Italy
Spain saw its biggest 24hr death increase yesterday.

They are in a bad way too.
If we continue on the current trajectory, our hospitals will reach this point as well and we will see a huge spike in deaths sadly. Some with larger catchment areas are already feeling the strain, and even the QE is starting to fill up.

That's why it's absolutely imperative to stay at home, and social distance when you have to go out for shopping.
(03-29-2020, 11:30 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 10:39 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 07:44 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 07:37 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 07:30 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: We should have shut the fucking borders, or strict 14 days quarantine for anyone coming in.

We kept rabies off our shores for years, yet we let people come in from Corona hit countries, and dont test them?

Very idealistic armed with hindsight. This has spread everywhere pretty quickly and damage limitation is the game now. 
Germany seem to be the ones getting the best handle on it.
We are surrounded by sea  it kept the Germans out !

1939 is a long time ago. Its an invisible virus not squadrons flying over the channel.
We've an interconnected world with thousands of flights each day. That’s why it’s effected everywhere.
And that's why you shut the fucking borders and quarantine everything that moves.

Nobody needs to leave with modern communication technology, and make sure all goods coming in are clean
I get where you are coming from, but the whole thing happened so quickly it's taken the whole world by surprise. We've had such a fast moving interconnected world that suddenly implementing what you say doesn't sound reasonable. Who would you hold up as the country that has got it right?
(03-30-2020, 08:41 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I wouldn't call 800 deaths average a day slowing down mate .

Correct me if I'm wrong KKC but I think he may be talking about the UK.
(03-30-2020, 10:01 AM)Pickle Rick Wrote: I imagine stopping travel earlier would not have meant stopping freight or carefully transferring imports and exports with minimal contact and emergency flights with quarantines etc. But based on what was known (or rather not known) about the virus and initial expert advice they didn't do it. I think if there's a next time soon advice will be different or even if it isn't governments might not wait on it and movement will be curtailed quicker. (International movement I mean).

I think this is the reason why Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan have handled it so well so far. They were scared shitless by SARS years ago and they were more equipped and more importantly more prepared to put measures into place.
(03-30-2020, 10:08 AM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 10:01 AM)Pickle Rick Wrote: I imagine stopping travel earlier would not have meant stopping freight or carefully transferring imports and exports with minimal contact and emergency flights with quarantines etc. But based on what was known (or rather not known) about the virus and initial expert advice they didn't do it. I think if there's a next time soon advice will be different or even if it isn't governments might not wait on it and movement will be curtailed quicker. (International movement I mean).

I think this is the reason why Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan have handled it so well so far. They were scared shitless by SARS years ago and they were more equipped and more importantly more prepared to put measures into place.

Also there populace is more conditioned to abiding by the rules and doing as they told/advised, must be a cultural thing, unlike ours who seem to do as they please when they please, then throw a hissy fit when they can't.
(03-30-2020, 08:41 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I wouldn't call 800 deaths average a day slowing down mate .

The last 3 days in Italy showed 919 deaths, then 889 and 756 yesterday. It's still horrendous, but the signs are that the death rate is slowing down. No consolation for the victims and their friends and family, but cause for cautious optimism.
I do wonder if the reason it's so high in Spain and Italy is down to the proximity of people's houses. In the towns and cities, they have many apartment blocks and in the old parts of their towns and cities, people live in alleyways barely wide enough to get a van down. It would partly explain why London is so much harder hit than the rest of this country.
(03-30-2020, 10:17 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I do wonder if the reason it's so high in Spain and Italy is down to the proximity of people's houses. In the towns and cities, they have many apartment blocks and in the old parts of their towns and cities, people live in alleyways barely wide enough to get a van down. It would partly explain why London is so much harder hit than the rest of this country.

Unfortunately the Black Country is suffering badly, in comparison to other areas.
(03-30-2020, 10:19 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 10:17 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I do wonder if the reason it's so high in Spain and Italy is down to the proximity of people's houses. In the towns and cities, they have many apartment blocks and in the old parts of their towns and cities, people live in alleyways barely wide enough to get a van down. It would partly explain why London is so much harder hit than the rest of this country.

Unfortunately the Black Country is suffering badly, in comparison to other areas.

Is it? Only Wolverhampton is in the top 30 worst hit areas (based on cases per 100,000 of population) and Sheffield is the only area outside of Greater London in the top 20.