Area of Concern - Full backs
(09-07-2020, 03:09 PM)Sliced Wrote: Left back is literally the last position we need to improve on

A commanding GK, CB, a true RB, a solid CM, another wide option and a striker who can score goals all potentially needed. At LB we're sorted

Just signed Button and given Bond a new deal. Unless he’s planning on selling and replacing SJ, that’s a no go. 

Be surprised if we add another CB now Kiprè is signed. Potentially if Hegazi leaves.

Another wide option = Robinson

A solid CM and a striker who can score goals...absolutely

I personally think we are set at RB.
(09-07-2020, 03:09 PM)Sliced Wrote: Left back is literally the last position we need to improve on

A commanding GK, CB, a true RB, a solid CM, another wide option and a striker who can score goals all potentially needed. At LB we're sorted

I think you can scratch a GK off your list. Sounds very much like Johnstone is Slavs number 1.
(09-07-2020, 02:26 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 02:19 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: Yes of course. He’s a great team man and gives his all but I just can’t believe he’s up to Prem level. Hope I’m wrong obviously and in fairness one of his best games was at W Ham

Why not? What are you basing this on because it can't possibly be his performances in an Albion shirt. This is just a classic case of a player being written off by so many without actually seeing him play. I don't mean to be arsey but the constant townsend bashing is just so unwarranted and I've got a bee in my bonnet about it.

Hear, hear. It's good to see Townsend get some praise. Rarely can I think of any whopping errors he's made.
Madeley reporting that Gibbs will be first choice left back when season starts, as clubs are being put off by his high wages and hamstring injury record. Belic wants another left back and will have to rely on Townsend and O’Shea as cover.
West Brom will enter the new Premier League season with Kieran Gibbs as their number-one choice left-back.

The Baggies welcome Leicester City to the Hawthorns on Sunday, and Gibbs will likely start that despite his future looking unlikely in pre-season. It was reported that the 31-year-old would be allowed to leave the Baggies, with his wages doubling to £55,000-a-week after promotion. With his injury record packed with constant problems, the Albion couldn’t find another side to take the risk with Gibbs, but they are looking to make it work either way.

The Athletic journalist Steve Madeley has claimed that Gibbs will be the number-one choice, with Conor Townsend and Dara O’Shea as his “understudies”.

It was made clear that Bilic wanted a new left-back to replace him, and will have their fingers crossed that he can complete a 38-game Premier League season.
Many Baggies fans will be disheartened by this news, but Madeley went to point out later that Gibbs has had a superb pre-season this summer.

Last season, the England international only started 14 games in the Championship – compared to the previous two which he easily completed more than 30 outings.

Gibbs suffered from a number of hamstring problems last season, and that is a guaranteed five to six weeks out if it happens again.
(09-07-2020, 02:19 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 02:15 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 02:10 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 01:56 PM)Super_Slav Wrote: I’m pretty convinced that with the way Bilic wants us to play he’s not overly keen on our full back options.

Of O’Shea, Furlong, Gibbs and Townsend?

I think our best bet may well be O’Shea and Gibbs as our full back options. We just need to hope both steer clear of injuries.

There’s been talk of trying to shift Gibbs because of wages and signing a left back. Losing Ferguson must have been a body blow to Bilic.

Thoughts on full back options?

Furlong and (especially) Townsend are well short of the required level IMO. We just need to cover in case of injuries to O’Shea and Gibbs, which hopefully can be done with little outlay eg Peltier or a loan

You watched any of Townsend last season? I bang on about this but I'm genuinely baffled by the people who still think he isn't very good. Maybe he can step up maybe he can't but he was very good in the games he started last season and doesn't deserve to be dismissed as he too often is.

Yes of course. He’s a great team man and gives his all but I just can’t believe he’s up to Prem level. Hope I’m wrong obviously and in fairness one of his best games was at W Ham

cometh the hour cometh the man...
Max Lowe and Bogle have just joined Sheff Utd from Derby for 8m - they could have solved our full back issues for a decade.

Sure Derby would have take Furlong or Townsend in part-ex
(09-07-2020, 03:15 PM)Dumbo Wrote:

Just signed Button and given Bond a new deal. Unless he’s planning on selling and replacing SJ, that’s a no go. 

Be surprised if we add another CB now Kiprè is signed. Potentially if Hegazi leaves.

Another wide option = Robinson

A solid CM and a striker who can score goals...absolutely

I personally think we are set at RB.

Agree with all that. I expect a max of 4 signings (including Krov and Robinson) and a min of 3
(09-07-2020, 03:26 PM)Squid Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 02:26 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 02:19 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: Yes of course. He’s a great team man and gives his all but I just can’t believe he’s up to Prem level. Hope I’m wrong obviously and in fairness one of his best games was at W Ham

Why not? What are you basing this on because it can't possibly be his performances in an Albion shirt. This is just a classic case of a player being written off by so many without actually seeing him play. I don't mean to be arsey but the constant townsend bashing is just so unwarranted and I've got a bee in my bonnet about it.

Hear, hear. It's good to see Townsend get some praise. Rarely can I think of any whopping errors he's made.

I don't think anyone is bashing Townsend. He's been absolutely sound when called upon and I also can't recall that he's made any errors either. Indeed, I jumped to his defence several times last season. It's just that sometimes, with some players, one just gets a feeling that performing at their max and they're not going to get any better. I fear he'll get exposed by the faster, trickier players that he'll come up against in the Prem. I don't think that's an unreasonable concern.

Townsend is clearly going to be here for the season and I'll be delighted if he does step up to the mark when called upon but I dearly hope Gibbs manages to stay fit for the majority of the season.
If Gibbs stays fit along with Diangana that left side is formidable, as they showed last season in the few games they played together. Had a great rapport along with Pereira roaming inside them.