Euro Sceptics
I'm  bored with it already and it ay started yet. Too much media hype. Still, it takes her mind off The Plague.
(06-11-2021, 08:51 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Hate to sound like Ziz but as much as I detest Grealish normally. No denying he's a prodigal talent that could really have an impact at the Euros.

Hopefully it means someone buys him and Villa struggle next season.

You can call him anything you want regarding his diving and general greasiness… but those on here who seem determined to knock his ability are being wilfully myopic IMO.

For me he starts.
(06-11-2021, 09:02 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 08:51 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Hate to sound like Ziz but as much as I detest Grealish normally. No denying he's a prodigal talent that could really have an impact at the Euros.

You can call him anything you want regarding his diving and general greasiness… but those on here who seem determined to knock his ability are being wilfully myopic IMO.

For me he starts.

Definately.

For me, Kane up top obviously. Foden, Grealish and any one of Mount, Sancho, Rashford or Sterling behind. Tell them to just play their games, don't worry about defending.

Phillips and Rice in the middle to provide cover and both run box to box. 

Trippier and Shaw as our full backs since they are the most balanced. Maguire and Stones once Maguire is fit. 

I'd honestly start Johnstone in goal too, best shot stopper amd think that's the main criteria with that defence. 

For me, that gives us the best chance, excentuates our strengths and does the best to cover our weaknesses.

For me he starts.

For years, England has been at a disadvantage by not being as streetwise as many other countries. We like to think that we are less prone to the dark arts employed by other teams, but you don't have to go back to Maradonna to see examples of being turned over by more cynical teams. Beckham and Rooney both fell into traps designed to to get them off the pitch and we've always been susceptible against opponents using shady tactics.
The rest of the teams won't be operating like Corinthian Casuals and if Grealish, who, by the way, would get into any of the teams at the tournament, goes down at the slightest touch, it merely means that we'll be be operating on a level playing field.
I can’t fucking wait. I think we have a really decent team that will probably fall well short because of any world class Centre halves. Shame really, we are overloaded with quality full backs and attacking options. But any international squad that considers Tyrone Mings to be worthy of a place is doomed from the start!

Bring it on though ?
(06-11-2021, 09:24 AM)74bus Wrote:

For me he starts.

For years, England has been at a disadvantage by not being as streetwise as many other countries. We like to think that we are less prone to the dark arts employed by other teams, but you don't have to go back to Maradonna to see examples of being turned over by more cynical teams. Beckham and Rooney both fell into traps designed to to get them off the pitch and we've always been susceptible against opponents using shady tactics.
The rest of the teams won't be operating like Corinthian Casuals and if Grealish, who, by the way, would get into any of the teams at the tournament, goes down at the slightest touch, it merely means that we'll be be operating on a level playing field.

Good post. Not sure Mings will get away with too many forearm smashes mind!
(06-11-2021, 10:00 AM)Fido Wrote:

For me he starts.

Good post. Not sure Mings will get away with too many forearm smashes mind!
Agreed. Mings is the complete opposite of 'streetwise' though. He's a brainless thug who would be a total liability if, God forbid, he gets his place in the team.

For me he starts.

As much as i dislike Greasy's diving cheating antics in a perverse sort of way it may benefit us ,if you cant beat em join em as they say.
I enjoy the tournaments; always have. It’s actually enjoyable watching football most days; firstly that actually means something, but secondly that matters quite so much and is followed meaningfully by so many. It’s also great watching footy in the summer, too. So I find it as refreshing compared to the usual, over-hyped, predictable EPL shite, which can only be won by a rapidly decreased pool of teams, as I do from the relief of feigning an interest in cricket. Whilst there are clear favourites, it isn’t about which side cost the most to put together.

It’s interesting to read how many people despised Sven’s regime and the Golden Generation; all of whom proved to be nothing other than a massive let-down. In fact that combined era coincides entirely with the demise of the lads and I going out early to get the best seats in the pub, and being completely pissed-up for most matches (even qualifiers), to not doing it at all anymore. Those bunch of overhyped, self-important bonchholes (Terry, Roo, etc.) really did suck all of the life out of it. Or perhaps we grew up. Who knows.

I’ll still be hoping we can do as well as we can, and whilst I’m not really bothered right now I probably will be come Sunday afternoon. Much as though I can appreciate why some feel Southgate is out of his depth, he seems to mean well; and has far more humility than many of the no-marks that preceded him. I doubt we’ll win the tournament but there’s an outside chance if we get a few slices of luck, play the right way and our centre-halves magically hit form.

Much as Greasy is a twat, at least he’s cocky enough to turn up and not fold under the pressure, one hopes. Could be the next Gazza. We’ll see.