Area of Concern - Full backs
(09-07-2020, 02:15 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 02:10 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 01:56 PM)Super_Slav Wrote: I’m pretty convinced that with the way Bilic wants us to play he’s not overly keen on our full back options.

Of O’Shea, Furlong, Gibbs and Townsend?

I think our best bet may well be O’Shea and Gibbs as our full back options. We just need to hope both steer clear of injuries.

There’s been talk of trying to shift Gibbs because of wages and signing a left back. Losing Ferguson must have been a body blow to Bilic.

Thoughts on full back options?

Furlong and (especially) Townsend are well short of the required level IMO. We just need to cover in case of injuries to O’Shea and Gibbs, which hopefully can be done with little outlay eg Peltier or a loan

You watched any of Townsend last season? I bang on about this but I'm genuinely baffled by the people who still think he isn't very good. Maybe he can step up maybe he can't but he was very good in the games he started last season and doesn't deserve to be dismissed as he too often is.

Yes of course. He’s a great team man and gives his all but I just can’t believe he’s up to Prem level. Hope I’m wrong obviously and in fairness one of his best games was at W Ham
(09-07-2020, 02:19 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 01:56 PM)Super_Slav Wrote: I’m pretty convinced that with the way Bilic wants us to play he’s not overly keen on our full back options.

I think our best bet may well be O’Shea and Gibbs as our full back options. We just need to hope both steer clear of injuries.

There’s been talk of trying to shift Gibbs because of wages and signing a left back. Losing Ferguson must have been a body blow to Bilic.

Furlong and (especially) Townsend are well short of the required level IMO. We just need to cover in case of injuries to O’Shea and Gibbs, which hopefully can be done with little outlay eg Peltier or a loan

You watched any of Townsend last season? I bang on about this but I'm genuinely baffled by the people who still think he isn't very good. Maybe he can step up maybe he can't but he was very good in the games he started last season and doesn't deserve to be dismissed as he too often is.

Yes of course. He’s a great team man and gives his all but I just can’t believe he’s up to Prem level. Hope I’m wrong obviously and in fairness one of his best games was at W Ham

Townsend and Gibbs are fine for a season IMO.

If we’re playing 4-3-3 they’ll also be able to be less defensive and play on the front foot. 

I’m not sure why Furlong gets so much negative press either... he’s barely put a foot wrong, it’s just that Ferguson and O’Shea offered better balance when we played 4231.

We lost a fair amount of our attacking impetus when Furlong and Gibbs we’re out.
(09-07-2020, 02:19 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: Yes of course. He’s a great team man and gives his all but I just can’t believe he’s up to Prem level. Hope I’m wrong obviously and in fairness one of his best games was at W Ham

Why not? What are you basing this on because it can't possibly be his performances in an Albion shirt. This is just a classic case of a player being written off by so many without actually seeing him play. I don't mean to be arsey but the constant townsend bashing is just so unwarranted and I've got a bee in my bonnet about it.
I’m absolutely fine with our full back options.

Gibbs at left back with Townsend more than capable back up. Snap on the other side with O’Shea and Furlong for back up.

I’m happy with our defence overall. CB, fullback and keeper.

Our pressing issues are central midfield and up top.
I don’t have a problem with Townsend just a concern of where he is , not been seen in any of the pre season friendly’s is he injured, if so yes we do need cover. On Saturday Peltier came on for Furlong so he could still be here for a while.
(09-07-2020, 02:44 PM)wba13 Wrote: I don’t have a problem with Townsend just a concern of where he is , not been seen in any of the pre season friendly’s is he injured, if so yes we do need cover. On Saturday Peltier came on for Furlong so he could still be here for a while.

Townsend has a knock. As does Zohore.

I see we have been linked with the Brazilian Bernardo from Brighton today who lost his position to Dan Burn in a Pulisesque kind of transition.  There appears to be too much competition for Henry but we'll see - who'd have thought we'd sign Diangana - still pinching myself with that one.  

If Gibbs stays fit we should be ok and if he does he's worth every penny as he's class.

(09-07-2020, 02:03 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 01:57 PM)Duffers Wrote: Still a month of this nonsense until the window closes.

Am I really that annoying? 

And re Ziz’s post, the club putting Gibbs on the list of players we will listen to offers for does give a tinsy whincy hint as to what Slav would like to do with our LB position so no need for your crystal ball on this one.

No such 'list' exists.
ChamonixBaggie Wrote:
Beachboysbaggie Wrote:
Super_Slav Wrote:I’m pretty convinced that with the way Bilic wants us to play he’s not overly keen on our full back options.

Agree. I didn't have any problem with Townsend last season. I don't know if he'll make the step up but that can be said of many of our squad. Dara was quite a find and he too deserves to have a go at the Prem.

Totally agree. He's a cracking little left back with a very good attitude. Defends well, gives us width going forward and puts in a decent ball. As a back up I think he's more than capable.
Left back is literally the last position we need to improve on

A commanding GK, CB, a true RB, a solid CM, another wide option and a striker who can score goals all potentially needed. At LB we're sorted