Jammy and unjust Albion wins
(03-31-2020, 11:53 AM)MancBaggie Wrote: What about the home win over Vile in 84/85? Valentine winner after they missed a hatful of chances. 

We didn’t beat them again for a good 25 years

The summary of the match in the Albion yearbook says:

Villa had 17 efforts on target; Albion managed just five; yet Carl Valentine's early goal from Hunt's long, looping centre, was enough to bring home three precious points. Albion had a good first half but it was all Villa after the break, and honestly speaking I just don't know, to this day, how Albion survived. But that's football.
(03-31-2020, 06:05 PM)throstle Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 11:53 AM)MancBaggie Wrote: What about the home win over Vile in 84/85? Valentine winner after they missed a hatful of chances. 

We didn’t beat them again for a good 25 years

The summary of the match in the Albion yearbook says:

Villa had 17 efforts on target; Albion managed just five; yet Carl Valentine's early goal from Hunt's long, looping centre, was enough to bring home three precious points. Albion had a good first half but it was all Villa after the break, and honestly speaking I just don't know, to this day, how Albion survived. But that's football.

Spot on
(03-31-2020, 10:55 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: Liverpool away 2013, it was the Alamo for 80 mins, in which we saved a Gerrard pen, then in the 80th min we had our first shot which McAuley scored from the resulting corner, then it was the Alamo and then some for the next 10 mins until Lukaku's sucker punch, not very happy scousers on the way out Big Grin ironically that completed the double over them 5 0 that season, I honestly can't remember the last time we did the double over them before that.

Maybe it was the beer goggles but I genuinely thought at the time we'd get something out of that game. I even fancied we'd save the penalty.

Repeat above re Sunderland when Gregan's bulk filled the entire midfield. Sunderland couldn't find a way around him. Then Lloyd Dyer really should have gone for the corner flag, but had a better plan...
(03-31-2020, 08:29 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 10:55 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: Liverpool away 2013, it was the Alamo for 80 mins, in which we saved a Gerrard pen, then in the 80th min we had our first shot which McAuley scored from the resulting corner, then it was the Alamo and then some for the next 10 mins until Lukaku's sucker punch, not very happy scousers on the way out Big Grin ironically that completed the double over them 5 0 that season, I honestly can't remember the last time we did the double over them before that.

Maybe it was the beer goggles but I genuinely thought at the time we'd get something out of that game. I even fancied we'd save the penalty.

Repeat above re Sunderland when Gregan's bulk filled the entire midfield. Sunderland couldn't find a way around him. Then Lloyd Dyer really should have gone for the corner flag, but had a better plan...

Agree, I was in the Kop that night and was convinced we’d win. It had all the makings of a smash and ran.
Surprised this thread has lasted this long - there haven't been any!
I'd say the 3-0 against Swansea at home last season was fairly jammy. They battered us first half, but Johnstone was on top form.
(04-01-2020, 10:34 AM)Squid Wrote: I'd say the 3-0 against Swansea at home last season was fairly jammy. They battered us first half, but Johnstone was on top form.

I can't remember that one  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(04-01-2020, 10:34 AM)Squid Wrote: I'd say the 3-0 against Swansea at home last season was fairly jammy. They battered us first half, but Johnstone was on top form.

Not quite on point but at half time in the QPR 7-1 it was pretty even stevens.
(03-31-2020, 04:50 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 03:29 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Dingles away sometime in the 90s (fondly remembered as my drinking years hence not knowing which year) - Andy Hunt played the whole game without another Albion player within 50 feet of him. Long punt up field from one of their corners I think, he ran half the length of the pitch and put it away IIRC.

I was at the Hunt 1-0 in 98 but the goal was nowt like that - he bundled one home after an immediate spell of pressure from kick off in the second half. Sneekes had gone off injured early to be replaced by Stacey Coldicott. I wouldn't say we were particularly lucky to win. I think it was the week after we lost 4-0 to Vile.

https://youtu.be/mAzgS8D3Epg

Here it is in fact. Blimey, you really were pissed!

I was at that game. We’d been getting dogs abuse in the John Bull lower. We went fucking spare. My brother broke a seat and ended up three rows further down on his back in the ensuing melee. He didn’t much care.
The 1-0 home win over Liverpool on 27/12/71 was a real nail biter. Bomber scored the winner on 5 minutes and for the rest of the game bottom of the table Albion, who had lost the previous seven games, were under the cosh as Liverpool applied relentless pressure. It was the longest 85+ minutes imaginable and the roar that greeted the final whistle was deafening.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Images/newspa...20brom.JPG

https://www.lfchistory.net/Images/newspa...20brom.JPG