The Fosun Bubble...
(04-07-2021, 08:10 PM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote: The whole football bubble will burst. TV viewing figures are not going to be as high as they are now for ever. Not with entertainment technology gatheringnmpace all the time. So TV contracts will not be as valuable. Then you go on a downward spiral. What if Sky says one day, "Nah, we'll give it a miss, that's too much"?

The next tv contract will be interesting. I reckon Sky will pay for staggered kick off times and 100% of the games shown. Once they have this, they will really start dictating all subsequent contracts. Crowds will dwindle due to the inconvenience of kick off times, and games on TV etc.
(04-07-2021, 08:55 PM)Squid Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 08:04 PM)coxy134 Wrote: Crowds will dwindle or are dwindling at lots of clubs. Its just to expensive to simply watch football and not expect to see promotion, cup wins titles etc. Kids today want to support a glory team, much like a fashion and cant stand the stick from school/workmates about supporting a team that isn't doing well. I will be interested whether long term crowds will really return in vast numbers long term. Have youngsters during lockdown shifted their interest into Fifa rather than watching a game.

Who would invest with that uncertainty? 

Any company/owner who buys any business is looking for a payback (5years?)
Wolves havent achieved much more than we did when we finished at our best, yet spent far more, Villa the same. Football clubs are to much of an uncertainty unless its owned by a owner who simply wants to burn money.

According to John Richardson's Can We Have Our Football Back, attendances in Leagues One and Two have actually grown by 10% over the last ten years.

However, I agree that investing in a football is generally a mug's game. Unless you are into money laundering...

Yes lower league crowds are up over the last decade. Conference up too. Having been to a good few to complete the 92, I’m fairly certain it’s because it’s simply more like footy used to be! Terraces (sometimes), just more real somehow. Players not being zilionaires helps. Basically, everything is better except the actual standard of football!

And your point about money laundering at the higher level is spot on!
(04-07-2021, 08:58 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 08:10 PM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote: The whole football bubble will burst. TV viewing figures are not going to be as high as they are now for ever. Not with entertainment technology gatheringnmpace all the time. So TV contracts will not be as valuable. Then you go on a downward spiral. What if Sky says one day, "Nah, we'll give it a miss, that's too much"?

The next tv contract will be interesting. I reckon Sky will pay for staggered kick off times and 100% of the games shown. Once they have this, they will really start dictating all subsequent contracts. Crowds will dwindle due to the inconvenience of kick off times, and games on TV etc.

I don't think they can have 100% of games Chunky. Isn't there a monopolies issue where games have to be shared to different outlets? 

I was listening to Simon Jordan the other day who made some very interesting points. He believes the Premier league should start their own streaming platforms and sell the rights to each individual country. He believes income would dwarf what they currently get and make it look like a drop in the ocean. The technology is moving away from conventional TV bidding.
(04-07-2021, 09:42 PM)Peachy Wrote:

I don't think they can have 100% of games Chunky. Isn't there a monopolies issue where games have to be shared to different outlets? 

I was listening to Simon Jordan the other day who made some very interesting points. He believes the Premier league should start their own streaming platforms and sell the rights to each individual country. He believes income would dwarf what they currently get and make it look like a drop in the ocean. The technology is moving away from conventional TV bidding.

F1 has done this with F1TV and apparently it's been pretty successful, but it only applies to territories outside of those with TV rights deals.

I would imagine a similar thing would happen with respect to geographical restrictions were the Prem to try it though, so we'd still be lumbered with Sky and BT.

Yeah the monopolies commission ruled that the rights couldn’t just go to one provider.

Ironically sports broadcasting is the one thing you want a monopoly on. Would be much easier just paying one subscription to one company rather than needing Sky, BT and Amazon if you want to watch everything.
(04-07-2021, 09:56 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Yeah the monopolies commission ruled that the rights couldn’t just go to one provider.

Ironically sports broadcasting is the one thing you want a monopoly on. Would be much easier just paying one subscription to one company rather than needing Sky, BT and Amazon if you want to watch everything.
Didn't I read that Discovery are buying some too or did I dream it?
(04-07-2021, 10:03 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 09:56 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Didn't I read that Discovery are buying some too or did I dream it?

The 2030 rights are going to be split between The Discovery Channel, Granada Men & Motors and Channel 5 +1.
Yes the global TV rights deal could be a lot bigger, but the far more likely outcome is a breakaway by the big 6 who will demand the right to sell their own rights on their own platform, or they'll just go off and play a European Super League. There will be winners and losers but the one certainty is that the big 6 won't be losing out.
The big six don’t want to break away to a euro league. They use it as a threat to achieve a bigger share of the tv money. They make so much out the prem and want the best of both worlds. The fuckers.
Good comments, all.

Everything went wrong in the 70's when the equal split of gates was lost.

Having read the comments, I think the protection of global TV rights will be a major feature. I do think UK fans will suffer, and 3.00 on Saturday will not be linked to Prem football.