Overpaid Nancy Boys vs Albania
(03-30-2021, 11:09 AM)wba13 Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 11:52 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 10:32 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 06:48 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 06:33 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote: Because they will score more goals than us. No we're not.

You genuinely think Poland, without their only world class player, are better than us? Despite them having not beaten us since 1973? Despite being 15 places above them in the world rankings? And most importantly despite us having better players than them?

If you say so...

Comfortable win for England.

You're both deluded, Poland are clearly the better football team and will beat England easily.
There is only one deluded poster here and it’s not Duffers or baggie nick, comfortable for England, we are fast approaching a really good side with some exiting young talent anyone who doesn’t believe that knows nothing about football.

My issue is more with Southgate though. It's been a few times now he's playing two holders in the midfield when it wasn't required. Granted, Henderson is a shoe-in when fit and he's been out for a while but I'm not confident he knows his best team.
(03-30-2021, 12:20 PM)Fido Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 11:09 AM)wba13 Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 11:52 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 10:32 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 06:48 PM)Duffers Wrote: You genuinely think Poland, without their only world class player, are better than us? Despite them having not beaten us since 1973? Despite being 15 places above them in the world rankings? And most importantly despite us having better players than them?

If you say so...

Comfortable win for England.

You're both deluded, Poland are clearly the better football team and will beat England easily.
There is only one deluded poster here and it’s not Duffers or baggie nick, comfortable for England, we are fast approaching a really good side with some exiting young talent anyone who doesn’t believe that knows nothing about football.

My issue is more with Southgate though. It's been a few times now he's playing two holders in the midfield when it wasn't required. Granted, Henderson is a shoe-in when fit and he's been out for a while but I'm not confident he knows his best team.

Exactly right Fido.... GS was adored for doing a very average job at the last WC... We beat sides we should have beaten and when we came up against a decent, but not unbeatable, Croatia, we were outclassed. 

He’s been in the role for 4 years now, with the main reason for his appointment being the consistency of this age group from the U21s. For GS to still seem unsure of his best side, his best formation and approaching selections with a scattergun mentality is a concern.

Semi finals at the Euros is the minimum for me... we have one of the top 4 squads at the tournament, we potentially have home advantage, and we’ve had plenty of time to prepare.
Given that we’ll likely face one of France or Germany in the second round I would venture that we’ll either go out then or go on to win the whole thing.
(03-30-2021, 02:09 PM)Duffers Wrote: Given that we’ll likely face one of France or Germany in the second round I would venture that we’ll either go out then or go on to win the whole thing.

Well he’s had 12 months to come up with a plan for that eventuality!
(03-30-2021, 02:49 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 02:09 PM)Duffers Wrote: Given that we’ll likely face one of France or Germany in the second round I would venture that we’ll either go out then or go on to win the whole thing.

And there’s the problem - I don’t trust the plan. I actually like Southgate and the job he’s done over the last few years. He’s bombed out the older underperforming players of the last generation, brought through some exciting young talent and has largely picked squads on merit.

I don’t agree with the cautious formations and set ups though. We have an embarrassment of attacking talent and very little at the back. We won’t keep teams like Belgium and Germany out so need to focus more on attacking them.
The fact that fucking Mings keeps getting a game, would tend to indicate that we have "very little at the back."    Rolleyes
(03-30-2021, 11:19 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: I don't have an opinion on this, as I've never seen Poland play.
But I do recognise a nuclear football argument..."anyone who disagrees with me on X... knows nothing about football".
It's the equivalent of invoking Hitler on social media chat!
Funny.

Who is Hitler?  Did he have something to do with Poland?
(03-30-2021, 03:12 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 02:49 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

And there’s the problem - I don’t trust the plan. I actually like Southgate and the job he’s done over the last few years. He’s bombed out the older underperforming players of the last generation, brought through some exciting young talent and has largely picked squads on merit.

I don’t agree with the cautious formations and set ups though. We have an embarrassment of attacking talent and very little at the back. We won’t keep teams like Belgium and Germany out so need to focus more on attacking them.

Agree completely Duffers.

If you look at our best players they all play in teams that play with a 4 man defence, and for the most part play a variation of 433. To then ask them to play a back 3 at international level is ludicrous IMO, and unsettles the weakest area of our team, and removes a potential midfield body where we arguably need legs more than most continental teams.

In TAA and Shaw we now have two of the finest attacking fullbacks on the planet, and with AWB we have a very solid fullback who can compensate for Shaw’s attacks against better sides.

We then have a wealth of number 10s, and a front three of Sancho, Kane and Rashford with the likes of Barnes, Saka, Sterling, Grealish, Greenwood as wide options, DCL and Ings for the Kane role we need to be building a side that creates and causes havoc in the final third, not one that tries to keep it tight.
If I was picking a team right now...

Pickford
AWB Maguire Stones Shaw
Henderson Bellingham
Foden Grealish Sterling/Rashford
Kane

Then you have the likes of Sterling/Rashford, Sancho, Mount, Barnes, Calvert-Lewin and more to come in as required.
(03-30-2021, 04:16 PM)hudds Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 11:19 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: I don't have an opinion on this, as I've never seen Poland play.
But I do recognise a nuclear football argument..."anyone who disagrees with me on X... knows nothing about football".
It's the equivalent of invoking Hitler on social media chat!
Funny.

Who is Hitler?  Did he have something to do with Poland?
As you well know, Mr Huddersfield, it's a faraway country of which we know little. See above.