Momentum
The problem with acceptance of things as they are is a nice idea for those not on the receiving end / at the mercy of the decisions politicians make. If you’re an able bodied, ‘normal’ functioning adult who has the freedom to look after themselves and their capable family then yes I’m sure it’s ok to be magnanimous about things. If you aren’t in that fortunate position acceptance is replaced by anxiety, stress and a sense of being at the whim of other peoples decisions.
(12-14-2019, 03:25 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The problem with acceptance of things as they are is a nice idea for those not on the receiving end / at the mercy of the decisions politicians make. If you’re an able bodied, ‘normal’ functioning adult who has the freedom to look after themselves and their capable family then yes I’m sure it’s ok to be magnanimous about things. If you aren’t in that fortunate position acceptance is replaced by anxiety, stress and a sense of being at the whim of other peoples decisions.

Can't argue with that.
Some of the stuff I’m seeing from ‘my side’ of the debate is pretty cringeworthy.

To be honest, I’m actually strangely glad he’s got his majority. It’s down to them to deliver, and there’s nobody else to blame if/when it goes tits up(although I’m sure they’ll try).

As for those who are lambasting Tory voters - they didn’t actually increase in number much from 2017, the issue has come with the collapse of Labour votes. I lent them my vote again, as Worcester is a straight fight between red and blue - but in the main they’ve tried to appeal to brexiteers and remainders and lost both. They need to put this Corbyn/Momentum stuff behind them, and recapture the centre vote.
(12-14-2019, 03:25 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The problem with acceptance of things as they are is a nice idea for those not on the receiving end / at the mercy of the decisions politicians make. If you’re an able bodied, ‘normal’ functioning adult who has the freedom to look after themselves and their capable family then yes I’m sure it’s ok to be magnanimous about things. If you aren’t in that fortunate position acceptance is replaced by anxiety, stress and a sense of being at the whim of other peoples decisions.

Buddhism talks a bit about acceptance. It means seeing things as they are. It doesn't mean that you approve of things as they are. Momentum really need to do the former.

Also, a load of what has been called Momentum activists were kettled last night on their way to Jacob Rees-Mogg's house.

Do you think that is acceptable, going to target a politician at home with his family? Because I think it is sickening. And, yeah, I would say the same if my side did it to a Labour MP. It is reprehensible.
(12-13-2019, 10:47 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 10:31 PM)Neil Parsley Wrote: This is what appals me with *some* of the left and *some* of remain - they think their views should override everyone else's.

That's the same with just about every group. There's always some...

Nothing wrong with protesting, though. It's not the same as saying your views overide somebody else's. You're just registering your dissatisfaction.

I wonder how many will actually go.

Personally, I think they'd be better off going to the pub and figuring out they managed to lose so badly against one of the most flawed PM's ever. Maybe the penny will drop, but I doubt it...

They were not just protesting, though, they got nasty, and they do seem to think that their wishes prevail over an election. 'Not my PM'. Well, yes, he is even if you don't like it.
(12-15-2019, 12:19 AM)Neil Parsley Wrote:  
They were not just protesting, though, they got nasty, and they do seem to think that their wishes prevail over an election. 'Not my PM'. Well, yes, he is even if you don't like it.

Do you think that this is the first time a group of idiots have protested outside a ministers house and 'got nasty'? Or is this the first time you've taken notice or, perhaps, had it brought to your attention?

That's people for you. You could name virtually any good cause (and I'm definitely not saying that's Momentum!) and there will be a splinter group of thugs looking for trouble.

It's always self-defeating. Those on the other side will always use them as a way to generalise their 'enemy' and ridicule their opinion.

I do think you're taking a 'Not my PM' sign a little too literally... Smile

p.s. aren't momentum pro-brexit rather than remain?
(12-14-2019, 11:40 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Time to accept the overwhelming decision, move on and start to pull together as a country.
I was gutted but accept the decision the electorate have made.
Clearly Labour now must sever their ties with Momentum and shift towards the centre. I consider myself left of this position but it makes them unelectable.
Boris MUST deliver to those Labour areas where Tories have won seats or it will bite him on the bum next time. I hope he does deliver as I will get no joy in people suffering just to increase the chances of a Labour government at the next election.

I wouldn't hold my breath on anything Johnson will do. He was a disaster as Foreign Secretary.

His claims as London Mayor, the Olympics and Boris Bikes, were Livingston projects. His London legacy is the Garden Bridge (£43 million spent and not one brick laid), scrapped water cannon, a cable car carrying four passengers a week, his now discontinued Routemasters plan and of course hiring his mistress at a cost of millions.
Well as someone who has voted Labour all his life
The decision on Thursday to for vote anyone other than Corbyn
Was very difficult, I felt like I had betrayed all my values and principles
But hopefully this will be a new dawn for the Labour Party and they
Can get rid of momentum and be a true party of the people.