Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leicester away
Enjoy the day. Never go expecting anything from results.
Anything positive results wise is a bonus. Just like away days.

Some seasons we go to more away games than home matches.
(09-13-2017, 04:08 PM)Big Cyrille Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 03:54 PM)Mancbaggie Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 03:50 PM)Big Cyrille Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 03:46 PM)Mancbaggie Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 12:10 PM)richbaggie Wrote: I love going away. Win, lose or draw, no matter how we play. Far from boring.

Cant beat a decent away day on the sauce.

The tricky bit is usually the 90 minutes in the middle

The match spoils the day I'm talking about the match itself you can count on one hand we have played well away

BC, that is exactly the conversation we have - pissed up on a late rattler - on so many occasions.....

Very rarely we talk about the game anymore it's the sad truth .

Happy to talk about it. Did you go to Brighton?  One of the occasions you referred to above, we didn,t play well but then we probably only played well 10/12 times last season.  

Saturday, the team selection, tactics, understanding were woeful. You can have some understanding with the latter. Barry, Burke, Mozza and Gibbs the positives.  The rest were way below par.  I would definitely start with the latter 3 - Barry one of the first on the team sheet now - plus Chadli if fit. It freshens it up and sends a.clear message.
(09-13-2017, 06:57 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 04:08 PM)Big Cyrille Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 03:54 PM)Mancbaggie Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 03:50 PM)Big Cyrille Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 03:46 PM)Mancbaggie Wrote: Cant beat a decent away day on the sauce.

The tricky bit is usually the 90 minutes in the middle

The match spoils the day I'm talking about the match itself you can count on one hand we have played well away

BC, that is exactly the conversation we have - pissed up on a late rattler - on so many occasions.....

Very rarely we talk about the game anymore it's the sad truth .

Happy to talk about it. Did you go to Brighton?  One of the occasions you referred to above, we didn,t play well but then we probably only played well 10/12 times last season.  

Saturday, the team selection, tactics, understanding were woeful. You can have some understanding with the latter. Barry, Burke, Mozza and Gibbs the positives.  The rest were way below par.  I would definitely start with the latter 3 - Barry one of the first on the team sheet now - plus Chadli if fit. It freshens it up and sends a.clear message.

Fecking hell are you still banging on about last week?
Had a bit of a think about the Leicester allocation last night and came to the conclusion that this is the type of game the club should be laying on transport for. Rather than thinking 'fuck it, no one will want to go,' could they not look at ways of getting people to go? The cost of putting a few coaches on for a trip like Leicester would've been negligible.

Taking these allocations give the impression that the away support almost doesn't matter to the club and the post-match comments from the management/players praising the travelling support look pretty empty. These allocations also become a self-fulfilling prophecy, as people are far likelier to want to travel if they're part of an army of 3000 rather than a band of 1200 having 'is that all you bring away' and 'your support is fucking shit' sang at you all game.

People point to the likes of Leeds and Villa as examples of great away support - which they are - but their supporters will feel much more inclined to travel on the above basis. It's great to go away and almost take over a town for the day, have a sing-song in the pubs beforehand and then make an almighty racket in the ground. Obviously the likes of Leeds and Villa have bigger support-bases to draw from, however the fact is that they've got a far bigger proportion of supporters who are in the habit - because that's what following a football team is - of following their side away. The club need to be encouraging and feeding that habit.
There was a time when the Villa away support was looked upon as piss poor considering the fanbase they have. Ours was always generally better.
We seem to have gone in opposite directions with the away support these days, something that is a bit of a conundrum to put right.
(09-14-2017, 08:32 AM)tiptontown Wrote: There was a time when the Villa away support was looked upon as piss poor considering the fanbase they have. Ours was always generally better.
We seem to have gone in opposite directions with the away support these days, something that is a bit of a conundrum to put right.

I wonder if it's partly a problem of our fanbase getting older and not having done enough to attract the younger generation? I used to go to loads of away games but now only a few due to kids and other commitments.
(09-14-2017, 08:25 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Had a bit of a think about the Leicester allocation last night and came to the conclusion that this is the type of game the club should be laying on transport for. Rather than thinking 'fuck it, no one will want to go,' could they not look at ways of getting people to go? The cost of putting a few coaches on for a trip like Leicester would've been negligible.

Taking these allocations give the impression that the away support almost doesn't matter to the club and the post-match comments from the management/players praising the travelling support look pretty empty. These allocations also become a self-fulfilling prophecy, as people are far likelier to want to travel if they're part of an army of 3000 rather than a band of 1200 having 'is that all you bring away' and 'your support is fucking shit' sang at you all game.

People point to the likes of Leeds and Villa as examples of great away support - which they are - but their supporters will feel much more inclined to travel on the above basis. It's great to go away and almost take over a town for the day, have a sing-song in the pubs beforehand and then make an almighty racket in the ground. Obviously the likes of Leeds and Villa have bigger support-bases to draw from, however the fact is that they've got a far bigger proportion of supporters who are in the habit - because that's what following a football team is - of following their side away. The club need to be encouraging and feeding that habit.

Good post. Perhaps DK can enlighten us on how Stoke's away support has held up with subsidised travel.
(09-14-2017, 09:19 AM)TartanRug Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 08:32 AM)tiptontown Wrote: There was a time when the Villa away support was looked upon as piss poor considering the fanbase they have. Ours was always generally better.

I wonder if it's partly a problem of our fanbase getting older and not having done enough to attract the younger generation? I used to go to loads of away games but now only a few due to kids and other commitments.

+1 our fanbase was one of the the oldest in the country according to a report done a few years ago with the average age of 40 I think. I went to most of the local-ish away games and a few others further afield like Newcastle a few years ago but with three kids that's not going to happen again for a very long time. I think we are seeing the 1990's generation dropping out as they get families and those older than that probably similar. We sat on our hands as a club when it came to attracting younger supporters during the rollercoaster years. 

Also most teams in the Prem are city clubs and frankly the thought of navigating my way around London, Manchester, Liverpool just for a two game of football isn't that appealing. Lets put it this way would I prefer a day at the Emirates or Forest my answer is Forest. Cheaper, easier to get to and more chance of a positive result.
(09-14-2017, 10:25 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 09:19 AM)TartanRug Wrote:

+1 our fanbase was one of the the oldest in the country according to a report done a few years ago with the average age of 40 I think. I went to most of the local-ish away games and a few others further afield like Newcastle a few years ago but with three kids that's not going to happen again for a very long time. I think we are seeing the 1990's generation dropping out as they get families and those older than that probably similar. We sat on our hands as a club when it came to attracting younger supporters during the rollercoaster years. 

Also most teams in the Prem are city clubs and frankly the thought of navigating my way around London, Manchester, Liverpool just for a two game of football isn't that appealing. Lets put it this way would I prefer a day at the Emirates or Forest my answer is Forest. Cheaper, easier to get to and more chance of a positive result.

Some good points there, both.

Couldn't agree on the city thing as I love the London games but I suppose you're looking at it from the perspective of having kids to drag round with you.
(09-14-2017, 08:25 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Had a bit of a think about the Leicester allocation last night and came to the conclusion that this is the type of game the club should be laying on transport for. Rather than thinking 'fuck it, no one will want to go,' could they not look at ways of getting people to go? The cost of putting a few coaches on for a trip like Leicester would've been negligible.

Good post and sums up most of my thoughts on it.
So much more enjoyable when we take big numbers and you pass car and buses of fellow fans on the way - much rather we get the numbers up with free travel or subsidised tickets than be part of an ageing elite amongst small allocations or empty seats.