Ftse100 down 9.34% today
I have this fear that I'll spend my retirement paying huge amounts of tax on my carefully planned pension income, so you buffoons who've cashed in at 55 can live on benefits. FFS sake!
(03-12-2020, 03:25 PM)Ampadu\s Left Boot Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 03:21 PM)4-hero Wrote: Can this Pension Willy-waving contest not be played behind closed doors?

Better that than a pensioner willy-waving contest, no-one wants to see that.

Some pensioners have quite large endowments.
I thought everyone who works has a workplace pension nowadays?.I've got 39 years of national insurance contributions paid in so I'm not going to feel guilty for taking a bit of pension out at 55.however that's gone tits up. 10.87% at close.
(03-12-2020, 05:45 PM)Jezstatham Wrote: I thought everyone who works has a workplace pension nowadays?.I've got 39 years of national insurance contributions paid in so I'm not going to feel guilty for taking a bit of pension out at 55.however that's gone tits up. 10.87% at close.

You think everyone in the 'gig' economy has a pension?
(03-12-2020, 03:21 PM)4-hero Wrote: Can this Pension Willy-waving contest not be played behind closed doors?

You mean showing off about how little our pensions are worth? My £64/58k is worth about £3k a year at 67. Peanuts.
(03-12-2020, 05:52 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 05:45 PM)Jezstatham Wrote: I thought everyone who works has a workplace pension nowadays?.I've got 39 years of national insurance contributions paid in so I'm not going to feel guilty for taking a bit of pension out at 55.however that's gone tits up. 10.87% at close.

You think everyone in the 'gig' economy has a pension?

...and that is one thing that needs sorting out. Trouble is, as long as people want to receive parcel deliveries for next to nowt, or catch an Uber to undercut proper taxi fares, or expect someone getting paid coppers to bring them their dinner, then we're stuck with a whole raft of folks who are living hand to mouth.
I haven't got much money to look after me and two kids and pay the mortgage. That's why I've got to take some pension out.
(03-12-2020, 02:31 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Good time to buy. The panic will pass.

Absolutely this. People that sell now will be locking in their losses. Markets will recover, so my feeling is if you invest now rather than selling you’ll be better of in the long term.

I buy $100 of shares every pay day regardless of market ups & downs, all about dollar cost averaging innit.
In the last two weeks my investments have gone from +10.6% to -14.19%

One thing you can be sure of, there are people/companies out there that are going to make a shitload out of this virus