Extinction Idiots
Regardless of tactics which we’re undoubtedly stupid, just doing feck all to address the problems we as humans are creating will not end well with for us as a species.
WW3 will sort it....
(10-17-2019, 12:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Regardless of tactics which we’re undoubtedly stupid, just doing feck all to address the problems we as humans are creating will not end well with for us as a species.

We’re not doing fuck all though. But on the other hand, if we believe the doomsday cult that is ER, it’s miles too late anyway. I don’t believe their extreme stance though, and neither do many people thankfully.
(10-17-2019, 11:33 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 10:57 AM)bradesbaggie Wrote: Fully in agreement with ER.

They made a mistake yesterday evening. Nobody is bothered by being made late for work. But after a days work and trying to get home (and tube journeys are horrible) is a faux pas.

It was this morning.

Are people really aware of what net nil carbon by 2025 requires? It would make a no deal brexit seem like a walk in the park. Destruction of industry everywhere, developing countries would be totally fucked, even the uk would require us all not to drive, barely any technology etc. I really think when push comes to shove very few people are really up for this, they just pay lip service to it. ER are taking the most extreme position on climate change, and claiming science backs them. Science backs man made climate change for sure, but not to the degree they claim. I’d encourage anyone to do their own research into roger Hallam and Gail bradbrook the founders of ER, and make their own mind up.

Here’s an interview with Hallam on bbc hard talk to start. And compared to Gail bradbrook, he’s the normal one!

https://youtu.be/9HyaxctatdA

I remember watching that late one night and thought 'dangerous cult.' he looks and sounds like a cliche of all the cult leaders, zealots and activists of the last 60 years.
(10-17-2019, 11:56 AM)Ossian Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 11:33 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote: Are people really aware of what net nil carbon by 2025 requires? It would make a no deal brexit seem like a walk in the park. Destruction of industry everywhere, developing countries would be totally fucked, even the uk would require us all not to drive, barely any technology etc. I really think when push comes to shove very few people are really up for this, they just pay lip service to it. ER are taking the most extreme position on climate change, and claiming science backs them. Science backs man made climate change for sure, but not to the degree they claim. I’d encourage anyone to do their own research into roger Hallam and Gail bradbrook the founders of ER, and make their own mind up.

Here’s an interview with Hallam on bbc hard talk to start. And compared to Gail bradbrook, he’s the normal one!

I'd pretty much agree with all of that. I didn't see the interview you'd linked to, but I've seen others with Roger Hallam and he's beyond reasoning with.

The big issue for me is worldwide population: as it grows so does everything else - consumption, pollution, depletion of resources. Any environmental impact we might make by individual or even collective actions isn't going to redress that balance. No reason not to do it, but it won't be the thing that saves the planet.

I'll carry on re-using and recycling, keep my phone, TV and computer until they'm bost, and my old Golf's done 165,000 miles. Not sure how much difference I'm making though.

Oss - I think I may have mentioned on here before I think the world will need a big re-think with regards to voluntary euthanasia to burn that candle at one end. It won't be the sole answer by a long stretch and the ethical implications are huge but given that an ever-growing older population requires ever more new shoots to look after it as well it may come into play at some point.

That's my little hand grenade for the day...
(10-17-2019, 01:17 PM)Fido Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 11:56 AM)Ossian Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 11:33 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote: Are people really aware of what net nil carbon by 2025 requires? It would make a no deal brexit seem like a walk in the park. Destruction of industry everywhere, developing countries would be totally fucked, even the uk would require us all not to drive, barely any technology etc. I really think when push comes to shove very few people are really up for this, they just pay lip service to it. ER are taking the most extreme position on climate change, and claiming science backs them. Science backs man made climate change for sure, but not to the degree they claim. I’d encourage anyone to do their own research into roger Hallam and Gail bradbrook the founders of ER, and make their own mind up.

I'd pretty much agree with all of that. I didn't see the interview you'd linked to, but I've seen others with Roger Hallam and he's beyond reasoning with.

The big issue for me is worldwide population: as it grows so does everything else - consumption, pollution, depletion of resources. Any environmental impact we might make by individual or even collective actions isn't going to redress that balance. No reason not to do it, but it won't be the thing that saves the planet.

I'll carry on re-using and recycling, keep my phone, TV and computer until they'm bost, and my old Golf's done 165,000 miles. Not sure how much difference I'm making though.

Oss - I think I may have mentioned on here before I think the world will need a big re-think with regards to voluntary euthanasia to burn that candle at one end. It won't be the sole answer by a long stretch and the ethical implications are huge but given that an ever-growing older population requires ever more new shoots to look after it as well it may come into play at some point.

That's my little hand grenade for the day...

(10-17-2019, 12:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Regardless of tactics which we’re undoubtedly stupid, just doing feck all to address the problems we as humans are creating will not end well with for us as a species.
True. Surely public transport is the desirable method, why disrupt it?
 There appears to be little joined up thinking in terms of alternatives. Every new house should have solar panels yet Cameron's government cut subsidies and research/development resulting in many engineers heading abroad to work.   Electric cars? Where do I start? There is still no "green" way of disposing of their batteries. How do people in flats, terraced streets get them charged? How does the government replace the millions it collects in oil revenue?
There is a lot to do. I'm not sure anyone really knows where to begin.
This ER fad will pass.

They're attention seekers above being friends of our Earth.

Also known as 'saft cunts'.
But fair play if they get their £400 a week.

Cheeky capitalist lefties.
(10-17-2019, 06:37 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: But fair play if they get their £400 a week.

Cheeky capitalist lefties.

What £400 a week?