Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbyn calls for the requisition of empty houses
Oh gawd, I agree with Proth on something. Argh!!!
(06-19-2017, 04:42 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 01:10 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: Why is compulsory purchase necessary? As I pointed out above, there must be 90,000 empty homes in London (The Independent claims 1400 near to Grenfell Tower).

Call me a dreamer, but I like to think some landlords/owners might be inspired  by the sight of the local community (notably some who themselves have nothing) donating food and clothes to the destitute tenants to allow use of their empty properties as a TEMPORARY measure until the local authorities can arrange something more permanent.

Why should they even consider that when London is awash with that rare form of temporary accommodation called "a hotel"?

Surely putting someone up in a managed enviroment whilst they sort their life out is actuallly far kinder?

I'm not sure I could stand living in a hotel for much longer than 3-4 weeks. These poor people might need temporary accommodation for months for all I know.
It's the kind of thing that is great for a week. Then it just becomes impersonal and things like housekeeping an intrusion, I'd imagine.
(06-19-2017, 04:53 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I'm not sure I could stand living in a hotel for much longer than 3-4 weeks. These poor people might need temporary accommodation for months for all I know.

Quite. But if your house burned down what accommodation would your insurance company provide you with?
(06-21-2017, 04:34 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 04:53 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I'm not sure I could stand living in a hotel for much longer than 3-4 weeks. These poor people might need temporary accommodation for months for all I know.

Quite. But if your house burned down what accommodation would your insurance company provide you with?

I assume the answer to that is a hotel (unless they find you didn't meet the terms and conditions of their cover Wink  ).  

I don't know, it doesn't feel right to compare the situation of Grenfell Tower's occupants with that of an individual with home insurance. This event is probably unique in post-war Britain and I just feel the state should be doing it's utmost to help these people.
Apparently, survivors have been evicted from 20 hotel rooms in Holiday Inn due to prior reservations. Another reason to avoid using hotels.
So where have they gone?
(06-24-2017, 06:45 PM)Mandown_Pilt Wrote: So where have they gone?

Other hotels apparently - for how long, who knows?