Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standing at away games
My wife and I, plus my sister and brother-in-law are home season ticket holders and get to a fair number of away matches, but we're now thinking we might not bother going away much more.
My sister is about 5ft 4" and during the first half yesterday she could hardly see anything of the game. A woman near us shouted to a couple of blokes in front to let a couple of kids see something of the match, and was told 'This is away - we stand up and get behind the team!" (Eh?).
In the second half, most people towards the front started sitting down, but there were two blokes a couple of rows in front of us who decided they wanted to stand and block everyone else's view. I shouted to one bloke who had a woman directly behind, trying to peer around him, and was met with the expected abuse, but he did sit down.
The other bloke to his right refused to sit down and spent most of the second half glaring at me.
OK, I'm probably regarded as an old codger now, but I don't think it's too much to expect that if you make the journey and pay for your ticket, you should be able to get a decent view of the match. An additional irony of yesterday was that the seats were the most comfortable and spacious you'll see all season. As I say, we'll need to think about whether to make these journeys again, which is a bit of a shame on our part.
It's a big factor why my ST holding folks (my old man 78 soon) rarely go to away games anymore
Those who want to stand should request tickets as far back as possible.

Those who want to sit should request as close to the front as possible.

I prefer to stand but if someone asks me to sit, I'll do so.
(09-10-2017, 12:24 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Those who want to stand should request tickets as far back as possible.

My thoughts exactly which is why I always aim to be on the back row at away games.
Not sure it would be workable, but some sort of system where (e.g) rows A-M - no persistent standing, and N onwards - stand if you want, might be worth a try.
(09-10-2017, 12:29 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 12:24 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Those who want to stand should request tickets as far back as possible.

My thoughts exactly which is why I always aim to be on the back row at away games.
This is a good post. I had the same at a couple of away games last season where my eight year old couldn't see anything - he's a bit less than 5 ft 4! Would be good if Rich ccould raise this at the Assembly maybe?

I've now started requesting seats on the front row albeit the club sell blocks so ticket sales are pretty random and you get what you are given unless you specify front, back etc. Totally agree with Kratos and GON and pre kids when I wanted to stand I would have been more than happy to stand at the back.

(09-10-2017, 12:35 PM)74bus Wrote: Not sure it would be workable, but some sort of system where (e.g) rows A-M - no persistent standing, and N onwards - stand if you want, might be worth a try.
Sounds good but on the basis you are not allowed to stand the club couldn't do that.
(09-10-2017, 12:11 PM)74bus Wrote: My wife and I, plus my sister and brother-in-law are home season ticket holders and get to a fair number of away matches, but we're now thinking we might not bother going away much more.
My sister is about 5ft 4" and during the first half yesterday she could hardly see anything of the game. A woman near us shouted to a couple of blokes in front to let a couple of kids see something of the match, and was told 'This is away - we stand up and get behind the team!" (Eh?).
In the second half, most people towards the front started sitting down, but there were two blokes a couple of rows in front of us who decided they wanted to stand and block everyone else's view. I shouted to one bloke who had a woman directly behind, trying to peer around him, and was met with the expected abuse, but he did sit down.
The other bloke to his right refused to sit down and spent most of the second half glaring at me.
OK, I'm probably regarded as an old codger now, but I don't think it's too much to expect that if you make the journey and pay for your ticket, you should be able to get a decent view of the match. An additional irony of yesterday was that the seats were the most comfortable and spacious you'll see all season. As I say, we'll need to think about whether to make these journeys again, which is a bit of a shame on our part.

There are some selfish twats around, faw shaw.
(09-10-2017, 12:47 PM)clem4england Wrote:

This is a good post. I had the same at a couple of away games last season where my eight year old couldn't see anything - he's a bit less than 5 ft 4! Would be good if Rich ccould raise this at the Assembly maybe?

I've now started requesting seats on the front row albeit the club sell blocks so ticket sales are pretty random and you get what you are given unless you specify front, back etc. Totally agree with Kratos and GON and pre kids when I wanted to stand I would have been more than happy to stand at the back.

(09-10-2017, 12:35 PM)74bus Wrote: Not sure it would be workable, but some sort of system where (e.g) rows A-M - no persistent standing, and N onwards - stand if you want, might be worth a try.
Sounds good but on the basis you are not allowed to stand the club couldn't do that.
I'm sure you're right Clem, but it's the official 'you're not allowed to stand' bit that annoys me, because at most grounds you are allowed to stand. I haven't been to Old Trafford for a few seasons, but I believe they do enforce the 'no persistent standing' rule.
If that's the case, why don't other clubs make a similar effort?
(09-10-2017, 01:01 PM)74bus Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 12:47 PM)clem4england Wrote:

I'm sure you're right Clem, but it's the official 'you're not allowed to stand' bit that annoys me, because at most grounds you are allowed to stand. I haven't been to Old Trafford for a few seasons, but I believe they do enforce the 'no persistent standing' rule.
If that's the case, why don't other clubs make a similar effort?
I think clubs used to and Man U certainly did but Man U away last season was one of the ones where my son could literally see nothing as everyone stood up for 90 mins.
(09-10-2017, 12:57 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 12:11 PM)74bus Wrote: My wife and I, plus my sister and brother-in-law are home season ticket holders and get to a fair number of away matches, but we're now thinking we might not bother going away much more.

There are some selfish twats around, faw shaw.

Spot on.
They were probably booing most of the game anyway.