Alistair Stewart
BATTA 2 KEEP 1S MOUTH SHUT AND LET PPL ASHUME YOUR AN IDIOT THAT OPEN IT AND REMOOVE ALL DOWT
(01-31-2020, 05:54 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 04:12 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 02:56 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 02:46 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 10:48 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I’m furious again! It’s the new okay it seems.

Food banks, childrens hospices struggling to stay open, NHS struggling all of little consequence to an OAP newsreader getting into a stupid squabble on Twitter and being asked to ahem sorry leaving a very well paid job after decades of full employment.

Yea, fuck OAP newsreaders

Arf are you saying the well paid and pensioned newsreader in this case is some kind of victim?

Derek, I absolutely agree with you about the importance of food banks, children's hospices, NHS, and it annoys the hell out of me that these important things are pushed to the side in the media. I totally agree with you about the tories lies and not giving a toss about these things. I think we agree on this point. I would however argue strongly that PC agendas are one of the main reasons that such important issues are pushed to one side. Outlets like the BBC, and left leaning papers, have become way OTT with the "woke agenda", just in sheer volume, and seem to have forgotten these important issues themselves. Alastair Stewart is well off and his life won't be affected too much, I agree, but he can still be a victim of something. I believe there is a culture (that sometimes gets out of hand) looking for offence, and things get blown up out of proportion sometimes. In my opinion, this is exactly the culture which has taken over left leaning media, and we don't hear enough about things like the governments 5% reduction in budgets only 6 weeks after an election where they promised no cuts. I think this has gone a long way to losing core labour voters, and in the end has played into the tories hands.

In addition, I agree people are outraged at stuff like the Alastair Stewart sacking. but lets be fair, this has only come from the outrage of many people on social media looking to be outraged and offended too. it happens on both sides.

The story as I can tell is newsreader engages in argument on Twitter, newsreader thinks he’s an intellectual heavy weight and starts quoting Shakespeare to a Twitter user who can be seen to be black.  Unfortunately or deliberately I imagine the former he uses a rather crass quote in the circumstances. The other twitter user asks only for an apology and doesn’t demand anything with regards to him getting the sack or resigning. 

The lesson here is high profile celebrities engaging people in Twitter should be mindful of the platform they using and the culture that exists on it. For someone trying to show how clever he was, it was a stupid decision. 

My opinion is there a far more important things to worry about than a newsreader tripping himself on social media. I do take your point with regards these types of incidents skewing the news away from more important matters though.

Yes that's my main point really. To be fair to Stewart, he had used this quote in the past. In addition, I understand the other twitter user has some less desirable form for such things too. However, I don't disagree it was daft from Stewart. But I do think we have lost proportion when it comes to these things.

I just think on the wider point, there's become a major culture of "woke" issues dominating the media more than they should. It plays into the tories hands IMO. I've probably now got this thread shifted to the politics board! Smile
(01-31-2020, 05:59 PM)DAVE Wrote: BATTA 2 KEEP 1S MOUTH SHUT AND LET PPL ASHUME YOUR AN IDIOT THAT OPEN IT AND REMOOVE ALL DOWT

Words of wisdom.
(01-31-2020, 02:56 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 02:46 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 10:48 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I’m furious again! It’s the new okay it seems.

Food banks, childrens hospices struggling to stay open, NHS struggling all of little consequence to an OAP newsreader getting into a stupid squabble on Twitter and being asked to ahem sorry leaving a very well paid job after decades of full employment.

Yea, fuck OAP newsreaders

Arf are you saying the well paid and pensioned newsreader in this case is some kind of victim?
Arf, are you suggesting he deserves no sympathy for being hounded out his job on the basis that he is old and has done it well enough to keep it for a number of years?