Bye Corbyn!
(03-27-2020, 07:51 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Bit off-brand for the Independent!

I was a massive corbynista who agreed with pretty much all of his policies but even I agree that in the end it was all a bit of a waste of time. I find the concept of "electability" annoying as everything should be about policies but this is the world in which we live unfortunately and the reason Labour lost (IMO). Say what you like about Blair, he and his team would've swatted away the mountain of smears levelled at Corbyn with far greater efficacy and that is a more important political skill than coming up with good policy in this day and age.

Anyone but RLB next please as she'll be the exact same.

He's a backbench agitator, nothing more. It's baffling as to why he was elected leader.
Set the Labour party back years, unable to make a decision without knowing which way the wind blows, and decades out of date.
(03-27-2020, 08:38 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: He has a glorious isolated moment of brilliance the 2017 election campaign,

I'd forgotten about that! What do you think was so different then that he did so well,  compared to the next election when he did so badly?
(03-30-2020, 06:09 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 08:38 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: He has a glorious isolated moment of brilliance the 2017 election campaign,

I'd forgotten about that! What do you think was so different then that he did so well,  compared to the next election when he did so badly?

Where to start.

Complacency, they thought all they had to do was wait for the Conservatives to implode and the next election would be a shoe in.
Never got to grips with Brexit, although that was difficult for Labour, a sizeable majority of their voters were remainers, but there were a number of seats where they were reliant on their leave minded supporters.
Anti-Semitism was a massive problem for both the party and for Corbyn personally, it could never be resolved with him as leader.
The campaign was ok, but the manifesto was confused and unwieldy. A winter election didn't help, the large outdoor campaign events of May 2017 could never be replicated in December 2017.
There was a cohort of younger 2017 Corbynistas who were less enthusiastic about Corbyn in 2019, because of his position on Brexit and the anti Semitism issues. 
The Conservatives learnt the lessons of 2017, that an austerity position was no longer tenable.

But even if none of the above had been applicable, things might not have been that different. There was a sector of the electorate for whom Brexit had become an article of faith, and they were determined to vote for whichever party would make it happen. It became clear that the Conservatives were that party, whilst the remainer vote was hopelessly divided.