willingness to use historical personal skeletons, no matter how mild, as a reason to label someone makes me wonder if liberalism is really fuelling the far right?
For instance, I truly see myself as liberal and tolerant, but I think everyone is mildly racist. In fact it's been proven, if any of you have read Malcolm Gladwell's studies you'll know this.
We live in an age due to incidents like the one with Trudeau where we are not allowed to say facts like most grooming gangs are Pakistani Muslim, most knife crime is black guys on estates, etc
The level of liberalism, carefully walking on eggshells etc, means the slightest word out of order and some Guardian reader type will fly into an intellectual rage.
I, as most of you know, am strongly Remain, hate the little Englander attitude, and welcome multiculturalism. I despise the ridiculous levels of racism stoked up by Brexit, but I can see how it has come about because until people can start having an honest debate about the real issues rather than getting outraged at some politician for his fancy dress outfit when he was young, the right will continue to grow angrier.

It's a very interesting subject. On the one hand having the facilities to actually have a debate and an open one about almost anything should be liberating. And for many people who share concerns / illnesses / problems etc in supportive on/off line communities - enabling 24hr contact - it's an amazing transformation.

Mock outrage, the level of hypocrisy, bandwagon jumpers and the manipulation of those channels by powers at large mean there's so much noise nobody gets heard so people resort to more outlandish, angry, febrile and childish comment and thus round and round in a never ending cycle.

As for the blackface thing then I think nearly 200 years of history around that and its roots and the portrayal of black people as somewhat less than human was in my psyche 20-30 years ago and Trudeaux should have known better - although I'm sure his white Canadian backwater privileged lifestyle meant he never even considered it an issue. As for whether his life should now be canned because of that error of judgement is ridiculous. I mean there's nobody who hasn't cross a line at some point.

To finish. If I hear another mom spouting out about how she's now an eco-warrior like her daughter Olivetta (who's out climate activating today) because she's turned vegan at the same time as taking little Tarquin to school, 300 metres, in the massive Merc 4x4 she can't drive, wearing the latest leather Jimmy Choos, meeting friend Felicity in the John Lewis cafe whilst buying the latest teak armchair for £1000. FFS.
(09-20-2019, 09:53 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Yep, this willingness to be outraged is 100% fueling the rise of the far-right. Perfectly reasonable people and viewpoints being labeled 'racist' have diluted the meaning of the word so much that actual racists feel emboldened to air their views and try to claim the reasonable people for 'their team'.

I do also think that there's a lot of loud shouting in the Internet that doesn't reflect your average person on the street however. In that BBC article most of the citizens interviewed weren't bothered and rightly said that it wasn't considered racist to dress up as characters 15 years ago. Most of the 'outrage' is manufactured by politicians looking to score points and shit 'media' looking to score clicks (buzzfeed, vice et al)

I'm inclined to believe that there's a silent majority (like me) going about their lives that think the far-right are abhorrent and those on the left obsessed with identity politics are idiots.

FWIW when I was at university 13 years ago we went out dressed as the A-Team and my mate blacked up as Mr T. It never occurred to us that this was in any way racist and we were in Leicester.
I doubt now, in the age of the internet, anyone who will be in power in 20 years has not got something online they're uncomfortable with.
In my mid 20s a group of us went out in fancy dress as the Village People. Doe it mean we were mocking gay people?
Don't know, is my honest answer- it just seemed like a laugh at the time.
If I ever ran for office somewhere I'm sure this picture would be dug up. Incidentally I was the cowboy! Rolleyes
For the record, when I was 10, I went to a Silver Jubilee street party as a Red Indian. I was smeared in gravy browning. I smelt like Sunday.

(09-20-2019, 10:03 AM)billybassett Wrote: To finish. If I hear another mom spouting out about how she's now an eco-warrior like her daughter Olivetta (who's out climate activating today) because she's turned vegan at the same time as taking little Tarquin to school, 300 metres, in the massive Merc 4x4 she can't drive, wearing the latest leather Jimmy Choos, meeting friend Felicity in the John Lewis cafe whilst buying the latest teak armchair for £1000. FFS.

Big Grin
I dressed as a Christmas Tree ‘‘twas a right bastard when I needed the loo.
(09-20-2019, 02:45 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I dressed as a Christmas Tree ‘‘twas a right bastard when I needed the loo.

Islamaphobe you are. Christmas FFS  Big Grin
(09-20-2019, 02:45 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I dressed as a Christmas Tree ‘‘twas a right bastard when I needed the loo.

An image of you waving your tinsel laden baubles about is not one I thought I'd be having today.
Agree its fuelling what some refer to as the far right, at the same time some of what is now considered far right was once fairly common thought such as stereotypical thoughts relating to ethnicity (i remember it being quite common to claim black players wouldnt like the winter)>
Social media fuels the race to virtue signal and take part in the competition of wh can be mosrt offended on behalf of someone els, usually from a safe distance. 
The left have stifiiled an open and honset debate around immigration and differing cultural values for years.
(09-20-2019, 05:03 PM)Sotv Wrote: Agree its fuelling what some refer to as the far right, at the same time some of what is now considered far right was once fairly common thought such as stereotypical thoughts relating to ethnicity (i remember it being quite common to claim black players wouldnt like the winter)>
Social media fuels the race to virtue signal and take part in the competition of wh can be mosrt offended on behalf of someone els, usually from a safe distance. 
The left have stifiiled an open and honset debate around immigration and differing cultural values for years.
I do think there’s some truth in your opinions of the left, as someone very centrist myself. As I’ve said before I work in the media and I’m exasperated by what passes for news today and the way extreme minorities seem to have positions of strength to drive the agenda.
For instance gays. I’m glad they have equal rights, marriage and, from my liberal point of view, I think that they are accepted by the huge majority of society. However, barely a day goes by without a story on the BBC about them. Here’s today’s example.
This story highlights a protest by 6 people! 
It’s hardly a huge anti gay rally asking for them to be burnt and castrated. 
Society will never ever have complete tolerance and stories like this just do not, imho, warrant publicly. The same goes for being transgender- this is a minuscule percentage of people.
Can’t the ones setting the agenda realise the spotlight should be on other issues. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49771466
[url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49771466][/url]As I said, I’m liberal, have friends who are ethnic minority, and I welcome integration. However, proper debate over huge issues in society are being stifled because the likes of two gays kissing gets the platform.