oh ye of little faith
(01-29-2020, 12:51 PM)Statto Wrote: Jonathan Bond is powder puff in the air. That's the reason the best shot stopper of his age group is on the bench in the championship.

He was brilliant at Brighton last season but flapped at Knockaert's crosses more than once and got away with it. In the replay he let the equaliser through him, for which SJ would have been slaughtered. He came for one cross at Charlton - he dropped it. He was no more commanding v Millwall as has been said.

Johnstone's form and confidence levels have not been as good over the last 2 months after an excellent start.

We have a choice. We can either accept that he's absolutely no different in that respect to the rest of the team, or microscopically analyse every goal and see how we can pin it on him to satisfy our desire to have one spacegoat for our woes of the day and that "fucking Villa prick" is the man.

Back to the opening post... we weren't as good three months ago as some thought. Equally, we are not as bad now as some make out. Confidence is a fickle mistress and we are low on that as a team. In any walk of life, lack of confidence inhibits our ability to express ourselves and take risks. Footballers aren't exempt. Obviously, publicly slaughtering every player and the manager will help that no end. The same players that were a joy to watch should now be chased out of town. I've heard it said on different forums about every last one of them, including the manager.

Now is the time for cool heads and keeping our nerve... on the pitch, in the dugout, in the boardroom, and in the stands.

Things turn quickly in football. We are looking over our shoulders at Forest. Yes, the same Nottingham Forest who were dicked 4-0 by Wednesday with thousands walking along the Trent at half time. The same Wednesday trounced 5-1 by Blackburn a couple of weeks later.

This is the Championship. It's a streaky league, always has been and always will. Enjoy the ride. One thing is for certain, as a group of supporters we are right back in our comfort zone. No one does glass half empty like us and we don't cope when it's all going too well. Maybe it's a self fulfilling prophecy?

Semper Te Fallant.
(01-29-2020, 12:51 PM)Statto Wrote: Jonathan Bond is powder puff in the air. That's the reason the best shot stopper of his age group is on the bench in the championship.

He was brilliant at Brighton last season but flapped at Knockaert's crosses more than once and got away with it. In the replay he let the equaliser through him, for which SJ would have been slaughtered. He came for one cross at Charlton - he dropped it. He was no more commanding v Millwall as has been said.

He's played 6 games for us - usually in "weakened" cup ties. Johnstone's played 77 times - 13 or so clean sheets. At least he came for a cross - that'd be a start for Johnstone. But hey why try a keeper who may be better than keep playing one that's shit.

(01-29-2020, 12:51 PM)Statto Wrote: Johnstone's form and confidence levels have not been as good over the last 2 months after an excellent start.

We have a choice. We can either accept that he's absolutely no different in that respect to the rest of the team, or microscopically analyse every goal and see how we can pin it on him to satisfy our desire to have one spacegoat for our woes of the day and that "fucking Villa prick" is the man.

You don't need a microscope it's plain as day. Virtually every goal we've conceded in recent times has been from a ball into the 6yd box. I'm not saying he's the only one who's culpable. All I'm saying is give him a rest.

Didn't rate him in the first few games, never rated him last year - nothing's changed - not a spacegoat for me just a very poor keeper.
(01-29-2020, 12:00 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 10:03 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I think it’s fair enough after blowing a 12pt lead to be a little perturbed at the run we are on, particularly when Bilic’s West Ham had a similar disastrous run that ultimately led to his dismissal.

There are a couple of West Ham supporters who post on the Oatcake on occasions. Their description of Bilic towards the end of his time there was an identikit of Hughes at Stoke once the rot set in. Unable to halt the decline and a defence which became more disorganised with each match. 

I'm pressing the Hughes button here Derek. THE HUGHES BUTTON!!!  Big Grin

I think we saw first hand how flimsy and disorganised a Bilic's teams can be, when we ripped them apart at home under TP's stewardship.  Tongue
(01-29-2020, 01:57 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 12:00 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 10:03 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I think it’s fair enough after blowing a 12pt lead to be a little perturbed at the run we are on, particularly when Bilic’s West Ham had a similar disastrous run that ultimately led to his dismissal.

There are a couple of West Ham supporters who post on the Oatcake on occasions. Their description of Bilic towards the end of his time there was an identikit of Hughes at Stoke once the rot set in. Unable to halt the decline and a defence which became more disorganised with each match. 

I'm pressing the Hughes button here Derek. THE HUGHES BUTTON!!!  Big Grin

I think we saw first hand how flimsy and disorganised a Bilic's teams can be, when we ripped them apart at home under TP's stewardship.  Tongue

Big Grin  < nods in appreciation at the comeback >