Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before TP and now...
Just had a look at our team going into the 4th Prem game int he 14/15 season.

West Brom
  • 1 Foster
  • 2 Wisdom (Booked at 89mins)
  • 25 Dawson
  • 3 Olsson
  • 15 Pocognoli (Substituted for Gamboa at 77'minutes)
  • 17 Dorrans
  • 7 Morrison
  • 8 Gardner (Booked at 26mins)
  • 11 Brunt (Substituted for Blanco at 70'minutes)
  • 18 Berahino
  • 9 Ideye (Substituted for Samaras at 70'minutes)
Substitutes
  • 4 Baird
  • 5 Yacob
  • 16 Gamboa
  • 19 Daniels
  • 23 McAuley
  • 28 Blanco
  • 30 Samaras
Looking at that shower of shit compared to many now struggling to fit players the standard of Livermore, McLean, Rondon, Brunt into the starting XI just shows how much we should be lauding TP.
Boooo #PulisOut
I think it's always a little unfair comparing a previous team to now.  There was excitement in signing Ideye and Berahino looked liked he could be something special.  In hindsight both were shit.  In a couple of years time we might have the same thoughts about Krychowiak, Livermore and Rodriguez.
Whilst the team/squad have improved massively in the time that TP has been here and for all the plaudits he and the club deserve, it is also there job to do what they've done. Standing still in this division will see you caught out and you may not come back for quite a long time. You have to strive to improve and be better, not doing so will see your better players leave to more ambitious clubs and from there its a downward curve.

It is quite fair to say that 2 years ago Olsson, Dorrans and Saido we're all decent players still and we'd got our record signing player for us at the time. The team now is a lot stronger, so many more options and so few weaknesses compared. A great improvement but one that was required.
There's no doubt Peace took his eye off the ball after Ashworth went, thankfully we still had a good core of players who got us through it. Then had to rely on Pulis and his organisational skills to get us out the shit after AFI was hooked.
I did think the squad was progressing nicely (in general) when Ashworth was here mind.
There's no doubt though we are back on track regarding the squad. Pulis deserves credit for being part of that. Let's hope the football in general is a bit easier on the eye now.
(09-08-2017, 10:55 AM)tiptontown Wrote: There's no doubt Peace took his eye off the ball after Ashworth went, thankfully we still had a good core of players who got us through it. Then had to rely on Pulis and his organisational skills to get us out the shit after AFI was hooked.
I did think the squad was progressing nicely (in general) when Ashworth was here mind.
There's no doubt though we are back on track regarding the squad. Pulis deserves credit for being part of that. Let's hope the football in general is a bit easier on the eye now.

Peace fell asleep at the wheel in 2013. We had just enough quality and professionalism to stay the course. Unfortunately the AFI transfer window was a disaster which took us backwards until TP came in. Funnily enough earlier today I was wondering about our line ups v Everton and Spurs in Sept 2014 compared with now. 

I think 2 years ago, Olsson had started to creak and Dorrans wasn't quite good enough on a week by week basis in the top flight. And they were replaced. Better players will equal better football. Poorer players means that in order to keep them up they need to be well organised (in fact every successful team is well organised in any case).

PS - Albion do owe the likes of Brunt, Morrison, Dawson, GMac, Olsson and Foster a lot for getting us through the crap and improving year on year. And Mulumbu before that.
15 Pocognoli (Substituted for Gamboa at 77'minutes)

christ.
(09-08-2017, 11:00 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 10:55 AM)tiptontown Wrote: There's no doubt Peace took his eye off the ball after Ashworth went, thankfully we still had a good core of players who got us through it. Then had to rely on Pulis and his organisational skills to get us out the shit after AFI was hooked.

Peace fell asleep at the wheel in 2013. We had just enough quality and professionalism to stay the course. Unfortunately the AFI transfer window was a disaster which took us backwards until TP came in. Funnily enough earlier today I was wondering about our line ups v Everton and Spurs in Sept 2014 compared with now. 

I think 2 years ago, Olsson had started to creak and Dorrans wasn't quite good enough on a week by week basis in the top flight. And they were replaced. Better players will equal better football. Poorer players means that in order to keep them up they need to be well organised (in fact every successful team is well organised in any case).

PS - Albion do owe the likes of Brunt, Morrison, Dawson, GMac, Olsson and Foster a lot for getting us through the crap and improving year on year. And Mulumbu before that.

We do hope better players equals better football, but looking at Stokes Pulis team, that necessarily wasn't the case. So no excuses now from our point of view.
I thought the football was pretty quality between between October and February last season.

Anyone pretending that it was boring boring Albion all of last season has an agenda against Pulis IMO.
(09-08-2017, 11:22 AM)MGalea Wrote: I thought the football was pretty quality between between October and February last season.

Anyone pretending that it was boring boring Albion all of last season has an agenda against Pulis IMO.

Agree. You only have to look back at posts from this era to see that people weren't saying it was boring at the time.