Sunderland 'Til I Die
I loved the first series of this on Netflix and the second one dropped yesterday. It's fantastic - not just for football fans, but for anyone in business, marketing etc. I've watched the first four episodes so far and it's fascinating to see the inside workings of a football club I feel is not dissimilar to our own albeit they have the benefit of being a one-city club and therefore can attract 46,000 fans to a Boxing Game day in the third tier! That's almost as many Wolves fans who went to Chorley.

If you want to watch it 'cold', don't read the comments below but there are some interesting insights into manager/chairman relationships as well as agents and the transfer window. Josh Maja's transfer to Bordeaux happened because of a failure to put the right contract in place when he signed initially. As a young player who broke through into the first team and became an integral part of the side, the club rightly believed he owed them something but there was no clause in the club's favour that would allow them to keep him. His agent did his job - he secured his client a move to a major club in the top flight of French football, improved his wages considerably and put his career on a promising trajectory. The fact the player kept saying he was leaving it to his agent and just wanted to focus on his football was a bit of a cop out, in my opinion. It's modern football I suppose but I do think Maja owed Sunderland and the fans something and it's a bit galling to see him using them in the way he did.

The race to replace him was really interesting. Steward Donald comes across well in the programme, but I felt he made a mistake when signing Will Grigg, albeit an understandable one. Donald is not used to backing down, which is why he's a multi-millionaire, and I think this is what cost him in the negotiations with Wigan. The telling point is when he rings Jack Ross who tells him the player is not worth more than £1.25 million and to pull out if that bid is rejected. So here we have a man who is hired as an expert in his field clearly telling the man who hired him, who is not an expert but an enthusiast, how to approach the transfer. Donald then unilaterally decides to ignore that advice and goes to £3 million rising to £4 million to buy a player whose stock is possibly only as high as it is because he has a decent song/chant. You can see it from Donald's viewpoint: he is desperate for strikers at the end of the January transfer window and knows what reaction he'll get from the fans if he fails to sign anyone. He also thinks Grigg may be the difference between promotion and another season in League One. Unfortunately, Grigg stunk the place out. This must be galling from Jack Ross's perspective: his owner's decision to reject his advice on transfer deadline day heaps pressure on him and Grigg and ultimately makes his job much more difficult than it would have been. It can also be seen another way: Grigg apparently didn't fit into Ross's style of play so either he shouldn't have been on the radar in the first place or Ross should've changed his approach if he was going to play him every week. 

So the most expensive player ever in League One proves to be a flop (Grigg rejected a move to Salford in the last transfer window and Sunderland wouldn't sell to another League One club). Who's to blame: the manager, the chairman, the player, the player who left after saying he'd stay? As I said, fascinating.

If the programme is nothing else, it's also a reminder that our club gets more right than it gets wrong. It's easy for the keyboard warriors to start pointing fingers and knowing better, but it's a difficult environment and no matter how big you are and how much money you have, the foundations can easily come crashing down.
Didn't Josh suggest us signing Will Grigg just because of his chant?
I’ve skimmed over your post as I’ve not seen season 2 yet but season 1 was excellent so can’t wait to watch the 2nd one

What a car crash of a club they were in season 1, made for great TV and just confirmed what a prize twat Lewis Grabban is

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
Charlie Methven is like some sort of David Brent character, not a clue about football
(04-02-2020, 12:22 PM)Noibla Wrote: Charlie Methven is like some sort of David Brent character, not a clue about football

He's one of those people who think by swearing it makes them sound a bit edgy whereas most people's first thought is "What a cnut."
(04-02-2020, 03:11 PM)Fido Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 12:22 PM)Noibla Wrote: Charlie Methven is like some sort of David Brent character, not a clue about football

He's one of those people who think by swearing it makes them sound a bit edgy whereas most people's first thought is "What a cnut."

Unfeasibly posh Charlie is hilarious, especially when he loses it during the Checkatrade Trophy final.
If it’s anything like the same club’s Premier Passions in the late 90s - I’m in
Managed to see the first series of this on Netlfix in the past week. Always had a soft spot for Sunderland fans, seem a grounded bunch, generally, and I think this series paints them in a good light. More than that, it displays what football is all about for the majority of fans and must be a revelation for glory hunters (assuming they can be arsed to watch it). I also thought a lot of the players came out of it well. Never rated John O'Shea, for example, but there is a touching scene where he says bye to the cooks before the summer break, with no airs and graces. Less said about Jack Rodwell, the better though.

If there's one thing to learn from this (and the equally enjoyable 'Artist In Residence' documentary filmed within our club) it's that if you don't want to get relegated, don't allow documentary makers into your club. Smile

Looking forward to watching series 2 over the next week.
(04-13-2020, 02:22 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: Managed to see the first series of this on Netlfix in the past week. Always had a soft spot for Sunderland fans, seem a grounded bunch, generally, and I think this series paints them in a good light. More than that, it displays what football is all about for the majority of fans and must be a revelation for glory hunters (assuming they can be arsed to watch it). I also thought a lot of the players came out of it well. Never rated John O'Shea, for example, but there is a touching scene where he says bye to the cooks before the summer break, with no airs and graces. Less said about Jack Rodwell, the better though.

If there's one thing to learn from this (and the equally enjoyable 'Artist In Residence' documentary filmed within our club) it's that if you don't want to get relegated, don't allow documentary makers into your club. Smile

Agree with a lot of this - Peter, the bloke who drives the taxi in it comes across as a top bloke who loves his home town and his club, for me he sums up what football is all about, and why Sky, the top 4 and fans who support Man United because they once saw them win stuff on tv, like their shirt colours, their great grand-dad is from Manchester will never understand the passion, pride and obsession supporting a less "successful" team.
(04-13-2020, 02:25 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 02:22 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: Managed to see the first series of this on Netlfix in the past week. Always had a soft spot for Sunderland fans, seem a grounded bunch, generally, and I think this series paints them in a good light. More than that, it displays what football is all about for the majority of fans and must be a revelation for glory hunters (assuming they can be arsed to watch it). I also thought a lot of the players came out of it well. Never rated John O'Shea, for example, but there is a touching scene where he says bye to the cooks before the summer break, with no airs and graces. Less said about Jack Rodwell, the better though.

Agree with a lot of this - Peter, the bloke who drives the taxi in it comes across as a top bloke who loves his home town and his club, for me he sums up what football is all about, and why Sky, the top 4 and fans who support Man United because they once saw them win stuff on tv, like their shirt colours, their great grand-dad is from Manchester will never understand the passion, pride and obsession supporting a less "successful" team.
The Grandad from Manchester, Liverpool etc. Funny how often that comes up. Odd how I've never met anyone locally whose Grandad comes from  Birkenhead, Oldham, Bury, Stockport...…….