Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest investment in the club's history needed
True, we almost invariably lose out to other clubs when chasing ‘names’ I think our only option is to find hidden gems though, of course, that raises a different debate. Is our scouting and procurement departments up to the task?
(05-21-2017, 09:46 AM)John Osbourne Wrote: True, we almost invariably lose out to other clubs when chasing ‘names’ I think our only option is to find hidden gems though, of course, that raises a different debate. Is our scouting and procurement departments up to the task?

Not sure that's entirely true.

Other clubs were chasing Livermore, Evans and Chadli but we were able to sign them relatively hitch-free, and our scouting team have had fairly good success this year in isolating Nyom and Phillips when other PL asides had written them off. 

I think we need to exploit the overseas market a little more, find some younger players we can develop, but our manager doesn't really like that, and he will always have the final say, though Hammond has been brought in to try and balance TP's views and the club's requirement to look past short term, experienced players.
(05-02-2017, 12:47 PM)SausEggBagel Wrote: As we all know from the weekends result and prior 4 games we are serious need of investment into the squad. Including the prospect of the biggest overhaul of the squad in a fair few seasons.

Off the top of my head we urgently need the following:

Forwards X 2
Attacking Midfielder
Central Defender
Left Back

In the modern market the forwards and midfielder is going to cost £50 million - ish, add another £15 - 20 million for the defenders, and if we add in another competent Winger which is probably another £15 million, overall the club may be facing a transfer bill of near £85 million if we obtain all the afore mentioned. 

Undoubtedly, we will endeavour to be thrifty given our margins and transfer ethics. But it's resoundingly obvious, and hopefully it is to the recruitment and scouting departments, that this will be one of the most busiest, expensive and important transfer windows in the club's future.

That would be amazing but there's no way our net spend will be anywhere near 85m.  That wouldn't leave enough to pay the wages and I've seen nothing to suggest Lai is going to depart from our thrifty approach.  The Taylor faffing is a clue to that and possible Terry/Defoe free transfers.  We may break our record on a striker but that's about it.

(05-02-2017, 02:25 PM)Lightnin Wrote: I think Siggurdsson is rumoured to be going to Everton.

Look abroad would be the easy answer, someone like Mehmet Ekici would be cheaper and add just as much attacking quality to the team. Currently with Trabzonspor in Turkey but spent a lot of his youth career with Bayern.

Spurs.

(05-03-2017, 08:42 PM)swordfish Wrote: Do we really need a massive overhaul? Just spend the entire budget on a striker, or preferably two strikers.

A perastroikers from Moscow Dynamo?   Big Grin
(05-21-2017, 09:58 AM)Sw4Baggie Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 09:46 AM)John Osbourne Wrote: True, we almost invariably lose out to other clubs when chasing ‘names’ I think our only option is to find hidden gems though, of course, that raises a different debate. Is our scouting and procurement departments up to the task?

Not sure that's entirely true.

Other clubs were chasing Livermore, Evans and Chadli but we were able to sign them relatively hitch-free, and our scouting team have had fairly good success this year in isolating Nyom and Phillips when other PL asides had written them off. 

I think we need to exploit the overseas market a little more, find some younger players we can develop, but our manager doesn't really like that, and he will always have the final say, though Hammond has been brought in to try and balance TP's views and the club's requirement to look past short term, experienced players.
yep ok  I stand corrected (mostly). I was thinking of the overseas market with my "hidden gems" comment.  The only problem I have with that is that I can't square the circle with promoting English/British players.
(05-21-2017, 09:16 AM)bangalorebaggie Wrote: I agree and would accept mid table mediocrity over a relegation battle anytime. Its our ability to maintain mid table mediocrity next season that I am questioning with the aging squad we have, and if we choose to spend I hope we can attract the type of players we need. I may be wrong, but it always seems that we really struggle to attract players, when other clubs, at a similar level to us, appear to do better. That my perception form a distance.

Fletcher, Evans, Chadli, Rondon?