Racist Incident in PSG Game
Not on this board it's not
(12-09-2020, 03:36 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 02:24 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:10 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: You telling me there is no other way to describe who you're talking about without having to point to the colour of their skin?

For a start, players have numbers on their shirts, it's not Sunday league the officials would have known the players names. Cultural or not, the players did the right thing in walking off.

It wasn't a player it was a coach who had no number and obviously the official had no idea of his name.

And surely colour of the skin is the easiest part to pick someone out if the rest of the people on the sideline have white skin? It would seem ridiculous not too. 

Demba Ba's argument how people wouldn't refer to a person as the white man is nonsense too. I've heard that many times by Black people and Asians.

Its just people being oversensitive and seeing something that's not there.

It's also hilarious to see people lecture John Barnes on twitter about why it was wrong, after everything he has been through in the game. He's been there and seen it. He thinks there was nothing wrong. Yet a bunch of white people will tell him otherwise. The world's gone nuts. Some people really need to get a fucking grip.

If the person who was addressed felt it was racist, then guess what, it's racist.

No it's not. That's complete BS.

You act like nobody has ever played the race card, ever. I suppose you think Jay Rodriguez was racist to Bong then? Bong thought he was a racist by telling him his breath stinks, so he must be right according to your logic.

I remember an Asian lad at my school years ago calling out the teacher for being racist to him, the teacher only shouted at him for being late to class. He must have been right too.

I suppose you think the woman who complained about men talking about football in the workplace as sexist is right too? If a person felt it was sexist, then guess what, it's sexist.
I do remember a girl complain about the rest of her office having packets of biscuits on their desks. It funnily enough coincided with her stopping eating biscuits with her coffee at work due to going on a diet.
(12-09-2020, 12:06 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:06 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 10:59 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: A lot of people are on edge and hearing racism where it isn't. Also a lot of racism goes unheard. Both are difficult to deal with and put an end to. It's a problem in life not sport. People take their beliefs to the game.

There is still a misunderstanding of what constitutes racism on both sides, and this lack of education and lack of freedom to discuss openly is driving divisions in an already divided society.

Racism seeks to oppress and maintain the belief that a given race is inferior to white people. The mere description of someone being a black person doesn’t constitute racism, but using a term that has historically been associated with oppression does.

And here we see a prime example suggesting that racism only exists from white to other races, when it does not. All races carry out racism. In my experience it tends to be the predominant race in a given place / time / area / country  / etc... that tend to carry it out, regardless of their colour / creed etc... In England, predominantly it would be white against other colours, but in China it wouldn't... In Small Heath for example I was racially abused for being white.

I have coloured South African friends, which is how they describe themselves when not white or black, they received racist abuse from both other sides when they were in South Africa.

It's so easy to say what it is and isn't and then fall foul of getting it wrong.

Unfortunately Mass, it’s not the case. I wasn’t very clear in the above, racism can indeed occur between other races, but it’s very unlikely to be possible for a white person to be the victim of racism due to the lack of oppression.

You were most likely racially discriminated against, not the victim of racism.
(12-09-2020, 04:56 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 10:59 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: A lot of people are on edge and hearing racism where it isn't. Also a lot of racism goes unheard. Both are difficult to deal with and put an end to. It's a problem in life not sport. People take their beliefs to the game.

There is still a misunderstanding of what constitutes racism on both sides, and this lack of education and lack of freedom to discuss openly is driving divisions in an already divided society.

Racism seeks to oppress and maintain the belief that a given race is inferior to white people. The mere description of someone being a black person doesn’t constitute racism, but using a term that has historically been associated with oppression does.

And here we see a prime example suggesting that racism only exists from white to other races, when it does not. All races carry out racism. In my experience it tends to be the predominant race in a given place / time / area / country  / etc... that tend to carry it out, regardless of their colour / creed etc... In England, predominantly it would be white against other colours, but in China it wouldn't... In Small Heath for example I was racially abused for being white.

I have coloured South African friends, which is how they describe themselves when not white or black, they received racist abuse from both other sides when they were in South Africa.

