Bartley
(02-20-2021, 05:59 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 05:46 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Needs new contract and dare I say armband?

Shows what good coaching and management can do fir a player like him. Ability was always there, just that concentration which has improved massively.

Shows what having a manager who knows how to set a side up to defend can work wonders for a player like Bartley. 

I don’t want Sam here next season if/when we drop, but I do think much like Clark Benefitted from the organisation Hodgson left behind, whoever comes in will have some benefits from Sam. 

O’Shea looked much better too today... hopefully this is the end of his right back experiment.

Have to say by the way, that this myth isn't really true.

Players have said how Clarke completely changed the defensive coaching and style and had them all playing quite different. 

Without weekly drills, defensive organisation drops very, very quickly.
(02-20-2021, 05:44 PM)MancBaggie Wrote: Tbf, his transformation from that leaden foot shambles of 2 years ago is staggering

Agreed. I cringed when a team was announced and he was in it.
Anyone thought the biggest problem has been in front of that defence for the last couple of seasons?
(02-20-2021, 06:02 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 05:46 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Needs new contract and dare I say armband?

Shows what good coaching and management can do fir a player like him. Ability was always there, just that concentration which has improved massively.

Shows what having a manager who knows how to set a side up to defend can work wonders for a player like Bartley. 

I don’t want Sam here next season if/when we drop, but I do think much like Clark Benefitted from the organisation Hodgson left behind, whoever comes in will have some benefits from Sam. 

O’Shea looked much better too today... hopefully this is the end of his right back experiment.

Players have said how Clarke completely changed the defensive coaching and style and had them all playing quite different. 

I get where you’re coming from Birdy, but let’s face it, those players had had 18 months of very repetitive shape and positioning work, and whether or not Clark changed things they will have benefitted from that coaching... particularly on set pieces.

it definitely got noticeably worse the longer Clark stayed.

(02-20-2021, 06:05 PM)Pipes of Peace Wrote: Anyone thought the biggest problem has been in front of that defence for the last couple of seasons?

Pretty much everyone but Moore and Slav.
Hes better because he is being asked to do what his natural game is and his strengths. Not the clowning around that Moore n Jones once asked of him , that made the poor bloke look an idiot. He was in and out under Bilic. He is a good solid centre half that can do a good job once you have a manager who can see the obvious. Hes also one if the few I actually see barking out instructions in a Capt like way. Unlike Livermore many weve had recently.
(02-20-2021, 06:06 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

I get where you’re coming from Birdy, but let’s face it, those players had had 18 months of very repetitive shape and positioning work, and whether or not Clark changed things they will have benefitted from that coaching... particularly on set pieces.

(02-20-2021, 06:05 PM)Pipes of Peace Wrote: Anyone thought the biggest problem has been in front of that defence for the last couple of seasons?

It did, but there were other reasons for that too.

This....he was only caught out positionally once today, he's getting better no doubt
(02-20-2021, 06:07 PM)baggie93 Wrote: Hes better because he is being asked to do what his natural game is and his strengths. Not the clowning around that Moore n Jones once asked of him , that made the poor bloke look an idiot. He was in and out under Bilic. He is a good solid centre half that can do a good job once you have a manager who can see the obvious. Hes also one if the few I actually see barking out instructions in a Capt like way. Unlike Livermore many weve had recently.

His problem I think has been his decision making with regard to defending the space or man. This has improved no doubt, if he improves greatly he could play much higher up the food chain IMVHO
(02-20-2021, 06:06 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

We need a progressive young manager to sort that one out, not a dinosaur like BFS.

Oh, hang on.........
If we keep BFS give him a new contract 100% as he is a traditional warrior-type centre half. If we want a younger, trendier manager then don't as he has proven under Dave primarily that he isn't the type who is comfortable playing out from the back.

(02-20-2021, 06:07 PM)baggie93 Wrote: Hes better because he is being asked to do what his natural game is and his strengths. Not the clowning around that Moore n Jones once asked of him , that made the poor bloke look an idiot. He was in and out under Bilic. He is a good solid centre half that can do a good job once you have a manager who can see the obvious. Hes also one if the few I actually see barking out instructions in a Capt like way. Unlike Livermore many weve had recently.
Spot on.