Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yesterday
(09-10-2017, 04:07 PM)swordfish Wrote: Absolutely spot on OP Richbaggie.
So much so that all the normal differing opinions are agreed, in general.
I wouldn't mind setting up negatively at half the clubs in the PL but Brighton.....FFS
Rondon always comes back from internationals like he's been away climbing mountains.
The unbeaten starting line up deserved to be given respect and the newer players (let's face it they haven't really had much time at our training ground yet), gently introduced.
Man for man vs Brighton yesterday I'm not sure we would swap a single player, yet we got thumped!!!!!

So what was good?
Big Greg will be useful.....Barry is better than I ever imagined......Evans is back.......Gibbs looked class.......Burke is very, very fast.......Rodriguez, when up top, is always in the right place......Mozza proved he is still our best link up player and most likely midfielder to trouble the scoreboard.......and even our much maligned support got behind the team hugely when we started to attack at last at 0-3.
I can't wait for the West Ham game now but,  that never works out the waY I want!
Agree with most of that. I actually think Burke came on at a difficult time for him. Brighton were getting lots of men behind the ball because they were in front. Imagine a situation where we're defending a lead, or are under the cosh to one of the big boys away. Have Burke on the halfway line with lots of green grass in front of him and he could be very dangerous indeed.
As for Barry, he's made me question what I do know about football. When I heard we were after him, I thought 'slow old has-been; why don't we set our sights higher?' I'm so glad that he's miles better than I'd imagined.
I fully expect gmac to be back in the side once fit so he'll score a few then.
(09-10-2017, 05:09 PM)igorbalis Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 12:56 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 12:46 PM)Mayo Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 10:53 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I agree with a lot that Rich. However as Stoke are finding out under Hughes whoever is in charge there is no next level for clubs like us. The best we are going to achieve is 8th. Whether we have Pep or Pulis. The football will be different but not much else.

Depends on what you think of Hughes as a manager. I have never been that impressed. Regardless, changing from years of shit Pulis ball can't be easy for any team and could make the new man look bad whoever he was. A fear I have is the longer Pulis is here that once he goes the next manager could struggle big time and take us down because the team can't pass or play football at this level anymore. But whilst TP remains this limited approach and crap will continue even with the good squad we have.

You see I try to be reasonable Mayo but your dislike of Pulis clouds your judgment. We have played good bad and ugly during TPs tenure. If you cannot admit that then there is little point in talking about things further. My point is we are now hitting a glass ceiling that is unlikely to be ever broken. Now as DK says he and other fans might like a rollercoaster ride but the owner won't and I guarantee if it ended in relegation the vaste majority would hate it and the Mexican wave would not reoccur even if we played Brazil 70 type football.
absolute f8ckin bollocks of the top order - I salute you.

???
I was perched among the Gulls. These observations are about their fans' reaction to playing us more that what we did or didn't do.

In the beginning they were somewhat in awe of our team, all the names we have. There was a clear sense of "can we play them; they'be got Barry and Evans etc?" That was a heightened by the tenseness of the first forty minutes.

That first goal gave them a little self belief, but Gullz fans for sure weren't expecting to hold on to a single goal. The second had them more ebullient; with the third we gave them the self belief they needed to start their season. They realised that, Saturd at least, and with new playas to integrate, we were shit. That led to chants of "can we play you every week," and "there's only one Albion."

If we'd beaten them, that would've been another team without confidence and shuffling towards the trapdoor. Now they think their chances of sticking up are better. And they're right.
I might the exception here, but I was very impressed with Brighton. Yes they lacked some quality but they did the basics very, very well.

Of all the promoted teams and even some of those established bottom half teams they seemed very well set out and drilled. Kept a good shape, had 2 strong centre halves and stuck to their game plan well. They over loaded the wide areas with a full back, winger and supporting centre midfielder and switched the ball quickly. We never picked up on this early enough and they exploited it time and time again. It was the sort of tactical nous and discipline which I think will keep them up.
(09-11-2017, 09:07 AM)Lurkerreborn Wrote: I might the exception here, but I was very impressed with Brighton. Yes they lacked some quality but they did the basics very, very well.

Of all the promoted teams and even some of those established bottom half teams they seemed very well set out and drilled. Kept a good shape, had 2 strong centre halves and stuck to their game plan well. They over loaded the wide areas with a full back, winger and supporting centre midfielder and switched the ball quickly. We never picked up on this early enough and they exploited it time and time again. It was the sort of tactical nous and discipline which I think will keep them up.
I agree that they were very well organised. However, they will get far sterner tests than we have them in terms of being put under pressure. We were so deep even in possession. They will need to keep knockaert fit as well. Very reliant on him for the spark that goes with the organisation.
(09-10-2017, 09:36 AM)Cuzer14 Wrote: Inferiority complex are the key words here Rich, I've been banging on about it for 2 seasons now, especially away from home. We've been in the Premier for what 8 years on the bounce now?
Got to change this approach

Cuzer

little west brom, no 2nd tier, blah blah bah.  The clown was even talking Brighton up before the match!

(09-10-2017, 05:51 PM)billybassett Wrote: My view FWIW.

After such a good international break for some of our players many of them were a little flat. Added to the setup which wasn't surprising given what we expect from Pulis it added together into a very disjointed display.

Im no Pulis lover at all but said 10 games should be the benchmark to give him time to meld the new players with the existing lot. If we don't present Stoke with a gift in the last game it would be 10pts in 4 games.

The next 5 games or so will be interesting. The cup game against City and some winnable other games will set the tone for the season. He has some better options now so it's time he earned his corn in getting a format that leverages his defensive mindset with the increase in attacking options we have. At the moment I can't see what the plan is. He says we're not a possession team yet we don't play to our potentially counter attacking strengths by playing Rondon and Rodriguez and 3 sitting midfielders.

Over to you Tony

What that line-up tells me is that he hasn't got a clue what to do now he has all these players.  But it's early days...however we didn't need to give Brighton hope.  

We should have buried them on Saturday with a sensible balanced line-up and pretty much confined them to relegation. 

Some of those selection decisions were inexplicable!   Fucking embarrassment and shambles,