Super Kev
(11-03-2019, 07:44 PM)74bus Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:46 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:55 AM)lemon Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:15 AM)B36baggie Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:05 AM)Duffers Wrote: In terms of technical ability Wingie and Lukaku were better. But Phillips was fantastic, the real shame was not getting him a few years earlier.

Agreed it would have been Super to have had him longer but can't agree that he was any less technical than Big Rom. Much better 1st touch & control than most & would have done a job for us in the prem for sure.

My all time favourite since I started supporting in 92/93.

Absolute lunacy and criminality not to give him the extra year or indeed options for another one beyond that.

One of those players where the contribution and end product is so reliable that you just manage them as best you can for longevity and accept the risks that his knee had at that time.  Glass half full.

Peter and Rom - great players, very different players who delivered for us as well,  but when you need to put your house on somebody scoring under pressure you choose kev.

No.1 for shot accuracy, late goals or pressure situation goals, calmness and positioning in the box.

Cyrille was better. OMFG, 40 years ago??  Sad Sad
Probably sacrilege, but I think that KP was a more clinical finisher than Cyrille. I'd also say the same about Ally Brown for that matter.
Neither of those two had the same all round contribution as Cyrille and he scored the type of goals that they could only dream of, but if I needed someone to score for my life in a one on one with the goalie, I'm not sure that I'd go for Cyrille.

Cyrille's scoring record for us wasn't actually that impressive, he only managed more than 14 in one of his seasons with us and this was in a time when plenty of clubs had strikers hitting 20... Dixon, Keegan, Withe, Archibald etc. 

He was clearly a fantastic player, and one who at the time was one of the best, but his numbers show he just wasn't a prolific goalscorer, and maybe there are a few rose coloured specs around with regards to this part of his game... SuperKev on the other hand was an out and out goalscorer who just didn't miss... whilst he may not have had half of the other attributes Regis had, Phillips is easily the best finisher we've ever had.
(11-04-2019, 09:24 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 07:44 PM)74bus Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:46 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:55 AM)lemon Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:15 AM)B36baggie Wrote: Agreed it would have been Super to have had him longer but can't agree that he was any less technical than Big Rom. Much better 1st touch & control than most & would have done a job for us in the prem for sure.

My all time favourite since I started supporting in 92/93.

Absolute lunacy and criminality not to give him the extra year or indeed options for another one beyond that.

One of those players where the contribution and end product is so reliable that you just manage them as best you can for longevity and accept the risks that his knee had at that time.  Glass half full.

Peter and Rom - great players, very different players who delivered for us as well,  but when you need to put your house on somebody scoring under pressure you choose kev.

No.1 for shot accuracy, late goals or pressure situation goals, calmness and positioning in the box.

Cyrille was better. OMFG, 40 years ago??  Sad Sad
Probably sacrilege, but I think that KP was a more clinical finisher than Cyrille. I'd also say the same about Ally Brown for that matter.
Neither of those two had the same all round contribution as Cyrille and he scored the type of goals that they could only dream of, but if I needed someone to score for my life in a one on one with the goalie, I'm not sure that I'd go for Cyrille.

Cyrille's scoring record for us wasn't actually that impressive, he only managed more than 14 in one of his seasons with us and this was in a time when plenty of clubs had strikers hitting 20... Dixon, Keegan, Withe, Archibald etc. 

He was clearly a fantastic player, and one who at the time was one of the best, but his numbers show he just wasn't a prolific goalscorer, and maybe there are a few rose coloured specs around with regards to this part of his game... SuperKev on the other hand was an out and out goalscorer who just didn't miss... whilst he may not have had half of the other attributes Regis had, Phillips is easily the best finisher we've ever had.

I agree. The only thing to take into account though, is that an ageing Phillips was playing in a division below. Regis played in a Top 6 team. That's why I say a younger Phillips was an equal to Regis.