Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proths latest hero
Id be delighted to see him becoming Tory leader. Sooner the better.

I think a quick scan of his voting record tells you what he thinks of the poor. Thats not an opinion, it's evidential fact.
(09-13-2017, 07:05 PM)Heath Wrote: Id be delighted to see him becoming Tory leader. Sooner the better.

I think a quick scan of his voting record tells you what he thinks of the poor. Thats not an opinion, it's evidential fact.

Me too, Heath (see him become leader that is).

Being a fruit loop isn't necessarily a barrier to becoming elected, but you do generally need a few other strings to your bow; the fruit loop schtick alone won't usually swing it come election time.

I just can't picture it happening somehow. Pity...
(09-13-2017, 07:05 PM)Heath Wrote: I think a quick scan of his voting record tells you what he thinks of the poor. Thats not an opinion, it's evidential fact.

The only evidential fact is your blind hatred of Tories. Let me guess? He's voted with the Tory whip. Wow. In an Parliamentary democracy, who'd have thought? I'm shocked.

At least the governing party can whip its MP's, and seemingly others.

Like Skinner.
(09-13-2017, 08:24 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 07:05 PM)Heath Wrote: Id be delighted to see him becoming Tory leader. Sooner the better.

Me too, Heath (see him become leader that is).

Being a fruit loop isn't necessarily a barrier to becoming elected, but you do generally need a few other strings to your bow; the fruit loop schtick alone won't usually swing it come election time.

I just can't picture it happening somehow. Pity...
Agree. Like with their comedic attempts to mirror Momentum, many of them have decided JRM is some kind of right wing answer to Corbyn, completely oblivious to what actually made Corbyn popular with so many voters. The longer they cant see the woods for the trees, the better. 

Long live Maybot.

(09-13-2017, 09:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 07:05 PM)Heath Wrote: I think a quick scan of his voting record tells you what he thinks of the poor. Thats not an opinion, it's evidential fact.

The only evidential fact is your blind hatred of Tories. Let me guess? He's voted with the Tory whip. Wow. In an Parliamentary democracy, who'd have thought? I'm shocked.

Like Skinner.

I don't hate anything that isn't an actual thing - i don't see the current world in binary from a lecture theatre, as some do.
(09-13-2017, 09:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

Like Skinner.

The problem with Jacob "I take my whip from the Catholic Church, not the Conservative party" Rees-Mogg isn't to do with him following the Tory whip, I assure you.
I'm sure Dennis Skinner voted the way he did out of deference to the Tory whips.

Still it's a nice piece of one line reductio ad absurdum, which seems to be a speciality of the right.
JRM called Osborne a "poor man's Ted Heath" on LBC earlier. He's growing on me.
As a leftie I am very comfortable with Rees Mogg becoming leader. Whilst Trump and Corbyn to an extent, have shown being a political maverick/outsider these days is no barrier to electability. There is a difference with Rees Mogg, he would become leader of the party in power, and that would knock the shine of his outsider status.

Also think his socially conservative views would be a huge barrier in the UK. In the US there are significant swathes of the electorate that do have very socially conservative views on ssues such as abortion and gay rights, and would actively seek to vote for candidates who share their views.

In the UK there are huge sections of the electorate who would actively vote against candidates who hold those views.
(09-14-2017, 12:59 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: In the UK there are huge sections of the electorate who would actively vote against candidates who hold those views.

Stranger things have happened. People voted for Corbyn's party despite his views on Hamas, Israel, Brexit, Venezuela, Cuba & Ireland (or more worryingly, because of them).
(09-14-2017, 03:51 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 12:59 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: In the UK there are huge sections of the electorate who would actively vote against candidates who hold those views.

Stranger things have happened. People voted for Corbyn's party despite his views on Hamas, Israel, Brexit, Venezuela, Cuba & Ireland (or more worryingly, because of them).

I don't think that many of the British electorate are bothered by these issues and would struggle to identify Corbyn's policies with regard to them.

There are many who would be concerned about Rees Mogg's views on abortion and gay marriage, to the extent that it would be a barrier to voting conservative.