Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leko starts v Wolves
Personally a bit concerned by all this "bulking up" talk we keep hearing. Gibbs the latest. I recall a slim, pacy Saido scoring goals.  I recall a bulked up Saido not. Livermore looks too bulky to me.
(09-13-2017, 08:52 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I wasn't particularly in favour of loaning Leko.

From what I have seen of him, he already has the priceless talent of being able to beat a player. Yes his decision making needs to improve and the quality of delivery, but for my money he is more likely to learn what he needs to from premiership coaching, training with premiership players and being used as an impact sub in premiership matches.

Nah, you learn by playing regularly. The Championship is hardly a poor league quality wise to learn in anyway.
(09-13-2017, 08:57 AM)cunninghamismagic Wrote: Personally a bit concerned by all this "bulking up" talk we keep hearing. Gibbs the latest. I recall a slim, pacy Saido scoring goals.  I recall a bulked up Saido not. Livermore looks too bulky to me.

The skinny Arsenal squad probably has the worst injury record in the league.
(09-13-2017, 09:21 AM)superbobby Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 08:57 AM)cunninghamismagic Wrote: Personally a bit concerned by all this "bulking up" talk we keep hearing. Gibbs the latest. I recall a slim, pacy Saido scoring goals.  I recall a bulked up Saido not. Livermore looks too bulky to me.

And has also played Champions League football & for England
Maybe he needs bulk out like Saido & Vic
(09-13-2017, 10:25 AM)cunninghamismagic Wrote:

Where did you get that Sports Science PHD from?
(09-13-2017, 09:13 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 08:52 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I wasn't particularly in favour of loaning Leko.

From what I have seen of him, he already has the priceless talent of being able to beat a player. Yes his decision making needs to improve and the quality of delivery, but for my money he is more likely to learn what he needs to from premiership coaching, training with premiership players and being used as an impact sub in premiership matches.

Nah, you learn by playing regularly. The Championship is hardly a poor league quality wise to learn in anyway.

Agree.

And the comments from City's assistant sounds like he's in the right place. V positive on Harper too from Mogga.

Bristol City assistant head coach Jamie McAllister said Leko ‘brings something different to the team’. 
“He’s a real threat in the final third and he caused their defenders real problems,” said McAllister. “They couldn’t deal with him in certain situations, especially in the box.
“He’s strong, he’s got great feet. Chopping one way and going the other.
“We just felt that he could have got shots off more, and tested their keeper. But it was a great, great debut for him.”
Harper’s athleticism was described as ‘frightening’ by Rovers boss and former Albion manager Tony Mowbray.
“Rekeem played instead of Harry (Chapman), Peter (Whittingham) or Ben (Gladwin) who could have played there,” said Mowbray.
Advertising

“But his natural athleticism that we have seen in training and the distance he can cover is quite frightening.
“It would have been nice for the kid if he could have put his forehead to the cross in the first-half and scored.
“He felt his groin at half-time and had to come off.”

City fans drooling over him on their forum but one or two comments about trying to beat another man when he could have got a cross in. This is exactly what he needs to learn. He's got the skill, power and pace already. Deffo the right decision to send him out - last 12 months with us he's not progressed at all, IMO.
(09-13-2017, 01:18 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

City fans drooling over him on their forum but one or two comments about trying to beat another man when he could have got a cross in. This is exactly what he needs to learn. He's got the skill, power and pace already. Deffo the right decision to send him out - last 12 months with us he's not progressed at all, IMO.

Fully agree. His decision making is pretty poor. Everybody knows he has the talent, he's made defenders for some of the top teams in the league look dreadful. Last season Otamendi, Stones and Kolarov were getting beaten every other minute when he came on. We also know he can whip the ball in and play the ball in behind. Give him a one on one with a full back and I'll 100% back him to beat his man and create a chance. But his defensive nous is poor, he drifts away isolating the full back and is inconsistent with his tracking back. He also has doesn't know when to pass and when to take the defender on which McClean, Phillips and Chadli (and Burke in his short cameo against Brighton) do. The Palace game last season was indicative of his flaws, the Townsend goal was him missing an opportunity to pass, trying to take two defenders on, losing the ball and instead of running to cover Dawson tried to take on Townsend for pace and strength which he isn't going to win and ended up on his arse. Having two or three defenders on him week in week out (which will happen in the Championship, he's more than good enough to make that level full back look stupid in a one on one) will help improve his decision making tenfold instead of short cameos and playing PL2 football which aren't going to help him.
(09-13-2017, 01:35 PM)BoringBaggie Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 01:18 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

Fully agree. His decision making is pretty poor. Everybody knows he has the talent, he's made defenders for some of the top teams in the league look dreadful. Last season Otamendi, Stones and Kolarov were getting beaten every other minute when he came on. We also know he can whip the ball in and play the ball in behind. Give him a one on one with a full back and I'll 100% back him to beat his man and create a chance. But his defensive nous is poor, he drifts away isolating the full back and is inconsistent with his tracking back. He also has doesn't know when to pass and when to take the defender on which McClean, Phillips and Chadli (and Burke in his short cameo against Brighton) do. The Palace game last season was indicative of his flaws, the Townsend goal was him missing an opportunity to pass, trying to take two defenders on, losing the ball and instead of running to cover Dawson tried to take on Townsend for pace and strength which he isn't going to win and ended up on his arse. Having two or three defenders on him week in week out (which will happen in the Championship, he's more than good enough to make that level full back look stupid in a one on one) will help improve his decision making tenfold instead of short cameos and playing PL2 football which aren't going to help him.

Good post BB. From the sounds of it Bristol sound like they know his weaknesses already and will encourage him to work on those aspects because as like you say he has so much ability. A season refining his skills and learning from mistakes in a very challenging league will do him then irks I of good.

Hopefully he'll come back firing and confident to tackle the prem.
(09-13-2017, 12:36 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 10:25 AM)cunninghamismagic Wrote:

Where did you get that Sports Science PHD from?

Must have been in the same class as Bobby!