Bilic and the joy of the game
It occurred to me while watching today's match that Slaven Bilic has obviously done really fine things in the game.  Played at the highest level for club and country, managed again at the highest level for both and managing his country was clearly an honour he felt very proud about.  But in all that time I wonder whether he's ever had as much fun as he must be having now?  

He pretty much has control over the team, many of the players he knew and some of them he made clear he wanted to the club and he got his wish to some degree in getting them to the Albion.  Now he's obviously exerting a great influence over many of the players such as Diangana, Ferguson and Pereira and taking huge pleasure in making them realise how important it is to do the dirty stuff and not just the glamour.

And now pretty much week in week out we're watching a team in which everyone contributes and takes huge pleasure in the qualities and success of their teammates, while all the time the fans are enjoying some of the best football we've seen at a club - historically well-known for entertaining - for more than thirty years, if not more.  

Could Bilic ever have enjoyed any management job as much as this one?  While he's always keen to stress the value of hard work and the need to banish complacency or arrogance, even he must be loving just watching what this team is doing.  And that is why I feel it's highly unlikely he will want to leave for a good while yet.  He will want to test himself once again with a team largely of his own making in the top flight (hopefully) but also I'm sure, must be looking forward to seeing just what this team could be capable of.  It can of course improve, but for now the joy is infectious.

Slaven - have you ever enjoyed management as much as this?
Thumbs Up 
Spot on
I remember thinking similar abut Roy after his nightmare with The Dippers. Then the bastards from the FA came and spoiled it.
I put Bilic in the same category as Roy, Sir Bobby, Graham Taylor etc., Respectable Gentlemen.
(12-08-2019, 09:40 PM)HugeHons Wrote: I put Bilic in the same category as Roy, Sir Bobby, Graham Taylor etc., Respectable Gentlemen.

You sure you saw him play?
(12-08-2019, 09:52 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote:
(12-08-2019, 09:40 PM)HugeHons Wrote: I put Bilic in the same category as Roy, Sir Bobby, Graham Taylor etc., Respectable Gentlemen.

You sure you saw him play?

Big Grin