Cardiff away...
(01-13-2020, 01:26 PM)74bus Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:26 AM)4-hero Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:24 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: I'd expect a lot of changes for the cup match. This throws up the question, which game shall I choose as I won't be doing both! London weekend with a probable weakened team, or an afternoon off to visit South Wales for a more important fixture?

Deffo South Wales, you and 74 bus will be able to take your reclining deckchairs and have a full uninterrupted panoramic view and toilets you can eat your dinner off.

Can someone tell me what is the advantage of standing up throughout the match?

Keeps the Emma Floyds at bay, better for posture
(01-13-2020, 01:55 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 01:46 PM)74bus Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 01:33 PM)The liquidator Wrote: They can stand with their mates and it does generate a better atmosphere
Thanks for the answer. The problem is that standing with your mates in the wrong seats does cause problems. I get the atmosphere bit, but I think it's well outweighed by the fact that lots of people miss a lot of the action. We'll have to agree to differ.

It's dead handy for gesturing at the home fans though 74. Smile
Excellent point, Tom.
My favourites are the dipsticks who 'offer out' a chosen home fan with 'You, me, outside!' gestures, knowing full well
that there's not a chance in hell of carrying out the threat. Ah well, at least there'll be villages somewhere doing without their idiots for a while.
(01-13-2020, 12:08 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 12:07 PM)Fido Wrote: I've been to three games at Lyon and each time had a nice little sit down meal beforehand, a stone's throw from the ground, with a few beers. Very convivial!

Decent tapas?

Not near the ground (the old one) but thought it was quite nice to have a pizza or some of the "bouchon" cuisine to line the stomach before a few fizzy lagers. It was bliss having cold beer in the stand when I watched them in CL qualifying vs Grasshoppers.
(01-13-2020, 10:24 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: I'd expect a lot of changes for the cup match. This throws up the question, which game shall I choose as I won't be doing both! London weekend with a probable weakened team, or an afternoon off to visit South Wales for a more important fixture?

Deffo South Wales, you and 74 bus will be able to take your reclining deckchairs and have a full uninterrupted panoramic view and toilets you can eat your dinner off.
My last take on this (honest!).
The advantage of sitting down is that everybody can see the match that they've paid to watch.
I'll now get me coat.

Standing throughout saves on having to repeatedly sit down and stand up again when those in front who normally sit down get all excited as we near the opposition's goal and stand up blocking our view from behind them. Standing throughout is therefore easier on my knees as there's less bending of the joints and I can lean back on my seat if they ever start to ache. Standing also has the added benefit of burning more calories than remaining seated making it healthier on the heart.

And it pisses some of the stewards off something rotten  Big Grin .
(01-13-2020, 10:20 AM)Dumbo Wrote: We're not in the busy Xmas period anymore.

The lads have had a fair bit of time lately. The 2 teams vs Charlton were completely different meaning they all had a good rest. There then will have been 9 days until we play Stoke on Monday before the West Ham/Cardiff games.

I expect a few changes for the cup match, but not 'the reserves'.

We're not, but February's schedule is just as busy -  7 games!
(01-13-2020, 04:36 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

The lads have had a fair bit of time lately. The 2 teams vs Charlton were completely different meaning they all had a good rest. There then will have been 9 days until we play Stoke on Monday before the West Ham/Cardiff games.

The games in discussion take place in January though.
(01-13-2020, 04:14 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:

The advantage of sitting down is that everybody can see the match that they've paid to watch.
I'll now get me coat.

Standing throughout saves on having to repeatedly sit down and stand up again when those in front who normally sit down get all excited as we near the opposition's goal and stand up blocking our view from behind them. Standing throughout is therefore easier on my knees as there's less bending of the joints and I can lean back on my seat if they ever start to ache. Standing also has the added benefit of burning more calories than remaining seated making it healthier on the heart.

Do they? Not in most of the away matches I've been to. I'd like it to be the case that there was an unofficial agreement that people in the first ten rows or so sat down, but I appreciate that would be difficult to operate in practice.
Some good points made, but, as I said before, IMO, they don't outweigh the fact that you can travel to an away match and still have absolutely no idea who's scored a goal at the end in which you're located.
(01-13-2020, 04:42 PM)74bus Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 04:14 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:

I'll now get me coat.

Do they? Not in most of the away matches I've been to. I'd like it to be the case that there was an unofficial agreement that people in the first ten rows or so sat down, but I appreciate that would be difficult to operate in practice. Some good points made, but, as I said before, IMO, they don't outweigh the fact that you can travel to an away match and still have absolutely no idea who's scored a goal at the end in which you're located.

It's not that long ago people on here, on .com and social media were bemoaning about how we seem to be one of the few away followings who sit down through games. As for an unofficial agreement to sit at the front I'd be wholly in favour, provided I could get a seat at the back. I'm only about 5ft 8 anyway so the thought of me blocking anyone's view's pretty remote given the incline of most modern stands (unlike at the Valley perhaps).
(01-13-2020, 04:41 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 04:36 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

The games in discussion take place in January though.

l know that but it's 3 days before that run of games starts. In fact, including Cardiff, we've 8 games in 32 days.
I think you read a little too much into what I meant by “reserves” my bad

You would imagine, Hegazi, Barry, Brunt etc will be given starts, Harper, Edwards, O’Shea for example

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers