Team for next season
How shit is that midfield again.

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass

If that's how we start the season we best close the ground to fans for another year.
Don't mind having Sawyers at Championship level. Livermore and Phillips can't be anywhere near the team next season though.
(02-01-2021, 09:30 AM)aj21 Wrote: Trying to lift some of the doom by looking at the squad for next season but it already looks bleak. Bartley, Townsend, Edwards, Gibbs, Hal, Grosiki, Peltier, Ivanovic are all out of contract. I hope we resign Bartley, Townsend and Edwards but you'd have thought it would have happened by now if it was going to.

Periera, Gallagher, Diagne will all be off which leave us with a squad looking like this

Johnstone
Palmer
Griffiths
Button

O'Shea
Furlong
Ajayi
Kipre

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass
Diangana

Robinson
Grant
Zohore
Morton
Tulloch

I'm sure I have a cut-throat razor somewhere, now where was it.....
(02-01-2021, 12:33 PM)woodman Wrote: How shit is that midfield again.

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass

If that's how we start the season we best close the ground to fans for another year.

We will have both Pereira and Grady to add to that. With only two years of parachute payments I see no value in selling Pereira until we absolutely need too. Like in other relegation seasons we ask our players to give us the first season to get us back up. 

Norwich have done that this season and are reaping the rewards for keeping hold of Cantwell and Buendia.
(02-01-2021, 11:53 AM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 11:06 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 09:48 AM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 09:30 AM)aj21 Wrote: Trying to lift some of the doom by looking at the squad for next season but it already looks bleak. Bartley, Townsend, Edwards, Gibbs, Hal, Grosiki, Peltier, Ivanovic are all out of contract. I hope we resign Bartley, Townsend and Edwards but you'd have thought it would have happened by now if it was going to.

Periera, Gallagher, Diagne will all be off which leave us with a squad looking like this

Johnstone
Palmer
Griffiths
Button

O'Shea
Furlong
Ajayi
Kipre

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass
Diangana

Robinson
Grant
Zohore
Morton
Tulloch

We have an option to buy Diagne for £6m and Okay is a loan-to-buy so we’ll have both of them.

Pereira would raise at least £20m if we sell him, and I’m sure Johnstone would also go for £15m-plus.  £35m in the transfer kitty from those two alone, of which £12m would be needed to pay for Diagne/Okay/next Grant installment, so a net £23m left. 

Bartley and Townsend must stay. Edwards probably too. 

Phillips/Sawyers/Livermore/Zohore really need to be sold.  Probably another £10m there in total. 

Harper is a query - seems like his contract is up in June but I can’t believe we released him on loan without him re-signing him. 

Doesn’t look so bad now.  Around £33m to spend on better/younger replacements and greater use of loans possible in the Championship. 

Nothing to be concerned about if we go down.  We’d be a big fish in a small pond again.  Just need the right manager.

Okay is a straight loan - no purchase option

(02-01-2021, 11:09 AM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 10:44 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 09:48 AM)Pragmatist Wrote:

Johnstone
Palmer
Griffiths
Button

O'Shea
Furlong
Ajayi
Kipre

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass
Diangana

Robinson
Grant
Zohore
Morton
Tulloch

We have an option to buy Diagne for £6m and Okay is a loan-to-buy so we’ll have both of them.

Pereira would raise at least £20m if we sell him, and I’m sure Johnstone would also go for £15m-plus.  £35m in the transfer kitty from those two alone, of which £12m would be needed to pay for Diagne/Okay/next Grant installment, so a net £23m left. 

Bartley and Townsend must stay. Edwards probably too. 

Phillips/Sawyers/Livermore/Zohore really need to be sold.  Probably another £10m there in total. 

Harper is a query - seems like his contract is up in June but I can’t believe we released him on loan without him re-signing him. 

Doesn’t look so bad now.  Around £33m to spend on better/younger replacements and greater use of loans possible in the Championship. 

Nothing to be concerned about if we go down.  We’d be a big fish in a small pond again.  Just need the right manager.

Not unless his current contract has a sell on clause with a value relative to how much we paid for him.

Quite, if he is desperate to leave, in the current climate, we may have to accept a lot less than £20M, Johnstone, in the last year of his contract, again £ 7 / 8 M.

Totally disagree on both counts.  Whilst logic suggested that COVID would see transfer values fall, it hasn’t happened and that’s because football values defy logic.  Pereira would be an absolute minimum of £15m - more of there’s an auction - and even with a year left on his contract Johnstone at his age would attract a minimum of £12m, and again far more in an auction. 

Bear in mind also that if COVID reality did start to bite in football, then when spending that money on replacements we’d get far more for our money.  We shouldn’t worry either way.
Do you. We`ll see. Can`t see us getting remotely £20M for Pereira, Johnstone is into the last year of his contract, can hang on then leave for free. The weekend papers said in this window, only 5 players have moved on permanent deals, we had two, Snodgrass and Lonergan.

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass

Snodgrass and Field aside, and add in Krovonovic those were the midfielders who helped us get 51 points in half a season.
(02-01-2021, 01:33 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass

Snodgrass and Field aside, and add in Krovonovic those were the midfielders who helped us get 51 points in half a season.

They also helped us get 32 in half a season.
(02-01-2021, 01:45 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 01:33 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass

They also helped us get 32 in half a season.

Only as good as your last 30 appearances. And for Sawyers Livermore and Phillips that's been shocking. Field is made of crystal and doesn't have the legs, Harper is like Sawyers only without gum