Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"They're overtaking us!!"
Heard this slightly hysterical shriek about a few teams over the summer.

Who has actually overtaken us? Last time I checked we have more points than West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth, Leicester, Stoke, Southampton, Swansea. And finished above most of them last season too.
(08-14-2017, 01:41 PM)Duffmon Wrote: Heard this slightly hysterical shriek about a few teams over the summer.

Who has actually overtaken us? Last time I checked we have more points than West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth, Leicester, Stoke, Southampton, Swansea. And finished above most of them last season too.

Whilst I agree some comments were over the top, referencing the table after one game - wtf?
Seen one wall Wrote:
Duffmon Wrote:Heard this slightly hysterical shriek about a few teams over the summer.

Whilst I agree some comments were over the top, referencing the table after one game - wtf?

I know it was ridiculous to reference the table, that was the point. It's no more knee jerk than getting hysterical whenever another team signs someone.
Is it hysterical wailing?

I see it more as frustrated realisation of how difficult it is for a club of our finite resources to even stand still in this league. At present we are believed to have a budget about 11th/12th in the table, but when clubs like Bournemouth, and Palace are attracting investment that can move them ahead of us financially it'll only get tougher. Furthermore one look at the championship and you'll see quite a few wealthy owners ready to take our place...

We're doing well to continue to dine at the top table, and look comfortable in doing so, but without substantial investment from Palm we are going to have to be more and more innovative with how we operate and I don't have lots of faith in us to do that.
The team that are now far past us is Everton. The rest of us are all in a mud wrestle for 40 points and about 3/4 teams will have a nice season and get to 50ish.

Big fees don't mean anything if the players aren't any good. Villa spent £200m to ultimately finish mid table in the Championship - have they moved ahead of us?
(08-14-2017, 01:51 PM)MGalea Wrote: The team that are now far past us is Everton. The rest of us are all in a mud wrestle for 40 points and about 3/4 teams will have a nice season and get to 50ish.

Big fees don't mean anything if the players aren't any good. Villa spent £200m to ultimately finish mid table in the Championship - have they moved ahead of us?

*applause*
MGalea Wrote:The team that are now far past us is Everton. The rest of us are all in a mud wrestle for 40 points and about 3/4 teams will have a nice season and get to 50ish.

That's much more eloquent than what I was getting at.
Surely your league finish is the defining aspect of 'overtaken us'.

Money spent doesn't always equate to success. Why the constant fretting over other teams spend?
(08-14-2017, 01:55 PM)Ed_Hopper Wrote: Money spent doesn't always equate to success. Why the constant fretting over other teams spend?

Because it's rammed down people's throats by every media outlet on social media and in the press/TV. It's the way football has developed. Some people get suckered into it, some don't.
(08-14-2017, 01:58 PM)P_K Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 01:55 PM)Ed_Hopper Wrote: Money spent doesn't always equate to success. Why the constant fretting over other teams spend?

Because it's rammed down people's throats by every media outlet on social media and in the press/TV. It's the way football has developed. Some people get suckered into it, some don't.

It's like getting your knickers in a twist because you haven't been invited to a party, even though you probably wouldn't want to go anyway!