It's so easy to say what it is and isn't and then fall foul of getting it wrong.

Unfortunately Mass, it’s not the case. I wasn’t very clear in the above, racism can indeed occur between other races, but it’s very unlikely to be possible for a white person to be the victim of racism due to the lack of oppression.

What you doing round here, we'll cut you up white boy. No whites allowed round here.

Sorry, I call that racism and not discrimination.
(12-09-2020, 03:36 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 02:24 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:10 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: You telling me there is no other way to describe who you're talking about without having to point to the colour of their skin?

For a start, players have numbers on their shirts, it's not Sunday league the officials would have known the players names. Cultural or not, the players did the right thing in walking off.

It wasn't a player it was a coach who had no number and obviously the official had no idea of his name.

And surely colour of the skin is the easiest part to pick someone out if the rest of the people on the sideline have white skin? It would seem ridiculous not too. 

Demba Ba's argument how people wouldn't refer to a person as the white man is nonsense too. I've heard that many times by Black people and Asians.

Its just people being oversensitive and seeing something that's not there.

It's also hilarious to see people lecture John Barnes on twitter about why it was wrong, after everything he has been through in the game. He's been there and seen it. He thinks there was nothing wrong. Yet a bunch of white people will tell him otherwise. The world's gone nuts. Some people really need to get a fucking grip.

If the person who was addressed felt it was racist, then guess what, it's racist.

Wow Ted Maul. Top prize for the most ridiculous post- staggeringly so.
Maybe the person is a hypersensitive prick in the eyes of common sense. Have you thought of that?
How about the tale of me working in the tax office in the 80s when the West Indian woman who was the laziest person I ever worked with played the race card every time whenever she was confronted about being bone idle.
It all changed when she got a 6ft 4 no nonsense Somen Tchoyi lookalike as our boss and he called her out for her uselessness. She was off sick within a month and when she came back she started actually contributing.
(12-09-2020, 04:57 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

What you doing round here, we'll cut you up white boy. No whites allowed round here.

We’ll agree to disagree.
(12-09-2020, 05:08 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:06 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: There is still a misunderstanding of what constitutes racism on both sides, and this lack of education and lack of freedom to discuss openly is driving divisions in an already divided society.

We’ll agree to disagree.

How? Seriously please explain how I was discriminated against rather than racially abused?

If anything I was favoured (Hudds, is criminated an actual word?) for special treatment, because of my skin colour. Sure, the special treatment I was offered wasn't the sort I wanted.

They were threatening to beat the living shit out of me, pretty sure that were it reversed and it was a gang of whites against a black you'd call it racist.
(12-09-2020, 05:26 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 05:08 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 12:06 PM)MassDebater Wrote: And here we see a prime example suggesting that racism only exists from white to other races, when it does not. All races carry out racism. In my experience it tends to be the predominant race in a given place / time / area / country  / etc... that tend to carry it out, regardless of their colour / creed etc... In England, predominantly it would be white against other colours, but in China it wouldn't... In Small Heath for example I was racially abused for being white.

We’ll agree to disagree.

How? Seriously please explain how I was discriminated against rather than racially abused?

If anything I was favoured (Hudds, is criminated an actual word?) for special treatment, because of my skin colour. Sure, the special treatment I was offered wasn't the sort I wanted.

They were threatening to beat the living shit out of me, pretty sure that were it reversed and it was a gang of whites against a black you'd call it racist.

You are arguing using two valid definitions of racism.

Definition one is the traditional definition:
1)Discrimination on the grounds of race.

Definition two is influenced by critical theory, which looks at power and power relations. According to this definition:
2)Racism = prejudice + power. Therefore racial prejudice from white people towards black people is more harmful than the reverse because white people have more power.

There is some sense in the latter definition when we think of institutional racism. However, in a multi-cultural society, it falls down very quickly and leads to people claiming things like anti-semitism isn't as bad as other forms of racism or overlooking racism among different ethnic groups.

I've read some bollocks on here over the years but this is the creme de la crème of total bollocks!