Any old uns remember this...?
deep in the dark caverns of my ode memory, something stirs that there was a season long ago, when there was a similar situation to now.
Again, there was an outbreak of Smallpox, or summat, (no it wor Black Death) and no games were played for several months! Can any other old uns remember this, and what was the outcome?
I remember the smallpox outbreak in 78 but I don't remember any football being affected.
(03-14-2020, 01:09 PM)ferencpuskas Wrote: deep in the dark caverns of my ode memory, something stirs that there was a season long ago, when there was a similar situation to now.
Again, there was an outbreak of Smallpox, or summat, (no it wor Black Death) and no games were played for several months! Can any other old uns remember this, and what was the outcome?

Without sounding rude sir, who many birthdays have you had?

(03-14-2020, 01:29 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote: I remember the smallpox outbreak in 78 but I don't remember any football being affected.

Think it was in early 60's  Exclamation
(03-14-2020, 01:30 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 01:09 PM)ferencpuskas Wrote: deep in the dark caverns of my ode memory, something stirs that there was a season long ago, when there was a similar situation to now.

(03-14-2020, 01:29 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote: I remember the smallpox outbreak in 78 but I don't remember any football being affected.

I only remember the 78 outbreak because it was in Brum.
This says 1962

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18365385
(03-14-2020, 01:44 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: This says 1962

As I say, I only remember the 78 one as it directly affected me living in Brum, coincidentally, it was the final smallpox death in the UK.
(03-14-2020, 01:48 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 01:44 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: This says 1962

As I say, I only remember the 78 one as it directly affected me living in Brum, coincidentally, it was the final smallpox death in the UK.

You're on about the Janet Parker case when she was exposed at the UoB medical school. I wasn't alive then but I know about it as two of the universities claim to fame are Old Joe and the last recorded case of smallpox in the UK, and occurred after the wild eradication the year before.

The '62 outbreak was a wild outbreak though, significantly worse. That's the one I think Ferenc was on about.

You ain't being rude , Remi, 79 next month,  and believe me, I can still knock a ball around, as long as there aye no tacklin  Big Grin !
(03-14-2020, 02:07 PM)ferencpuskas Wrote:

You ain't being rude , Remi, 79 next month,  and believe me, I can still knock a ball around, as long as there aye no tacklin  Big Grin !

Fair play to you, almost 20 years on me and i'm knackered.
No Remi, I'm 79 next month, but I aye senile, far from it, and the situation, I refer to, I believe revolved around Blackburn Rovers ?