Concerning...
(10-22-2019, 10:17 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 10:00 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 09:56 PM)Lightnin Wrote: Barnsley are an attacking threat, their problem is that they normally miss so many chances and on another night Woodrow would’ve missed with both of his efforts. Their 2nd problem is that they rush at the back especially when under pressure. It’s why I wondered it took us so long to bring Kanu on. FWIW, I’d have left Grady on and took Livermore off. Definitely helped having balance with Townsend on though, a more attacking fullback than Ferguson. Not that Ferguson did much wrong

Didn't Feguson get beaten by their winger for the first goal?

He did. Then one of our defenders completed missed the runner and allowed a free header. Their second looked a good goal from them, to me. Want to see the goal again just to clarify, but it looks like one of those goals where you just have to hold your hands up and say 'fair play, good goal'.

The first was avoidable. The 2nd a very good strike from their player.
(10-22-2019, 09:56 PM)Lightnin Wrote: Barnsley are an attacking threat, their problem is that they normally miss so many chances and on another night Woodrow would’ve missed with both of his efforts. Their 2nd problem is that they rush at the back especially when under pressure. It’s why I wondered it took us so long to bring Kanu on. FWIW, I’d have left Grady on and took Livermore off. Definitely helped having balance with Townsend on though, a more attacking fullback than Ferguson. Not that Ferguson did much wrong

He did, he got sucked in whilst we had the ball and I thought our player was fouled in the build up. There bloke just get a head start on him.
Interesting to read the comments about our over committing.

In the programme (which I can't currently take a photo of and post as I'm not home!) Furlong was interviewed and he said that Slav has told them to be ruthless, but that he is always reminding them that they are defenders first and foremost and that they need to think about things a little more when attacking and at times they are over committing.

So it's definitely something they are aware of. I guess when a team plays gung ho (not last night obviously) football then it's easy for the players to get caught up in an attack, attack, attack mindset.

I really do recommend the programme, it's amazing how many times there are little nuggets in there that you don't seem to get anywhere else.... Wink
(10-22-2019, 10:40 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:

He did. Then one of our defenders completed missed the runner and allowed a free header. Their second looked a good goal from them, to me. Want to see the goal again just to clarify, but it looks like one of those goals where you just have to hold your hands up and say 'fair play, good goal'.

Bartley .......... again! Hegazi has to come back in Saturday.
(10-23-2019, 08:36 AM)Atomic Wrote:

Zzzzzzzzz
(10-23-2019, 08:36 AM)Atomic Wrote:

WALOB
Always easier to sort it out at the back then to get scoring.

Potentially Hegazi stepping in soon could tighten us up at home.

Cut out the mistakes at the back and we’re flying.
I think we play out a lot slower at home almost as if we are waiting for the opposition to make the first move? Or we are not comfortable at home, crowd anxiety? Wait for them to attack and hit them on the break?

However we struggle against physical teams like Barnsely, we have a few players who back out or will stop running at them.
(10-23-2019, 09:19 AM)coxy134 Wrote: I think we play out a lot slower at home almost as if we are waiting for the opposition to make the first move? Or we are not comfortable at home, crowd anxiety? Wait for them to attack and hit them on the break?

However we struggle against physical teams like Barnsely, we have a few players who back out or will stop running at them.

The onus is on us to break the away team down which means we don’t have the luxury of time and space to play open football behind teams well drilled defence. Until our fans appreciate that there are two teams on the pitch they will struggle to understand why we aren’t quite so effective early in games at home. When the opposition tire or have to change tactics because we have unlocked their defence then we will play with more freedom. As Bomber said you have to earn the right to play first.
(10-23-2019, 09:11 AM)MGalea Wrote: Always easier to sort it out at the back then to get scoring.

Hegazi stepping in will tighten us up at home and away. 

Cut out the mistakes at the back and we’re flying.

Amended for you. Play your best players. Football is a simple game.
Clarnet v2.0