Feb 1972
I’ve got to the point where I’m not sure I even like football. I love the Albion, love the rivalry with other clubs and all the fun that brings, not arsed one bit about the opposition.

The last thing I want to do is watch any player tear us a new one, fall on their arse and have a shite game works much better.
(08-11-2020, 04:14 PM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote: My dad took a few pictures of me aged 5 at the March 71 4-3 vs Man U-sat on the Rainbow paddock wall (Smethwick side)-with, variously, Jeff and the Man U greats just in front of us on the pitch.   They are certainly treasured memories, but only because of the photos I guess.   Otherwise, no, I haven't given 2 shits about who we're playing against in 50 years-certainly can't be arsed with this modern day lets go an admire them while they give us a twatting bollocks.  I guess Valencia/Kempes/Bonhof in 78 might have been an exception because it was so unusual.

Is that the one where Bomber scored a hatrick?
(08-11-2020, 04:14 PM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote: My dad took a few pictures of me aged 5 at the March 71 4-3 vs Man U-sat on the Rainbow paddock wall (Smethwick side)-with, variously, Jeff and the Man U greats just in front of us on the pitch.   They are certainly treasured memories, but only because of the photos I guess.   Otherwise, no, I haven't given 2 shits about who we're playing against in 50 years-certainly can't be arsed with this modern day lets go an admire them while they give us a twatting bollocks.  I guess Valencia/Kempes/Bonhof in 78 might have been an exception because it was so unusual.

I was at that game, would only have been 8 or 9 years old. To see some of the stars of the World Cup (including Kempes who was highest scorer in the World Cup) was a joy to behold as a young lad. Superstars like that just didn't play games in England, other than internationals. And to see us deservedly beat them was a night I'll never forget.

I have no time for the fans who come to take a photo of Steven Gerrard though. Good player? Yes. Should we be in awe of an England International who won very little? No.
(08-11-2020, 04:30 PM)MrFizz Wrote: I agree the only 'big name' opposition player i've walked away thinking "i'm glad i saw him" was Zola. Ran rings around us that day for Chelsea but no swagger or arrogance about him. Just bags of talent and happy doing his stuff. Get the impression he would have played for food parcels and still had a smile on his face.

Remember it well Fizz. 

The Only opposition player I can remember seeing getting a standing ovation from all four sides of the Hawthorns when subbed.

He was untouchable that day.