Irish,Blacks and Muslims
The words ‘outraged’ and ‘offended’ are the ones that need to be reclaimed. Maybe we could also look into reintroducing people to the word ‘intent’.
(03-08-2019, 03:13 PM)Sunshine Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 01:33 PM)baggy1 Wrote: And here is my worry - people are feeling outraged / discriminated against by a descriptive word that if used in a non-segregational, non-slavery, non-apartheid context could be seen as reclaiming the meaning of that word and consigning the misuse of that word to history. And yet I don't hear the same protest being made against the "n" word when it is used by the very community that is upset about the word coloured.

Its doubtful black people would choose a middle class priveliged white right wing politician as a spokesperson to launch the campaign to reclaim the word.

Its complicated, but i generally think its ok for black people to use the n word as a way of reducing its impact however it has been used as a derogatory term within the black community to describe lower classes.

And I doubt that the middle class privileged white right wing politician in question would be looking to be that spokeswoman, but that wasn't the point. I appreciate the patronising view that I couldn't see that as well, I can honestly say that I won't be working out if I should feel offended by that - I'm not.

And my focus wasn't on the n word, it is on the use of coloured. And using your context shouldn't the BAME community start using the word coloured instead of outlawing it to reduce the impact of it.

And, this bit i need some help with so if I can understand better, the context that has been explained is because the word coloured was used to segregate e.g. 'no coloureds' being used as a sign in shops / cafes etc, but I'm pretty sure there were plenty of signs used in the UK that said 'no blacks' but we are ok to use that descriptive word in BAME - that does confuse me.
(03-08-2019, 04:32 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote: I imagine it is because black is what black people see themselves as rather than coloured which was used to put all non whites into one category and exclude them. I take your point re No Black signs but it's hardly on the same scale.

OK that makes a bit more sense to me - thanks
It is very difficult when some people choose to describe themselves as "women of colour" and some people take offence at being termed coloured. Yes, the latter term is outdated, but it merely shows that the user is not used to being in a multi ethnic environment and not that they are offensive. In this instance, it's all about political point scoring.
Big Fat Ron on 6.21...

https://youtu.be/XTAMsgAdsII
We all have the right to be offended and to offend. End of.
I feel sorry for bastards. They never moan or claim to be offended.
"Women of Colour" = 'non-white caucasian' ethnicities.

(03-20-2019, 11:33 AM)CornishView Wrote: I feel sorry for bastards. They never moan or claim to be offended.

Hello Mr Griffin.

(03-08-2019, 03:13 PM)Sunshine Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 01:33 PM)baggy1 Wrote: And here is my worry - people are feeling outraged / discriminated against by a descriptive word that if used in a non-segregational, non-slavery, non-apartheid context could be seen as reclaiming the meaning of that word and consigning the misuse of that word to history. And yet I don't hear the same protest being made against the "n" word when it is used by the very community that is upset about the word coloured.

Its doubtful black people would choose a middle class priveliged white right wing politician as a spokesperson to launch the campaign to reclaim the word.

Its complicated, but i generally think its ok for black people to use the n word as a way of reducing its impact however it has been used as a derogatory term within the black community to describe lower classes.

Flavor Flav never wanted to be called it.

I can tell you there is a lot of disquiet within the black community about using 'nigger' by black people. I personally would never use it, but there's no point me 'yelling at a cloud'. Maybe it's a generation thing, but I never hear it in 'real-life'. To me, coloured or black, I really couldn't care about. If you called me a 'nigger', I would probably assume you may not have the best of intentions towards me!

From my perspective, if the person doesn't like what you call them, just don't use it. It's not that I'm an easily offended snowflake, it's just that its no hardship to call people whatever they feel most comfortable with. I genuinely don't understand why people get so upset by it. You don't see what's wrong with the word 'coloured'? Fair enough, but if the person or group in question does, why is it so upsetting to use another term?

Some might think people are too easily offended, but equally it seems that alot of people feel it is their right to needlessly offend. I just don't get the point.

Now false outrage. That is annoying...
Agree with all of that FB.