Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just back - thoughts for today!
Standard TP and West Brom to pull a result (and a decent performance in fairness!) out of the bag when the negativity has built to near fever pitch!

After being completely underwhelmed by the team selection and the state of our bench today, I was pleasantly surprised by the game. We looked composed, knew our jobs and fashioned a fair few opportunities which on a different day would have given us a more convincing scoreline.

Thought Bournemouth looked a bit pedestrian, lots of little triangles but lacked any real penetration, and were a different animal without Wilshire. All of Foster's touches were fairly routine and after his purple patch last season Josh King has gone back to being the utter donkey he's been for most of his career. Think they'll regret not taking Spurs' £25m bid more seriously!

Foster - 7 - Kicking still a bit wayward but dealt with everything

Nyom - 8 - Good performance, usual mix of mazy runs and great blocks. 
Hegazi - 8 - Wondered if he'd carry his preseason form into competitive games, but looks a real find. Solid defensively and tidy in possession. Nice to see he's also filling in for GMac in the goal department too!
Dawson - 7 - Decent game at centre-half. Hopefully the stamp wont get punished!
Brunt - 7 - Given no problems despite a few different types of wingers running at him. Wicked deliveries again from set pieces.

Yacob - 7 - Usual self! 

McClean - 10 for effort, 6 for output. So many lung busting runs and brilliant defensive work but time and time again his final ball is dire!
Livermore - 7 - Looked better playing further forward. Some great link up with  Rodriguez early on, but both faded as game went on
Field - 5 - Felt the game bypassed him a little. Capable performance in the middle, but needs more games.
Phillips - 7 - Some tidy runs, but like McClean, disappointing end product today

Rodriguez - 8 - Thought he was brilliant first half, but tired second and should have probably come off sooner. Impressed with his hold up play and strength. Will definitely score goals here.

HRK/Harper didn't have much to do as we saw out the game, and Rondon looked disinterested from the moment he came on. 

Great to post a win on the opening day and banish the run from the end of last season, and even more impressive to do it without our entire spine from last season. Credit to TP and Megson today, at no point did I feel we weren't going to see the game out with a clean sheet!

Roll on next week, when hopefully Evans, Chadli, Morrison and a few new faces can continue the momentum!
6 for McClean is harsh. Dealt with their left hand side effectively.

Right side. Whatever. You get my meaning.
Would agree with the marks in the OP.

The two new lads had excellent debuts and I thought Livermore had his best game for ages.
Bit harsh on McClean but the rest is bang on. Field was fine but isn't ready for the first team yet.
(08-12-2017, 05:26 PM)Sw4Baggie Wrote: Standard TP and West Brom to pull a result (and a decent performance in fairness!) out of the bag when the negativity has built to near fever pitch!

After being completely underwhelmed by the team selection and the state of our bench today, I was pleasantly surprised by the game. We looked composed, knew our jobs and fashioned a fair few opportunities which on a different day would have given us a more convincing scoreline.

Thought Bournemouth looked a bit pedestrian, lots of little triangles but lacked any real penetration, and were a different animal without Wilshire. All of Foster's touches were fairly routine and after his purple patch last season Josh King has gone back to being the utter donkey he's been for most of his career. Think they'll regret not taking Spurs' £25m bid more seriously!

Foster - 7 - Kicking still a bit wayward but dealt with everything

Nyom - 8 - Good performance, usual mix of mazy runs and great blocks. 
Hegazi - 8 - Wondered if he'd carry his preseason form into competitive games, but looks a real find. Solid defensively and tidy in possession. Nice to see he's also filling in for GMac in the goal department too!
Dawson - 7 - Decent game at centre-half. Hopefully the stamp wont get punished!
Brunt - 7 - Given no problems despite a few different types of wingers running at him. Wicked deliveries again from set pieces.

Yacob - 7 - Usual self! 

McClean - 10 for effort, 6 for output. So many lung busting runs and brilliant defensive work but time and time again his final ball is dire!
Livermore - 7 - Looked better playing further forward. Some great link up with  Rodriguez early on, but both faded as game went on
Field - 5 - Felt the game bypassed him a little. Capable performance in the middle, but needs more games.
Phillips - 7 - Some tidy runs, but like McClean, disappointing end product today

Rodriguez - 8 - Thought he was brilliant first half, but tired second and should have probably come off sooner. Impressed with his hold up play and strength. Will definitely score goals here.

HRK/Harper didn't have much to do as we saw out the game, and Rondon looked disinterested from the moment he came on. 

Great to post a win on the opening day and banish the run from the end of last season, and even more impressive to do it without our entire spine from last season. Credit to TP and Megson today, at no point did I feel we weren't going to see the game out with a clean sheet!

Roll on next week, when hopefully Evans, Chadli, Morrison and a few new faces can continue the momentum!
I'd take HRK over Rondon any day, Harper looks interesting nice through ball towards the end
McClean was an 8 all day long.
(08-12-2017, 05:52 PM)Even Flow Wrote: Bit harsh on McClean but the rest is bang on. Field was fine but isn't ready for the first team yet.
Didn't mean it to sound harsh. I thought he had a good game, it's just unfortunate he's so limited as for all the effort and passion he shows he's in a position where he needs to contribute goals and assists or at the very least create chances, and sadly he's only really remembered for his defensive work.
It's Mcleans final ball that costs him but that's the level he is, will never be wanting for effort or application

OP very similar to how I saw it, a classic Pulis performance, the Rondon fall out is a shame and disappointing Chadli not involved is a shame as bridges should be built on that one

Jay Rod started well but tired and should have come off long before he did, Field needs to go out on loan, looks a little too one paced at this level currently but uses the ball well enough
Nyom, both centre halves and Livermore were the pick for me
Livermore far better when allowed by Pulis to play higher up the pitch but still need to bring in that box to box midfielder IMO

Cuzer
Spot on post.

Apart from a 5 minute spell in the second half I never thought Bournemouth would score. Rodriguez, Phillips and McClean pressed Bournemouth's back line never let them settle.

A few observations:

My lad and I thought Brunt looked slimmer.

Hegarzi looks a cultured beast. He and Dawson played very well together.

Nice to see Harper make his debut. He's a big lad for 17.
(08-12-2017, 07:04 PM)Cuzer14 Wrote: It's Mcleans final ball that costs him but that's the level he is, will never be wanting for effort or application

OP very similar to how I saw it, a classic Pulis performance, the Rondon fall out is a shame and disappointing Chadli not involved is a shame as bridges should be built on that one

Jay Rod started well but tired and should have come off long before he did, Field needs to go out on loan, looks a little too one paced at this level currently but uses the ball well enough
Nyom, both centre halves and Livermore were the pick for me
Livermore far better when allowed by Pulis to play higher up the pitch but still need to bring in that box to box midfielder IMO

Cuzer
Agree with all of that especially J Rod tiring big time.