Yes we are in a slump
Quite a few players are clearly under performing ( except Townsend, who is just not performing ) but this squad has more than enough to turn this around, so the booing at the final whistle last night, was bloody mystifying Angry
(01-21-2020, 01:42 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote: Quite a few players are clearly under performing ( except Townsend, who is just not performing ) but this squad has more than enough to turn this around, so the booing at the final whistle last night, was bloody mystifying Angry

Townsend doesn't pick himself and you can't fault his effort.  Bilic at fault.

We are making too many unforced errors.  Livermore's stray pass, defence caught napping, horrendous clearance from Hegazi (never clear a ball across an onrushing forward - play the way you're facing) and just a lack of cover from others.

Stoke's game plan perfected executed.  Fast out the blocks, pressure our slow, weak backline, score and then get 11 behind the ball.  We really are so predictably shit at the moment.
I assume Martin Olsson has been brought in as cover for Gibbs. Bilic will be well aware of Townsends limitations.
(01-21-2020, 01:42 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote: Quite a few players are clearly under performing ( except Townsend, who is just not performing ) but this squad has more than enough to turn this around, so the booing at the final whistle last night, was bloody mystifying Angry

I don't think it's that Townsend isn't performing, I just don't think he's good enough.
(01-21-2020, 02:01 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

We are making too many unforced errors.  Livermore's stray pass, defence caught napping, horrendous clearance from Hegazi (never clear a ball across an onrushing forward - play the way you're facing) and just a lack of cover from others.

Stoke's game plan perfected executed.  Fast out the blocks, pressure our slow, weak backline, score and then get 11 behind the ball.  We really are so predictably shit at the moment.

Bartley was as much at fault for the goal as Hegazi. Hegazi read the situation well and came across to block the attacker after he had outpaced Townsend. This meant that Bartley had to cover the gap left by Hegazi but he switches off and is just sauntering back, leaving Campbell with all the time in the world. This isn't the first time we've seen this either, it's occurred a few times.
(01-21-2020, 02:19 PM)Ampadu\s Left Boot Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 02:01 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

Bartley was as much at fault for the goal as Hegazi. Hegazi read the situation well and came across to block the attacker after he had outpaced Townsend. This meant that Bartley had to cover the gap left by Hegazi but he switches off and is just sauntering back, leaving Campbell with all the time in the world. This isn't the first time we've seen this either, it's occurred a few times.
Yep that's my reading of it, OK Hegazi messed up but where was the rest of our defence, Campbell was in acres of space.
We are where we are - it's what Bilic - Dowling & Jenkins does to get us out of the mess we are in.
I'm all for ringing changes throughout the team - we cannot continue on the same path.
O'Shea - Tulloch - Willock - Brunt & Barry need to be given a chance as I cannot see us splashing any cash.
That means in the 1st team not on the bench.