Headhunted ex Albion bosses
(10-10-2019, 10:01 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 09:32 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Think we were 2nd when Ronnie Allen left at Christmas 77.
Atkinson was a good manager, of that I’m sure. He actually showed that in 88 when he came back as we were going to get relegated to the 3rd .
However, Giles brilliant work in 75-77 set us up well.
Atkinson got us to nearly men. We didn’t get 2nd when we should have, lost a semi we were favourites for and kept us the same level of squad as he inherited three years later. His 79/80 season was adivision huge disappointment, but he did make up for it.

He actually showed that in 88 when he came back as we were going to get relegated to the 3rd.

Agree. Atkinson in his second coming got a bunch of clodhoppers playing football.
You could see the difference almost immediately..
I've forgotten who he replaced... Gould?
But, come on, to get the Albion challenging at the top, to develop Giles' excellent team, we'd give our right arms for a team that good now.
We can probably name most of them without trying, even now.... My Robson and Regis of long ago...

I don't believe Albion have ever had a great manager. BFR is the closest since Buckingham.

BFR replaces the dreadful Saunders in Sept 87

The football improved but the results weren’t great over that 13 months
(10-10-2019, 08:25 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 08:31 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Wow, this is still going...

I feel bad for even making a joke!

Whilst you're here, could you outline your view on Aston Villa's historic links to unsavoury right-wing political groups?!

None of that on 'ere.

Warning issued.