Super Kev
(11-03-2019, 08:15 AM)B36baggie Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:05 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 12:56 AM)Hopalong Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 11:23 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 10:51 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Wearing an Albion poppy badge on Quest

We the fans had a special bond with "Super Kev"

What a player he was.  Name a better striker for us in the last 30 years?

PS..apart from Rosenberg

In terms of technical ability Wingie and Lukaku were better. But Phillips was fantastic, the real shame was not getting him a few years earlier.

Agreed it would have been Super to have had him longer but can't agree that he was any less technical than Big Rom. Much better 1st touch & control than most & would have done a job for us in the prem for sure.

My all time favourite since I started supporting in 92/93.

Absolute lunacy and criminality not to give him the extra year or indeed options for another one beyond that.

One of those players where the contribution and end product is so reliable that you just manage them as best you can for longevity and accept the risks that his knee had at that time.  Glass half full.

Peter and Rom - great players, very different players who delivered for us as well,  but when you need to put your house on somebody scoring under pressure you choose kev.

No.1 for shot accuracy, late goals or pressure situation goals, calmness and positioning in the box.
(11-03-2019, 08:55 AM)lemon Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 12:56 AM)Hopalong Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 11:23 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: We the fans had a special bond with "Super Kev"

What a player he was.  Name a better striker for us in the last 30 years?

PS..apart from Rosenberg

In terms of technical ability Wingie and Lukaku were better. But Phillips was fantastic, the real shame was not getting him a few years earlier.

Agreed it would have been Super to have had him longer but can't agree that he was any less technical than Big Rom. Much better 1st touch & control than most & would have done a job for us in the prem for sure.

Absolute lunacy and criminality not to give him the extra year or indeed options for another one beyond that.

One of those players where the contribution and end product is so reliable that you just manage them as best you can for longevity and accept the risks that his knee had at that time.  Glass half full.

Peter and Rom - great players, very different players who delivered for us as well,  but when you need to put your house on somebody scoring under pressure you choose kev.

No.1 for shot accuracy, late goals or pressure situation goals, calmness and positioning in the box.

Cyrille was better. OMFG, 40 years ago??  Sad Sad
Fantastic finisher. Very tidy as a linkplayer too.  

Relative to the standard of opposition, our best 5 since the days of Thompson/ Regis were:

ODW
Rom
Long
Fortune
Berahino
(11-03-2019, 10:30 AM)Mancbaggies Wrote: Fantastic finisher. Very tidy as a linkplayer too.  

Relative to the standard of opposition, our best 5 since the days of Thompson/ Regis were:

ODW
Rom
Long
Fortune
Berahino

Cider scored a ratio of 1 in 5 games for us. 

Bang Average. I think John Durnin was better.
(11-03-2019, 12:03 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 10:30 AM)Mancbaggies Wrote: Fantastic finisher. Very tidy as a linkplayer too.  

ODW
Rom
Long
Fortune
Berahino

Not for me.  Was excellent before he started fucking about. The twat
(11-03-2019, 12:48 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 12:03 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

ODW
Rom
Long
Fortune
Berahino

Not for me.  Was excellent before he started fucking about. The twat

Limited.

Couldn't head a ball, not overly quick. No physical presence. A half decent finisher, though. He could have become an effective Prem player.

I think the right hander that Jimmy gave him after Cardiff caused massive issues for him  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(11-03-2019, 09:46 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 12:56 AM)Hopalong Wrote: What a player he was.  Name a better striker for us in the last 30 years?

PS..apart from Rosenberg

Probably sacrilege, but I think that KP was a more clinical finisher than Cyrille. I'd also say the same about Ally Brown for that matter.
Neither of those two had the same all round contribution as Cyrille and he scored the type of goals that they could only dream of, but if I needed someone to score for my life in a one on one with the goalie, I'm not sure that I'd go for Cyrille.
(11-03-2019, 07:44 PM)74bus Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:46 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:05 AM)Duffers Wrote: In terms of technical ability Wingie and Lukaku were better. But Phillips was fantastic, the real shame was not getting him a few years earlier.

Probably sacrilege, but I think that KP was a more clinical finisher than Cyrille. I'd also say the same about Ally Brown for that matter.
Neither of those two had the same all round contribution as Cyrille and he scored the type of goals that they could only dream of, but if I needed someone to score for my life in a one on one with the goalie, I'm not sure that I'd go for Cyrille.

Fair comment. Kev could finish. I think the nearest we've had since him at this level is Gayle.
Just caught up on this weekend's Quest (I live overseas) and saw the badge. I commented in a text to a mate who knows Kev well and he happened to be drinking with him when he got the message. It's safe to say Kev knows what we feel about him.
Remarkable that Villa flogged him for 700k at the time. How on earth did anyone conclude that was a good deal. And to think we paid 5 times that for Luke Moore.